PDA

View Full Version : Jenkinson Lake Report

JAWallace
07-26-2016, 08:43 AM
Went up last night against odds and with low expectations, but hoping to find some feeding smallies on top around dusk. Expectations were met. We were getting action on a Muddler Minnow in the obvious spots only with tiny fish, and did not hook any. We were encouraged to find the fry, assumed the better fish would be feeding on them, no dice.

Observed two prolific midge hatches around dusk, no rises. I graphed a few in the 18-20' range over 20-25' depths, but could not get any interest fishing usual patterns with a T-200 line. Went in the main lake to run the boat around and check the sonar, saw a couple of large fish 80-100' down, likely Macks. Boat traffic was minimal. WT was consistent throughout the lake at 76.3-76.6 deg.and the water level was as high as I've seen it in several years. Checking my notes over the past few years, I have not done well there after June and before mid-September, but the lake is just too nice not to try. If I go back before early fall it will be in the AM. Seems that's the best bet for bass in the hot weather; evenings have not produced for me. Non-purists would be better off with drop-shotting, or just hit the Delta for about a 100% chance of hooking up with smallies in the right areas. Expect mostly small fish there though if you're using poppers.

JR Martinez
07-28-2016, 11:13 AM
I was at Jenkinson in early May when it was cold, cloudy and drizzling off and on but the water was still warm. Hooked up on a large smallie but it got off. A few casts later about 10-15 feet down caught a decent smallie on bright green beetle. Luckily I have a place I go that usually produces good evenings for bluegill, redear and small largemouth.