PDA

View Full Version : Lower Sac Float

cdevine
07-09-2016, 07:37 AM
Had an awesome day on the water yesterday with my son jack and Anthony Carruesco of AC FLY Fishing. Lower sac flows bumped up to 10500 from 9500 last week. Water has a clearish green tint to it. Lots of caddis popping and PMD's. It was a cool 86 degrees with very cloudy skies. Rarity for Redding. Strikes were both subtle and aggressive. My son pretty much owned the front of the boat.

Can't say enough good things about Anthony. Really a great guide and person. Get out and have some fun!1210312104

SeanO
07-10-2016, 12:03 AM
Nice looking fish, and square tops.

Looks like a great time!

jrsyboy
07-10-2016, 07:37 AM
Sounds nice. Heading up Thursday for Long Course JO's as my daughter is swimming all weekend. May have some time in the evening so do you mind sharing what was working?

thanks and tight lines~!
rob
jrsyboy

cdevine
07-10-2016, 10:02 AM
Sounds nice. Heading up Thursday for Long Course JO's as my daughter is swimming all weekend. May have some time in the evening so do you mind sharing what was working?

thanks and tight lines~!
rob
jrsyboy

I know Anthony does evening floats to avoid heat. We just got lucky with the weather. Honestly I would try that route with him or somebody else. The river was at 10500 CFs and not wader friendly. It's actually quite dangerous and with 52 degree water you don't want to fall.

Think caddis nymphs and pmds. (Peaches and cream). Small mayflies worked well also.

Good luck!

jrsyboy
07-11-2016, 05:28 AM
thanks!!

my weekend will predominantly be standing on deck officiating the swim meet but may get an hour or two in the evenings to drown flies. I feel better knowing i'm using the right pattern when I get skunked.

thanks again!!

tight lines~!

rob
jrsyboy

kyburz
07-13-2016, 12:33 PM
A C is great. Floated lower sac a few times with him and there is no comparison.
Interesting other guides float thru stretches just once while A C busts his ass rowing upstream to hit a good stretch again. Gotta love this dude!

jrsyboy
07-18-2016, 08:50 AM
Thanks to all for the input. I got out for about an hour and a half Friday evening from 7 to 8:30 pm. Waded below the Hwy 44 bridge. Big water and couldn't get too far but tried anyway. Amazed at the life in that river. Sedge caddis, sulphers, and tricos came off like snow between 8 & 8:30 so much that i looked like a shag rug with all the bugs on me.

This was a learning trip and I learned a lot. Plus it was a swim meet so I spent the majority of the time officiating on deck. But will be coming back up this way without the family and all the obligations associated with them.

thank again!

tight lines~!
rob
jrsyboy