PDA

View Full Version : Glacier Nat'l Park

jrib
07-14-2016, 05:24 PM
The wife and I are headed up to Glacier Nat'l park at the end of the month. Does anyone have any river suggestions there? Any well know guides that I could contact? I was hoping to go with a guide one day and then go on my own the remainder. Thanks in advance.

johnsquires
07-15-2016, 06:12 AM
Don't forget the bear spray.

johnsquires
07-15-2016, 03:15 PM
Middle Fork of the Flathead River is a lot of fun with the cutthroats. Easy walking and wading in the Great Bear Wilderness. Again, take the bear spray, though.

Bitter Dave
07-15-2016, 09:26 PM
I would contact Glacier Outfitters (goglacieroutfitters.com) or Glacier Outdoor Center (glacierraftco.com) and see what they recommend. Below is what I was recommended two years ago:

- Avalanche lake on the south end (away from all of the visitors)
- Camas Creek on the west side of the, though I couldn't figure out a good/easy way to access it.
- Middle Fork of the Flathead River - PM me for more details
- Hidden Lake - Trailhead starts at the Logan Pass Visitor Center. Ask the owner of Glacier Outfitters

Your park pass also acts like a fishing license inside of the park.

Belton Chalet - Old school hotel with good food.
Village Inn At Apgar - A little less expensive but has a view of the lake.

johnsquires
07-16-2016, 08:51 AM
There is a trailhead from the main road (not far from Glacier) to access the middle fork of the Flathead and the Great Bear Wilderness. I can never remember the name of the trailhead, but it's a different kind of name, something like Dinwiddy or something. Nice, easy walk, and you don't have to go too far to get into some very good fishing. I backpacked in there several years back and would love to do it again.
The cutthroats liked Chernobyl ants, Stimulators and Adams patterns.
Saw lots of bears while hiking and camping, but they were very well behaved - except for the mother and her cub who came into our camp in the dark and the cub went up a tree when it saw us, which created a sticky situation and resulted in everyone sleeping closer together after the incident was resolved.

JayDubP
07-16-2016, 10:15 AM
You will also be around 2 hrs drive to Fernie, BC and the Elk River. Or target the Wigwam River for Bull Trout. Fly fishing near Glacier is great, but in the Fernie area it is world-class. Elk River Outfitters (www.elkriver.ca) is the largest guide service in the area.

Couple of years ago I fished with them on the Elk River (drift boat) and the Wigwam River (long day of walking and wading)- I fished several local creeks and the Bull River by myself.

Plus the town of Fernie is cool and the Canadian Dollar is now around 78 US cents, so lodging and meals would be cheaper than near Glacier.

PV_Premier
07-16-2016, 12:05 PM
Plus the town of Fernie is cool

no, no... Fernie is a dump...noone should go there!!! ;):cool: