PDA

View Full Version : Smallmouth Bass in moving water in CA.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-29-2016, 06:33 PM
Over my 50 years in the fishing tackle business in Sacramento, California I have been fascinated with the SMB, especially in moving water.

Many fly fishers have a special love for SMB especially in rivers and streams.

My first recollection of SMB action was fishing above Auburn in the American River near Lake Clementine catching small SMB that had a green cast to them. Back then, 1960ish, we were using small Colorado Spinners.

Then my dad and brothers were on the Consommés River near Plymouth when you could park at a bridge and fish the river. We were also snorkeling and the river was full of small SMB and Sacramento Pike / Squawfish. I remember that a Muddler Minnow worked well.

Always heard about SMB in the Bear River that flows out of Camp Far West near Lincoln.

Heard stories forever of SMB in the Russian River over near Healdsburg in the wine country. I did recently here about some very good fishing from a friend who was over there visiting his daughter at college.

Upper Putah Creek above Lake Berryessa has SMB up near Middletown.

__________________________________________________ __

The Lower Feather River is one of the top fisheries for SMB but things have to be right. Met a young man who grew up in Yuba City and fished the Feather River with his father for decades from a small aluminum boat. He said it was good from mid-summer thru into the fall (July - October). He said they would launch near the mouth of the Yuba River where there are two launch ramps. He said they fished in the warm evenings from 5:00 pm till dark with small / medium poppers. He said they usually ran upstream for a ways and fish around the dead trees in the water on the banks. The flow needs to be down around 2,000 cfs or lower. This low flow is critical for evening top water fly fishing.

Al Perryman and Mike Fong both fished the Lower Feather River down by the mouth near Verona in the summer. Al told Mike that the flows had to get down below 2,500 cfs before the fly fishing got good. I believe the entire length of the Lower Feather River from around Gridley downstream to the mouth can be good for SMB.

__________________________________________________ ____

The moving waters of the Lower Sacramento River from around Anderson down stream into the Sacramento Delta has SMB.

Some can be very large. You need to find some structure, wing dams or a mouth of a small tributary or a side slough when fishing above Sacramento.

Nor Cal guide Hogan Brown has this fisheries along with Stripers up there dialed in so he might be a good person to book a trip with in the summer.

Lots of the very small tributaries of the Sacramento River above Sacramento have SMB in them. Lots of this land is private so it is a challenge to get to them. Up near Red Bluff is tiny Salt Creek which has lots of small SMB. I think Mill Creek and Deer Creek have SMB in the lower reaches before they go into the Sacramento River. Mat Johnson and Andy Guibord have been fishing up that way.

Getting down below Sacramento going into the Delta I would recommend guide Bryce Tedford for someone to get out with to catch SMB.

Many Valley rivers south of Sacramento on the west slop of the foothills like the Consumnes, Mokelumne, Satanislaus, Caliveras, Tuolumne and Merced River should have SMB in them. Finding them in sections that are not fished much is key. Being south of Sacramento I am not as knowledgeable as I am on river a little closer to me. There are a handful of guides who live and work on those rivers who might be able to get you connected to those fisheries.

Oregon has 3 of the top SMB river on the west coast.

The Lower Umpqua River, The John Day River and the Grande Ronde River in the summer. All these rives have guides who will float you down these remote rivers.

The Lower Snake River has been famous for big SMB for decades. Joe Brooks did a famous magazine article on fly fishing for the 5 pounders back in the 1960s. I read that article when I was a kid.

The Eastern US has many top SMB rivers too.

Famous Bob Clouser has a fly shop and guides the Susquehanna River for SMB near Middletown, PA.

The Lower Delaware River near Washington, DC is suppose to be a good SMB fishery.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-29-2016, 06:36 PM
This is probably good info from the CA DF&W from retired biologist friend Dennis Lee

Bill;

A list of California rivers known to have fishable smallmouth bass populations. I added my subjective assessment of the quality for fishing, fair, good, best, based on number and size of fish.

Cosumnes River – Highway 16 Bridge downstream – good (may actually contain redeye, spotted, and smallmouth bass and hybrids) - good

Cosumnes River – Latrobe Road Bridge upstream – fair (no public access) -fair

Kings River above Pine Flat Reservoir to Garnet Dike – good

Kings River North Fork, from confluence with Kings River upstream – fair

Lower Feather River down and upstream Nicolas area – good

Merced River below confluence with South Fork – fair

Mokelumne River, both South and North Forks in vicinity of New Hope Landing down and upstream – good (actually has redeye, spotted, and smallmouth bass and hybrids)

Putah Creek above Lake Berryessa to Middle Town (poor public access) - best

Russian River Healdsburg downstream Guerneville - good

Sacramento River, immediately above Shasta Lake (a few smallmouth bass, mostly spotted bass) -fair

