PDA

View Full Version : Lake Tahoe Fishing Trip

Shifty242
07-10-2016, 04:27 PM
Hello,

I will be in the Lake Tahoe area on July 21st for a meeting and have already hired a guide for a 1/2 trip on the Truckee on Friday the 22nd. I would like to fish on Saturday the 23rd as well, but can't decide where I should spend my time. Part of me would like to spend the day on small Sierra stream with a 3wt and dry flies. A friend recommended that I drive 3hrs south to explore the Tuolumne Meadows. I'm up for the adventure, but was curious to know what other options might be available.

If you were going to be in the greater Reno/Lake Tahoe area and had one full day to fish, what would you do? I'd love to hear recommendations. Guides or DIY recommendations are much appreciated.

Best,
josh

El Rey
07-10-2016, 07:03 PM
You don't need to go that far south. Just south of Tahoe is the West Fork of the Carson River. Nice meadows section, then the canyon section. It's not wilderness fishing, but it's fun. There are small creeks just north of Truckee. Another option is the Little Truckee River, but those will be bigger fish. Your Truckee guide will have other options I'm sure.

Enjoy you stay,
Harlan

cdevine
07-10-2016, 07:14 PM
You don't need to go that far south. Just south of Tahoe is the West Fork of the Carson River. Nice meadows section, then the canyon section. It's not wilderness fishing, but it's fun. There are small creeks just north of Truckee. Another option is the Little Truckee River, but those will be bigger fish. Your Truckee guide will have other options I'm sure.

Enjoy you stay,
Harlan

I agree. You could also hit west walker or little walker river. Flows will be perfect and the dry fishing
Will be ripe.
It's about an hour past west Carson over monitor pass and south on 395. Honestly I would fish the truckee or little truckee another day. You will have so much water to fish and not enough time. Why drive? The little truckee can be epic for dries but it's very challenging in terms to ease of catching.

Shifty242
07-11-2016, 11:14 AM
Harlan & cdevine,

Thank you for the advice! As much as I would like to visit Yosemite, it would be a lot of time in the car vs time on the water. I appreciate your willingness to help. Looking forward to being back in that part of the world in a few weeks.

Thanks,
josh

jbeni
07-11-2016, 12:57 PM
I may be up in that area tomorrow and will report back if so -- was gonna spend some time on the W Carson during the morning & afternoon. I notice the E fk Carson is flowing at 225 CFS today. which i think should be OK for wading but not sure about the water clarity. But, that is another option if you head that way.... has anyone seen the E Carson lately?

Jake O
07-11-2016, 02:03 PM
I may be up in that area tomorrow and will report back if so -- was gonna spend some time on the W Carson during the morning & afternoon. I notice the E fk Carson is flowing at 225 CFS today. which i think should be OK for wading but not sure about the water clarity. But, that is another option if you head that way.... has anyone seen the E Carson lately?

Didn't have time to fish the east but fished the west on Thursday and there was a truly insane drake hatch around 9-11. Unfortunately nothing coming up for them but they were takings nypmhs. Bunch of smallish wild ones and a few larger planters/holdovers. I'd fish the Carson though if I had the time.

jbeni
07-11-2016, 04:06 PM
Right on! Thanks Jake. PM if you can get out again this week!
I will check out Wolf Creek as well and report back if I head out that way. Its between the Carson's or up north to the Feather River system, near Almanor. Split decision from the road, when Im driving up tomorrow...!
Cheers,
Beni

Jake O
07-11-2016, 05:12 PM
The Carson hasn't fished all year due to high flows----fishery deffinatly struggled through the drought but it doesn't take much to bounce back eg the truckee. Take the airport access down on the east c and be sure to pac trios and drakes. I think it would be good