PDA

View Full Version : Air head flies

Carl Blackledge
07-11-2016, 03:36 PM
Hey guys,

My buddy just sent me this picture of his version of the Tan air heads. He also tied them on heavy duty hooks, and they seem to be about 5 inches long.

He was bringing them to Loreto before I told him to stay home.

Any comments on these would be appreciated.

Carl Blackledge

Darian
07-11-2016, 10:12 PM
Gotta make a distinction on the name/originator of this fly. It's my understanding that John Ryzanich originated the Airhead Fly many years ago. Charlie Bisharat originated the Charlies Airhead Fly. The fly your buddy has copied is the Charlies Airhead Fly. BTW, both of these tyers (Charlie and John) are very innovative.

Your buddy's fly looks like a good copy; right length and hook size. Should catch fish. However, it's a bit too light brown (unless the light affected it) for me. I prefer a darker shade of brown for my own fishing.

Carl Blackledge
07-11-2016, 11:30 PM
Gotta make a distinction on the name/originator of this fly. It's my understanding that John Ryzanich originated the Airhead Fly many years ago. Charlie Bisharat originated the Charlies Airhead Fly. The fly your buddy has copied is the Charlies Airhead Fly. BTW, both of these tyers (Charlie and John) are very innovative.

Your buddy's fly looks like a good copy; right length and hook size. Should catch fish. However, it's a bit too light brown (unless the light affected it) for me. I prefer a darker shade of brown for my own fishing.

Darian,

Thanks for posting your opinion.

My buddy Ed doesn't really care who created it, He's not trying to sell them, or step on anybody's toe's. It was just a challenge and I was the one that told him to tie them in the light Tan color, I tied ones very similar to those (except smaller) and used that same light Tan color, I landed over 75 smaller Dorado on my fly last year and the fly is still in decent shape.

I think the guy did a nice job, Perhaps a little sparser and a little bit of taper on the next few?

Carl Blackledge

Terry Thomas
07-12-2016, 09:46 AM
Carl,
From the pics, they look a little over dressed. Perhaps it's just the photos. I think a more sparse fly swims better and has more action on the drop. IMHO.

Carl Blackledge
07-12-2016, 11:00 AM
Terry,

I agree about being a little bit more sparse, However most of the time I fish these type flies in the top 18 inches of the surface, not worried too much about the drop as I would with a sardine type :)

I should be getting a few in the mail very soon, perhaps I'll take a few pictures and post them Terry.

PS I will take a few pictures of them wet also.

Carl