PDA

View Full Version : Over 50 years of Steelheading - there have been many changes.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-03-2016, 09:36 AM
I got into the fishing tackle business over 50 years ago and met some of the best Steelheaders of the Greatest Generation.

I was very lucky that some of them took me with them to the rivers of Northern California.

At that time the average Steelhead rod was a 9' #9 line fiberglass in 2 sections.

We used a large single action fly reel, mostly the Pflueger Medalist or a large Hardy from England.

For backing we used Gudebrod or Cortland Micron braided dacron line.

The favorite shooting line was Cortland Cobra that was oval monofilament but people were constantly trying many other monofilament lines to see what would work best.

Most use 30' factory Cortland or Scientific Angler sinking shooting heads in different sink rates to match the depth and speed of the water. Some made their own heads by cutting up double taper sinking lines. ST10S = 300 grains was the norm but we also use to weigh heads in grains to get exactly the weight to make our rods cast best.

Leader were simple, maybe just 2 to 3 pieces of mono and fairly short.

Flies were simple, either winged classics for longer rivers or Comet style for shorter rivers, on average.

We fished longer rivers in the fall that were rock and gravel like the Lower American, Lower Feather, Klamath or Trinity.

The short rivers were the Gualala, Garcia and others that we fished in the winter near the ocean.

We watched the Grease Line or full floating line fishing come in around the 1970s coming down from Oregon and Washington.

Next came the Indicator fishing in the 1980s, first for trout, then for Steelhead.

Now the big deal that started about the turn of the century around here is Spey casting so we are swinging flies ago.

Idadon
08-04-2016, 07:36 AM
Sadly, I remember most of what you spoke of. Getting old I think. One aspect of steelhead fishing, the use of indicators, stands out. I first watched a fisherman use an indicator for Steelies over on the Gualala in the late eighties. As I recall, I was using a shooting head in the third run up (Thompsons?). We knew there were fish there because my son was sitting across the river spotting them. However nobody was hooking up. Up walks this guy with an indicator rig, gets above us, and immediately hooks up. Three fish! Lesson learned.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-04-2016, 09:51 AM
I think Andre Puyans of Creative Sports was the first to use a spun and clipped deer hair indicator on the Gualala River in the drought of the late 1970s.

My old friend Joe Shirshac had a Super 8 m/m movie of this.

Idadon
08-04-2016, 11:20 AM
I used to go into Andre's shop in Pleasant Hill all the time. I really enjoyed the messiness of the place. The table full of necks, saddles and other stuff. Fun to root thru it all. Andre was a great guy and passed along some good advise on occasion. Wonder if that shop is still there?