Sacramento River, Main Stem from Cache Creek Slough downstream to Cross Delta Gates – best

Sacramento River, Main Stem from Old Sacramento upstream to confluence with Feather River - good

San Joaquin River below Millerton Lake to Highway 99 – fair

Many of these rivers have poor public access but some can be accessed by floating or small powerboat. Others like Putah Creek above Lake Berryessa are almost totally within private property. Best time for most rivers is mid-summer to fall as stream flow drops to fishable levels and water temperatures rise. The main Sacramento River in the Cache Creek downstream reach is an exception and can be great in the early spring and throughout the summer and fall. Actually, smallmouth and spotted bass may be found throughout the Sacramento River (habitat dependent) from the Woodson Bridge Recreation Area downstream to the Delta area.

Hope this is helpful,

Dennis
www.dennisplee.com

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-29-2016, 06:40 PM
Here is some info from top fly fisher Matt Johnson who works for the CA DF&W in Red Bluff and live in Los Molios right on the Sacramento River.

__________________________________________________ ___

Hi Bill. Article looks good!

I would say that all of the tributaries of the Sacramento between Chico and Redding have smallmouth in them. Some are better than others and populations seem to vary year to year?

I think smallmouth move up the creeks from the Sacramento in the spring to spawn. Then they back out before the water gets too low. I have observed this snorkeling on Deer and Mill.

I would say the main stem Sacramento has smallmouth all the way up to at least Anderson. Literally miles of river to fish but you have to spend time figuring out their habitat I think?

Wonderful fish. If I had more fishing days I would definitely spend more time trying to figure them out!

Matt

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-29-2016, 07:08 PM
Mid-summer thru fall = July thru October is a good time for SMB in rivers.

Early and late or in shade is good for top water.

Medium size light colored poppers or small Pole Dancers are nice on top.

Clouser Minnows, Woolley Buggers and Muddlers are good streamers.

JAWallace
07-30-2016, 12:10 AM
Great post Bill, thanks. You know how much I love smallies.

A couple of weeks ago I fished with Maury Hatch in the North Delta and the Sac for smallies. All surface, or about 90%. We got maybe 25 between us, nothing big. I'd say 3-4 were legal. All on poppers though so it was really fun, but with no fish it's fun to fish with Maury.

I want to motor up the Consumes towards the preserve. I've heard that can be good. I really want to try the lower Feather too, up from Verona. I know that can be dicey with an outboard, but my boat is small enough to push off sandbars.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-30-2016, 05:45 AM
Great John

Keep us posted......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-30-2016, 05:53 AM
Fly Fishing Guides who chase SMB in rivers:

Bryce Tedford = http://www.brycetedfordflyfishing.com/ North Delta

Maury Hatch = http://www.firsthatchguideservice.com/ North Delta

Hogan Brown = http://www.hgbflyfishing.com/hgbflyfishing/Welcome.html North of Sacramento

Andy Guibord = https://andyguibord.wordpress.com/guiding-instruction/ Nor Cal

Rob Russell = http://rrflyfishing.blogspot.com/ Russian River

__________________________________________________ _____

Marty Sheppard = http://fly-fishing-guide-oregon.com/guides/about/ John Day River & Grand Ronde, OR

Big K Outfitters = http://www.bigkoutfitters.com/umpqua-river-fishing/smallmouth-bass/ Umpqua River, OR

__________________________________________________ ______

Bob Clouser = http://www.clouserflyfishing.com/aboutus.html Pennsilvania

**Let me know if you have a fly fishing guide who goes after SMB in moving water?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-30-2016, 06:36 AM
Nice article on SMB Fly fishing by Little Creek Outfitters guide Byron Begley

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/pages/fishing/smallmouth.html

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-30-2016, 03:10 PM
I asked top Nor Cal fly fishing guide Hogan Brown to write up something for us about chasing SMB:

__________________________________________________ _______________

OK Bill

Tackle?

I fish a 9' 7wt with Air Flo Streamer Max Short line usually or on smaller water I fish a 8' 5wt with a floating WF5 Streamer Max Floating line. One key is what ever line rod combo you fish make sure you can chuck some serious weight to get down to the fish and that the fly line has a braided core NOT a mono core so you can pick up the smallest and faintest grabs as well as stay in touch with the bottom.

Leaders?

short usually straight mono in the 10-15lb range. Fluorocarbon is a must.

Flies?

I fish a pretty simple selection. I am not a believer that smallmouth are super selective about flies in the water I fish...mainly rivers and creeks. I think it is more important that the fly is presented in a way they want...depth, speed of retrieve, movement, etc. I fish simple olive woolly bugger variations and small rust colored cray fish patterns. All patterns must ride hook point up to be dragged or fished right on the bottom. I also will adjust sink rate by using tungsten beads as sliders in front of the fly.

