PDA

View Full Version : trout streams near the I-5 corridor

Jared
08-10-2016, 04:23 PM
I have a buddy coming to visit in a few weeks from oregon and I need to find some good trout streams to hit relatively close to the freeway. I think the plan is to meet up somewhere and fish our way down to my place in yuba city and then do the same on his way back north. We have waders but no way to float so walk-in/wade access is a must. Thanks everyone

Larry S
08-10-2016, 05:24 PM
Jared,
Upper Sac. For less than $10 you can get the Streamtime map of the Upper Sac - see the Kiene store or online store.
Dunsmuir has a shop or two for advice. Lots of rock hopping; never saw a rattler there, but, wouldn't be surprised
to learn that they exist.
Best,
Larry S
Sun Diego

Jared
08-10-2016, 07:30 PM
Jared,
Upper Sac. For less than $10 you can get the Streamtime map of the Upper Sac - see the Kiene store or online store.
Dunsmuir has a shop or two for advice. Lots of rock hopping; never saw a rattler there, but, wouldn't be surprised
to learn that they exist.
Best,
Larry S
Sun Diego

We ran into a bunch of snakes fishing the deschutes years ago and I carry a bite kit because of it so we'll be good. Do you have any idea of a landmark I can put in my gps to get us in the area?

NCL
08-11-2016, 06:26 AM
Jared

As mentioned the Upper Sac is parallel to I-5 for several miles, both The Fly Shop in Redding and the Ashland Fly shop should be able gibe you current conditions. Another option, depending on the flows, is the lower Sac. There are a few other places but it depend how far you want to venture off I-5?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-11-2016, 06:47 AM
Maybe look at the Pit or McCloud Rivers too.

If you call Bob Grace at the Ted Fay Fly Shop in Dunsmuir they can tell you how the Upper Sac, McCloud and Pit are fishing.

Larry S
08-11-2016, 07:01 AM
Jared,
Try the Sims Flat Campground, Castella, Ca 96017.
The Streamtime map is a wonderful tool; showing access points,
holes, flats, riffles, etc. All for under $10.
Enjoy,
Larry S

JayDubP
08-11-2016, 10:13 AM
Follow Bill's advice and consider the Pit and McCloud Rivers in addition to the Upper Sac. Better to go where the fishing is good.
Plus go see Kiene's shop, The Fly Shop in Redding (on your way) and then Ted Fays' shop in Dunsmuir. Between the 3, they will direct you to the best place for you and provide you with the best flies -- why drive all that way and spend the time without being properly prepared?

If you are dialed into the Upper Sac, absolutely get the Streamtime map plus there are many online maps and discussions about fishing access on the Upper Sac. Lots of dispersed camping along the Upper Sac, but the trains may keep you awake all night.
Cave springs Resort in Dunsmuir has some rustic cabins for $60+ a night.

Here are two good links and articles:

http://www.fishingtips101.com/favorite-california-waters/upper-sacramento-river.html

http://www.sacramentoriver.org/access_site.php?activities=Fishing

Looking forward to your trip report.

Jim

Ned Morris
08-11-2016, 12:17 PM
Give the Klamath a try. You never know

cdevine
08-12-2016, 06:54 AM
Give the Klamath a try. You never know

Been too a lot of fly shops in my life and Ted Fays is near the top for me. You won't meet a better person than Bob. You will want to spend as much time in there as you do on the water. Like Bill says, Pitt and Mcloud aren't that far away and have cooler water this time of the year.

Jared
08-14-2016, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I am really excited to hit the Pit but I haven't been able to get in touch with my buddy to pass it by him. Switching topics real quick, does anyone know how the yuba river at the hwy 20 overpass is fishing? I might try to hit that up later today