PDA

View Full Version : Why would I want to go to New Zealand to catch trout?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-25-2016, 06:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVZNLRpoccI

Todd Moen Video

steveg137
07-25-2016, 07:03 PM
If I can get my knee healthy will be back for 3 trip, love that place.

If I ever hook a 7lb trout in the USA I'll remember guides advice to keep below the fish.

Alosa
07-26-2016, 12:14 AM
Todd Moen is an amazing film maker.

PV_Premier
07-26-2016, 07:56 AM
New Zealand is legendary. What many people don't realize is that (a) the number of fish per mile in many areas of the back-country is very low, necessitating strong catch and release focus and (b) there are many, many opportunities for self-guided fishing, especially in the north island.

less than 8 weeks until my triumphant return to the land of milk and honey. I CAN"T WAIT!!!

Jeff F
07-26-2016, 10:05 AM
I understand these videos only show big fish caught. But it seems like there aren't very many smaller fish in these streams. Is there some issue with spawning in these rivers? Lack of biomass to support many fish? With that pristine, unmolested water, it seems like there would be tons of bugs to eat, and hence fish of all sizes. But you only see the alpha-fish being caught.

PV_Premier
07-26-2016, 07:53 PM
I understand these videos only show big fish caught. But it seems like there aren't very many smaller fish in these streams. Is there some issue with spawning in these rivers? Lack of biomass to support many fish? With that pristine, unmolested water, it seems like there would be tons of bugs to eat, and hence fish of all sizes. But you only see the alpha-fish being caught.

fish per mile are low, because bug life isn't as abundant as you would think and in high elevation streams, especially on the South Island, the growing season is short. the big fish are quite old, probably 2-3 years older on average than a similar size fish in the western US.

i am not real familiar with the spawning habits or success of the fish in NZ but i have a few contacts i will reach out to and see if they have any insight.

on my first trip to NZ north island, I saw more diversity in the sizes of fish versus the South Island, where most of what you catch are 3-7 pounds.

TyV
07-26-2016, 09:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVZNLRpoccI

Todd Moen Video

Crazy. I kept thinking. That looks a lot like Chris Daughters...who owns the Caddis Fly Shop in Eugene, OR. Sure enough, I went out into the info for the video and it IS Chris Daughters. I didn't know he had a lodge down there as well. Would recognize that smile anywhere. Great guy, great shop...and great video. Just another excuse to cross that one off the bucket list. Someday...

Thanks for sharing!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-26-2016, 10:36 PM
I got to go on a free door to door industry trip to NZ about 30 years ago.

Every year the NZ government, NZ Tourist department, 4 lodges and the NZ airlines invited a different group to come to see how wonderful NZ is and to help get more people to come fish there.

My very good friends, Pete and Josette Woolley, owners of Fly Fishing Outfitters, recommended that I was chosen after they went the year before.

Two weeks of fishing at 4 lodges, 2 on South Island and 2 on North Island.

Was with about 12 really good guys in the fly fishing industry.

Guides, travel agents and fly shop folks made up the group.

Everyone keep saying, "Where are the small fish?"

Like Australia, people from New Zealand like 'Yanks'.

I guess they feel we had something to do with keeping the Japanese from occupying their countries during WWII.

Go if you get a chance....very diverse fishing situations and nice people.

Would not say it is a good trip for beginners.

PV_Premier
07-27-2016, 07:52 AM
Go if you get a chance....very diverse fishing situations and nice people.

Would not say it is a good trip for beginners.

There are some reasonable beginner opportunities in the country, IMO, but they are not necessarily the "classic" NZ experience of flying in on an helicopter and throwing dries at a 12 pound brown in gin-clear pocket water.

The Lake Taupo basin on the North Island has a ton of fish, they are not particularly difficult to catch, particularly in early spring. It is mostly a nymphing game, or streamers in the lakes. There are some dry fly opportunities on terrestrials in mid-summer (Jan-Feb).

Same for the Canterbury region of the South Island.

Sea run brown trout are abundant, large, and very aggressive in early spring when they chase bait in from the ocean into the tidal estuaries and lower parts of the rivers. I am taking an entire trip in late September focusing on SR Brown fishing.

October and December are two of the best months to visit, IMO. Good weather mostly, and fewer tourists relative to mid-summer months.

October in NZ ~ March in CA
December NZ ~ May-June in CA

end of season can also be very good as the fish "fatten up" for winter.

earlier this year the exchange rate was absolutely killer at .64, it's still not bad at .70...and yes, the people are absolutely wonderful, and the scenery is to die for.

DLJeff
07-27-2016, 08:19 AM

Depends on the river. There are plenty of rivers that hold multiple generations of trout - just like most trout streams. You'll see everything from tiny minnows to 3 inch parr to twelve inchers up to a few big fish. Then there are other rivers that are primarily the domain of big sea run brown trout. In the latter, you rarely see smaller fish (I suspect that's a combination of the predatory aptitude of the big browns and the limiting food supply).

steveg137
07-27-2016, 10:32 AM
Self guided we had days of 20+ fish around 2lb + with some big ones mixed in.

On trophy waters it is more typically stalk big fish game

net so much great fishing there and once you know where to go self guided is fine. But I'd always choose to do couple trips with guides as well as doing stuff on my own.