PDA

View Full Version : winston vs scott vs echo

joseph28
07-29-2016, 08:27 PM
For the past few years i have been fly fishing i have been using the hendrickson outdoors rods that i got at the ise show in sacramento. i try to get a new rod every year in a different weight so i am on the hunt for next years rod. since im able to get a job this year i am wanting get a higher end rod. the rod companies i have been looking at are echo, scott and winston. i do fish the delta alot now but im trying to fish the mountians and since im getting my drivers license in a few months i will be able to fish the mountians more. thanks

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-29-2016, 09:43 PM
Hardly any name brand companies make bad rods now.

Sage, Orvis, Winston and Scott....in that order of popularity make the best high end rods.

All these companies make less expensive series which all cast well and hold up good too.

*How most of the best fly casters pick a new rod is by casting as many as they can in that same size.

joseph28
07-29-2016, 09:53 PM
Hardly any name brand companies make bad rods now.

Sage, Orvis, Winston and Scott....in that order of popularity make the best high end rods.

All these companies make less expensive series which all cast well and hold up good too.

*How most of the best fly casters pick a new rod is by casting as many as they can in that same size.

thanks i know sage and orvis have great rods but i was trying to get the hand made craftsmanship. is sage and orvis handmade?

amoeba
08-01-2016, 06:48 PM
thanks i know sage and orvis have great rods but i was trying to get the hand made craftsmanship. is sage and orvis handmade?

All of Sage and Scott, and I think all of Winston are made in the USA; the higher end Orvis are also made in the USA. They call them "factory" builds, but they are pretty much entirely built by hand by people, not machines - if that is what you are asking.

There is a variety of performance characteristics in rods. The quality of USA-built rods is very high. You should try some out.