PDA

View Full Version : Why I am a proud supporter of GOLDEN GATE SALMON ASSOCIATION

STEELIES/26c3
08-06-2016, 08:16 PM
Taken from another thread...

I will add that the Golden Gate Salmon Association makes better decisions about our salmon fisheries than the California Department of Fish and Wildlife and GGSA is a NON-PROFIT, volunteer-based organization!

J.D. Richey of Richey’s Sport Fishing has returned from the Togiak River in Alaska, and he plans on starting working the Woodson Bridge section of the Sacramento River by mid-August before heading up to the Trinity and Klamath Rivers in September and October. He said, “This is the first time I have felt positive about the salmon run on the Sacramento River since 2011 since the majority of smolts were transported to the net pens three years ago, and with the 12.7 million fish released, they have a far higher survival rate. With the high water this year from the releases out of Oroville and Folsom along with the coming cold water out of Shasta, this should be a good season. Plus the salmon are just now starting to show up along the coast. The fish should be coming.” Well JD we can confirm they are! Outside the Golden Gate we has seen far higher counts than last season and there are also schools of fish working through the waters off Bodega Bay. After months of dead slow action (other than the Golden gate) out of most ports we are seeing an influx of both spawn run (breeders) and (feeder) salmon off the Marin and Sonoma coastlines. These fish are staging and will be making a move into the Delta and Central Valley rivers in the next several weeks. This writer was very pessimistic in early July but I'm signing a far more optimistic tune now with the recent influx of fish pushing down along the coast.
You can thank the Golden Gate Salmon Association for nearly every salmon that will be taken along the coast or in the CV rivers this season. The majority of the fish that are being caught along the coast now are of hatchery organ. Thanks to GGSA convincing the state and the Feds to truck fish around the warm river flows and Delta water diversions the past three years we are seeing those fish returning now. If not for trucking we would have likely seen far fewer salmon and possibly no season at all if not for their efforts. That said GGSA needs the support of sport anglers and guides in the Central Valley to continue to return out salmon fisheries to their glory. This cannot be done without the support of YOU sport anglers.

The section of the Sacramento River from the Deschutes Road bridge to the Red Bluff Diversion Dam opened Monday August 1st and like the lower river opener the bite was slow. A few fish were taken off the Barge Hole among the few dozen boats working the choice spots from here to Red Bluff. There are schools of salmon pushing through the upper Delta and Metro Sac section and several salmon have been landed in Benicia off the shoreline in the past few days. Overall with higher colder river flows and fish pushing up in early August is a great sign of better things to come.