PDA

View Full Version : Klamath Conservation Question

John Sv
07-21-2016, 06:17 PM
Hi,
So I keep reading news about Iron Gate and Copco 1 and 2 coming out. Curious: With all the water getting sucked out at JC Boyle and then with the Scott so dewatered, are we sure the Klamath doesn't need some sort of impoundment to maintain later flows and lower temps? I dig the "nature takes care of itself best" ethos, but is it too manipulated to do so? Hasn't the lower river needed to be bailed out by pulse flows from Lewiston due to low water and high temps?

I figure people much smarter than me have though of this and know the answer.

Thanks and just curious really.

Darian
07-23-2016, 12:38 PM
Just speculation on my part but maybe the reason they don't release from the Klamath dams already is that the impounded water is filled with toxic algae(??).... Assuming we're talking about the lower Klamath, I'm thinking that the timing of the need (late summer/early fall) and a release from those dams might send a lot of warm/toxic water down the Klamath....

I wonder what's going to happen when the dams are removed, if ever? Won't that release a lot of toxic sludge into the river??

SeanO
07-23-2016, 05:27 PM
Those klamath dams don't have much storage, they are considered run of the river.

If anything taking them out will make the water cooler downstream as they heat water upstream.

Lewiston is a very different beast that does store a lot of water and it stays cool.