PDA

View Full Version : August is a time to get out of here........

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-15-2016, 08:07 AM
The Pacific coast for Stripers, surf perch, rock fish and halibut would be a good choice.

Our ocean is cool in the summer, I believe, because of the Alaskan current which makes it nice for beating our Valley heat in mid-summer.

Going into our higher elevations mountains has a cooling benefit too.

This could be going to a mountain cabin, a car camping trip, a horse packing trip or a back packing trip.

I guess something over 5,000 feet would be best to have a cooler time.

Some will take a longer trip to Montana or Alaska in mid-summer.

When we were young June 15 to Sept 15 was our school summer vacation. Now it is a little different timing for some.

August has always been a traditional vacation month for many in our long hot Valley.

Where are you going?

Bob Loblaw
07-15-2016, 10:11 AM
I'm off to Catalina Island tomorrow to have some fun with the Calico Bass in the kelp.

grnwtrs
07-16-2016, 04:19 PM
Not a bad place, but I save the ocean for the Winter.

How about the foothills, like Quincy and horizons, for starters I would go the the MFFR, just below 2 Rivers and on to
the cemetery. Sorry to say, I will need a pickup, as the distance back would be to much for me now!:)

Then back to Davis Lake for the evening feast.

Best Regards, Gene

Charlie S
07-16-2016, 09:33 PM
I think I'll drive 30 minutes up the road to fish Crane Prairie or Wickiup.

Mark Kranhold
07-17-2016, 07:22 AM
Not a bad place, but I save the ocean for the Winter.

How about the foothills, like Quincy and horizons, for starters I would go the the MFFR, just below 2 Rivers and on to
the cemetery. Sorry to say, I will need a pickup, as the distance back would be to much for me now!:)

Then back to Davis Lake for the evening feast.

Best Regards, Gene

Gene, are you meaning the cemetery hole? A refreshing place to cool off ,love the lower hole. The cliff jump is twice the height! I hear you though, by the time you hike out to the car your hot and sweaty again. 12165

rh crank
07-17-2016, 06:41 PM
Off to McCloud Res on Weds. Those rainbows clobber a birdsnest swung on a 3 sink tip. And a quick dip is heap big medicine.
cranky

grnwtrs
07-17-2016, 08:58 PM
Gene, are you meaning the cemetery hole? A refreshing place to cool off ,love the lower hole. The cliff jump is twice the height! I hear you though, by the time you hike out to the car your hot and sweaty again. 12165

Sorry guy, I must have been mistaken on the river. When I said cemetery, I meant the one at Cromberg, right off highway 89
on the way to Blairsden. We would camp at Jackson Creek, when it was on the south? side of the highway 89, and a trail, as I can recall went down off flatiron ridge to the river. Slightly upriver from the trail,a big hole toward, Laymans Resort, that usually held a good fish, sometimes 2.

A goods day fishing would easily produce a limit, in the late 50's-mid1960's, before I discovered the Klamath, at Aitkens creek.
We would exit the river at Cromberg, walk up to the highway, stop at Mt tomba for a coke, then continue back to camp,
at either Jackson creek or Davis Lake . In late October, fishing at the confluence of Nelson & MFFR would offer up nice ones.

Best Regards. Gene

Mark Kranhold
07-17-2016, 10:43 PM
No worries Gene! I do know that cemetery, we have a cabin in Cromberg. Love the Nelson confluence as well and would of loved to fish it back then, I have heard of some toads being caught back in the day. My dad and brother witnessed a brown caught about 30"+ in the canyon. Mt. Tomba just got shut down this last winter, guess she owed the Feds lots of money.