Time of year?

Spring - Fall...just really depends on the year. I like mid summer on smaller waters and rivers to sight fish to fish. Spring though on bigger rivers like the Feather and Sac are best as the fish are most active and more predictable.

Time of day?

When ever you can go...

No secret places.....

Good luck, Hogan Brown

http://www.hgbflyfishing.com/hgbflyfishing/Welcome.html

JAWallace
07-31-2016, 12:42 PM
Had a chance to play with the new Rio braided core line (ConnectCore). It has virtually no stretch. I'll start replacing my older mono core sinkers with it as they continue to wear. It's too bad Rio can't engineer a ghost tip/slime line with braided core; maybe they or another line maker can figure that out.

For me it's hard to determine the best flies, because the results are often largely indicative of how much you fish with a certain fly. My bias for smallies is a Zonker in various colors and sizes. It just seems to work for me, but because of that I don't use much else, except for crayfish patterns, for subsurface.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-05-2016, 09:38 AM
Here is a wonderful info piece for fly fishing the Russian River for Smallmouth Bass by guide Rob Russell.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Russian River Smallmouth Bass

The season for fishing the Russian is roughly March through November.

The low-light times of the day, dawn and dusk are the best time of day, however fish can be caught all-day even in mid-summer, with the exception being hot days above 95 or so. Starting at the surface and fishing deeper as the sun angle increases is the most effective strategy.

The river from basically the town of Forestville upstream to Hopland, some thirty plus river miles, has the highest concentration of bass.

Clousers in lighter natural colors
Woolly Buggers in olive and black
Simi-seal leeches in black

Those top three will get the job done most days. Clousers are most effective in the Spring. Leeches in Summer.

Topwater is dependent on very low-light conditions but can be very good with the topwater bass fly of your choice.
White poppers and small pole dancers are good.

I would be happy to expand on any of the above if needed:

Thank you Bill - I really appreciate and respect your consideration and support... - Rob

http://rrflyfishing.blogspot.com/ Russian River

Rocksteady1
08-12-2016, 08:13 AM
I've fished with Rob Russell in the Russian for smallies and he really knew his stuff. I'm surprised more people don't fish for them especially when trout fishing slows down. It's totally a blast and just different enough from trout that it's educational.

Bernard
08-22-2016, 04:55 PM
What a great thread. Decades ago when I do believe we had some legal access points, I fished above Berryessa in late spring. We'd get lake run trout in the mix. I also fished the Consumnes ... What memories. Outside of Nor Cal, there are SMBs in the ol' Colorado River and people who target them near Blythe, Havasu etc.
B.

Jake O
08-23-2016, 01:22 PM
IMO the best time to fish smallmouth on the feather is in the evenings now through October (and the more you get into October the better the fishing is all day). What bill says about fishing next to the fallen trees is right. However, I kid you not when I say that your popper needs to be casted directly next to the tree. I cannot tell you how many times I have fished the river and will not get bit if my popper is merely a foot off the tree and then I throw it right on top and get hammered. Lots of small fish but some much bigger fish mixed in. The Feather actually has a pretty healthy population of smallie/spotted bass hybrids that grow pretty big too. My biggest on the river was about 8 pounds on conventional gear years ago. One of the best places to fish for bigger smallies/hybrids on the feather is below the Yuba city boat ramp about a mile where there is a stretch of river with some submerged pylons. Great place to toss some clousers/buggers mid mornings in October for bigger fish. Another great spot is up near live oak up the hongcut creek arm--some very good SM fishing in there. Anywhere north of the bridge in town is good too all the way up to the railroad bridge where passing in a boat is a little sketch depending upon flows.

The Feather bass fishery is very under-utilized. Because it is a pretty narrow window in terms of good fishing (last hour and a half of light) this time of year, i think its hard for people from sac to get motivated to tow a boat up there to fish for such a short time.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-23-2016, 02:01 PM
Hello Jacob Ouzts...thanks for coming on here.

Jacob is one of the SMB guys who told me about the Lower Feather River some years back.

I think there are SMB in the entire Lower Feather River from below the town of Oroville downstream to the mouth going into the Sacramento near Verona.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-23-2016, 02:48 PM
Just got more SMB info from Gordon Langenbech from southern Oregon.

Bill,

The South Fork of the Umpqua River between Canyonville and Roseburg has an excellent SMB fishery.

Gordon Langenbeck
Sent from my iPhone

__________________________________________________ _

JAWallace
08-23-2016, 02:58 PM
It does, the fish tend to run larger than in the John Day I believe, and the access is easy and plentiful. It does get some recreational traffic in the summer though.