PDA

View Full Version : Stanley, Idaho

spekstrom
08-10-2016, 07:19 AM
I'll be in the Stanley basin in mid-September for 5 days. I like combining 5-10 mile day hikes with stream and lake fishing. I'd sure appreciate any ideas people might have.

Thanks!
Steve.

k9mark
08-10-2016, 08:48 AM
Try contacting http://mccoystackleshop.com/

johnsquires
08-10-2016, 10:27 AM
From Silver Creek Outfitters, a bit of info:
"There is a fire near Stanley Lake making the area potentially smokey. The Lowman Fire may also send smoke into the valley depending on the wind. At the moment, we have not had to cancel any trips, but please check with us if you have any concerns. The upper river is very low, but we are still floating the lower reaches. The dry fly fishing remains strong thanks to the Spruce Moth; try a size 16 or 14 cream colored Elk Hair Caddis or Yellow Stimulator to imitate this bug. Fishing dry dropper style with size 14-16 bead head nymphs is also productive for trout and whitefish."
You might want to check where the burn was and plan your hikes accordingly.

JayDubP
08-10-2016, 12:51 PM
I'll be in the Stanley basin in mid-September for 5 days. I like combining 5-10 mile day hikes with stream and lake fishing. I'd sure appreciate any ideas people might have.

Thanks!
Steve.

Search on Boulder White Clouds Trailhead - it is about 30 miles from Stanley above the East Fork of the Salmon and has several trails into high mountain lakes for day trips of multi-day trips. West of Stanley is Bear Valley Creek, but check the fishing regs for your dates.. Bear Valley Creek & Marsh Creek converge to form the Middle Fork of the Salmon River near Dagger Falls (beautiful place to see) at the edge of Frank Church Wilderness. Bear Valley Creek is an easy & beautiful float but you will need a shuttle.
A popular day hike near Stanley is Alpine Lake and Sawtooth Lake from the trailhead near Stanley Lake or from end of Redfish Lake.. Float tube would be great help.

John Sv
08-10-2016, 01:31 PM
A recent issue of NW Fly fishing has an article on a chain of lakes in there with grayling, and then an article on the east fork Salmon. If I remember when I get home, and I still have the rag, I'll post the issue #

Jake O
08-10-2016, 04:02 PM
Sounds like your looking for more of an adventure, but you can't go ring fishing on the middle fork about ten miles out of town (not towards the hatchery---the other direction). Had a wedding to go to and snuck away in the mornings a couple days about three years ago and slayed trout on natural color small streamers/mudlers. Coolest part was in one run I caught a brown, rainbow, cutthroat, and bull trout. (Brown might have been a brook--cannot remember). Bull was a smaller one but did catch some nice sized cuts around 19-20

spekstrom
08-16-2016, 09:38 AM
Thanks everyone. This is great information!