PDA

View Full Version : The Lower American River is a gift from the fish God.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-19-2016, 08:02 AM
The Lower American River is a good reason for a fly fisher to live around Sacramento, California.

I have fished it for over 50 years and have had some many wonderful days out there.

Joe Shirshac, now at about 94 years old, is one of the true fly fishing experts of the river.

Joe and Andy Guibord have made thousands of floats down the river for Striped Bass.

Jeff Ching is another who has put in a huge amount of time on our little river.

Back in the 1950s Walt Bennett pioneered the Shad fishery with people like Ted Trueblood and Jimmy Green.

Maybe we need to try to write up a history of our river which was started by a few dams put up in the 1950s.

Mark Kranhold and his brothers grew up on this river and have a special love for it too.

My friend Al Perryman also grew up on the river. Al once held the fly fishing record for the Striped Bass at 26# on 6# test i our river.

The late Dave Howard did his time on the river being one of our best anglers and guides.

You too can bond with the river and have it for a nice get away too. Try floating the river for Stripers right now with Andy Guibord to get a feel for how special it is.