PDA

View Full Version : 3 Day in the end of August

ICE
08-05-2016, 03:45 PM
Looking for some seasoned thoughts on where to go at the end of the month. Any thoughts on what could be a good bet? 3 days Monday thru Wednesday.

Lower Sac. Float / Upper Sac. Wade -
Pit River -
Yuba / Tributaries - Downieville
Feather River - Belden Area

Other thoughts......

Thanks,
Justin Ice

Morgan
08-05-2016, 09:45 PM
I would go with your first option on the top. Lower and Upper. Although I still have not fished the upper. But the lower is a blast!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-05-2016, 10:31 PM
Lower Rogue River for salmon and Half-pounder Steelhead.

Fish very early and quit by noon then go enjoy the ocean.

ICE
08-05-2016, 11:01 PM
Leaning toward the Upper / Lower bobbers get boring but the bite is a blast.
Oregon was not out of the question.... Rock fishing in the afternoon? Could be an option
Downieville is still very attractive. Morning fish Mt. Bike shuttle into the tributaries / head waters, Downie River. Any one got any intel? I might have just got a couple extra days added....... This will be my first real trip this summer. Two girls 2 and 3.75 going on 14. Gottta make it count.

Justin

Thank you Thank you

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-06-2016, 07:03 AM
I would stay away from the Upper Sac then but maybe the Pit or McCloud Rivers would be fishing some.

Other option would be the high country?

cdevine
08-06-2016, 04:17 PM
I would stay away from the Upper Sac then but maybe the Pit or McCloud Rivers would be fishing some.

Other option would be the high country?

I think the NFYR with some mtn biking is a great option. You have colder tributaries feeding that water shed and its going to fish well all the way into September this year. Last year was thin everywhere as we all know.

Upper Sac is pretty tough right now. Warm water and lower flows. I would mix in the lower sac float and hit the Pit or Mccloud like Bill says if you hit this option. I could spend a lifetime on the mccloud personally.

Good luck and either way you really can't go wrong. Its been a good summer and most of our fisheries have come back strong.

NCL
08-07-2016, 06:21 AM
The flows on the Lower Sac are at 10500 CFS which makes it tougher wading. With that said the flows may start to drop by late August, I seem to remember the flows started dropping later (September/ October) but that is from memory which isn't that great on good days. I guess this is the long way of saying check the flows.

JayDubP
08-07-2016, 07:57 AM
Klamath River if the half-pounders are in.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-07-2016, 08:50 AM
Fishing in late August for 3 days many will either go to the coast or to the high country.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

The coast could be the Lower Klamath or the Lower Rogue Rivers for Half-ponder Steelhead and salmon.

This could also include surf fishing or inshore in a small to medium size boat.

In a larger boat this is salmon, halibut, rock fish and albacore fishing out in the Nor Cal Pacific Ocean.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

The high country could be an over-nighter with the Kennedy Meadows Pack Station?

It is about 3 hours drive from Sacramento to the pack station east of Sonora, CA.

Web site: http://www.kennedymeadows.com/

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7PNJLEjKsQ

ICE
08-09-2016, 06:41 AM
Thanks for all the feed back folks, I've been kept dry for most of the last 2 years so your input is greatly appreciated. I think I'll be hitting the Yuba. I'll post back as to how it goes.

J. Ice

wineslob
08-09-2016, 09:21 PM
I'll second the "high areas". I am, however, lucky, the West Branch of the Feather and Butte Creek are fishing well, with good flows. Nothing big, but still fun and only 20-40 min from my house depending on where I want to go.