PDA

View Full Version : Horse packing trip info - Emigrant Wilderness

Jeff F
07-06-2016, 12:34 PM
Hey all,

Me and a couple buddies are heading into Emigrant Lake area on a horse-pack spot trip out of Kennedy Meadows in early August. The outfitter packs you in, along with 150lbs of gear per person, then he leaves, and picks you up 4 days later.

We're definitely taking our float tubes. But I'm hoping someone on this board has done a similar horse-pack trip, and could give me an idea on what 150lbs of gear per person constitutes. Meaning.....what did you bring with you?

Unfortunately, fires are not permitted where we're going, so grilling meat is not an option.

Any one take one of these trips? Just need an idea of what we can actually take with us.

Thanks.

~Jeff

johnsquires
07-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Have you checked on whether fire pans are permitted? I'm sure the packer would know - and probably have one. You could cook on that. Last trip I took like this, open fires were not permitted, but fire pans were okay.
If you don't have them, check with the packer about bear cannisters.
Don't forget the water purifier and jug.
I have a complete list if you need it, but basically you're talking about tents, bag and pads; food; cooking gear and biodegradable dishwashing gear; first aid kit; latrine gear; bug juice and After Bite; a PLB or sat phone. Personally, I always bring a chair on such trips - makes a big difference. 150 pounds is a good allowance - you should be able to meet that with no problem, even with float tubes.

Jeff F
07-06-2016, 02:29 PM
Have you checked on whether fire pans are permitted? I'm sure the packer would know - and probably have one. You could cook on that. Last trip I took like this, open fires were not permitted, but fire pans were okay.
If you don't have them, check with the packer about bear cannisters.
Don't forget the water purifier and jug.
I have a complete list if you need it, but basically you're talking about tents, bag and pads; food; cooking gear and biodegradable dishwashing gear; first aid kit; latrine gear; bug juice and After Bite; a PLB or sat phone. Personally, I always bring a chair on such trips - makes a big difference. 150 pounds is a good allowance - you should be able to meet that with no problem, even with float tubes.

Thanks for the reply, John. What exactly is a fire pan?

I've done tons of backpacking trips, but this will be our first horse trip. So I'm pretty familiar with the necessities. 150lbs per person seems like a lot of gear, which I'm very happy to oblige. Did you guys bring ice chests?

Yeah, the camping chair will be coming along. Probably a tarp to string between trees for the inevitable Sierra summer thunderstorms.

VinnySteel
07-06-2016, 03:21 PM
I have packed in to the Emigrent quite a few times. Your in for a treat! Beautiful country with lakes to fish everywhere. Upper Buck lake, Wood Lake, Emigrent Lake are all Great Lakes to camp at. Haven't been up there in a few years but as far as I know there was no regulations on fires, as long as they were 100 ft from the water and contained. As far as things to bring, make sure you have lots of socks, and be prepared for every type of weather. It gets very cold at night and the random 15 min thunderstorms up that high are no joke. We kept it pretty simple with food...some canned stuff, MRE's, etc. We all had one pack mule per person and then we would all chip in on an extra mule to haul up our booze! Haha. As far as the fishing goes, those fish see so little pressure that in the morning you can pretty much throw any type of dry fly out there and they'll go for it. Most of the trout in the area are in the 8-10" range. Huckleberry Lake has some really nice Brookies up to 17" or so and your best bet for the bigger ones is Emigrent Lake. I've seen 20+" come out of there. Also the mosquitos can be REALLY bad, especially with it being such a wet year. When you think you have enough repellent, go buy more. And don't buy the stuff you get at the grocery store. Get 100 Deet. Also it's a good idea to have a mosquito/day tent to sit in while your eating, etc... The mosquitos can really ruin your trip if your not prepared.

Good Luck, let us know how it goes!

johnsquires
07-06-2016, 03:59 PM
Jeff, we didn't bring ice chests this last time. We did hike up on a nearby mountain and bring snow back to camp, which worked surprisingly well.
In the past on backpacking trips we've sealed food, put it in a mesh bag with a rope and put it in the lake. Always worked for us.
So a fire pan comes in different configurations (just google it), sometimes meant for wood or charcoal alone, sometimes with propane attached. Safer than an open fire, I guess they figure.
If you are bringing a propane stove to cook on, make coffee on, I would highly suggest bringing a Roll-A-Table. It packs well and comes in very handy.
I love these kind of trips. Chance for some truly beautiful trout, some solitude, stars at night that you can't see down here, bourbon and fish stories around the -- well, maybe fire pan or propane stove.
Remember the headlamps and cameras. Looking forward to the pictures.

johnsquires
07-06-2016, 04:21 PM
One other thing I just thought of. If possible, have a meeting in person with the guys before you go and compare what each guy is bringing and then eliminate any duplicate items. You only need one first aid kit, for example, one trowel for the bathroom, etc.

TaylerW
07-06-2016, 05:41 PM
you can freeze cans of guiness and boddingtons pub ale. once in camp wrap in a wet towel and you have an evap cooler. cold beer for days!

bigfly
07-06-2016, 11:57 PM
Considering the fire danger, I'm not sure the pan will get a green light.
They are saying no fires out side a designated camp area. Call the ranger station for info....having carried my float tube, waders, fins, and food and personal gear for 7 days....I can say it's close to 80-90 lbs. So add ice chest and bingo 150lbs. I'd make room for slippers. ....

Jeff F
07-07-2016, 10:57 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. This is definitely going to be a fishing focused trip. And much more "luxurious" than a standard backpacking trip. Can't wait to get into some of the big rainbows Emigrant Lk is famous for. We'll also be taking the tubes down the hill to Buck Lakes for a day trip. Nice bows in there too.

Will post a report with pics upon our return. Thanks again.

~Jeff

johnsquires
07-07-2016, 05:29 PM
Another couple of tips: Bring a small blow-up pillow or put something soft to put under your butt while riding in and make sure the stirrups are adjusted properly. My last two trips were 6 hours one way. Took a couple of days for my butt and knees to recover.

Tony
07-08-2016, 08:05 PM
I think Lee Haskins goes every year. You should PM him.