PDA

View Full Version : I am so glad about the new flows on the Pit River

amoeba
07-23-2016, 12:23 PM
Because the flows are better for the fish, increased the fishable habitat, and reduced fishing pressure by spreading people out and weeding out the meek - especially by guides with clients who don't want to wet wade. Those former 150 cfs flows were ridiculously low.

Thank you very much, PG&E, Forest Service, and US and California Fish and Wildlife Services. Great job on the new license, both the flows, and the new campgrounds; and didn't knuckle under to whining guides. Hope you can do it again in the next renewal, ~25 years from now. Wish you would do the same right now for the McCloud relicense, which suffers the same blight of overfishing from everybody, their brother, sister, and their guide, as did the Pit, but its not looking like it.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-23-2016, 05:32 PM
Good for the fish......bad for wading......especially for old timers.

Why do you think the flows were raised?

amoeba
07-28-2016, 03:40 PM
Good for the fish......bad for wading......especially for old timers.

Why do you think the flows were raised?

Well - I don't have to guess; the re-license filings are Public. There was a great deal of slow water, some warming, a lot of squawfish/sucker habitat where there could be more trout, as well as torrent sedge covering the margins; all of which could be improved by higher flows. The main reason was the USFS 4e mandatory conditioning; otherwise, there would have probably been a late summer-early fall tapering down to about 275 instead of the minimum flows of 350-450 throughout the year.

It's just water, you know. Just get yourself some farmer johns and shin guards. Maybe a helmet with a Simms logo. Think of it as swimming in body armor with a fishing rod.

JasonB
07-29-2016, 05:09 AM
I have to agree about the higher flows on the Pit. I'm all for bettering the habitat of the fish, regardless of how it affects my ability to catch them. I get it that the Pit is hardly a stream for everyone, but it is a very good one for some of us at these flows. If anything that stream is still way too warm... I can't imagine going in to fish it much at all (other than spring or fall) if the flows were any lower.
JB

Bob Loblaw
08-01-2016, 03:03 PM
You can catch more fish in the Pit fishing from the bank than you can wading in most of California's rivers.