PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Spear fishers:

Darian
07-04-2016, 01:47 PM
What do you (spear fishers) do with the Striped Bass that you catch?? Do you eat the larger fish or dispose of them otherwise?? If your choice is otherwise, what are those uses???

SeanO
07-04-2016, 02:11 PM
What do you (spear fishers) do with the Striped Bass that you catch?? Do you eat the larger fish or dispose of them otherwise?? If your choice is otherwise, what are those uses???

Not sure they frequent this forum, D, but hopefully they utilize the resource in a sustainable manner.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-04-2016, 02:20 PM
They still shoot lion, hippos, elephants, giraffe......?

gene goss
07-04-2016, 02:44 PM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4193446/table/T6/

Maybe we should be educating the public about the size of the fish does matter for mercury contaminant levels.......maybe a article in the Sacramento Bee about contaminant levels in large stripers would help educated the public about eating large stripers. hmmmmmm

winxp_man
07-04-2016, 05:50 PM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4193446/table/T6/

Maybe we should be educating the public about the size of the fish does matter for mercury contaminant levels.......maybe a article in the Sacramento Bee about contaminant levels in large stripers would help educated the public about eating large stripers. hmmmmmm

Wish it where that easy! People in the world really are that ignorant to where they would tell you that you don't know crap even with proof! Sad really! Then again out there they probably really trying to wipe out the stripers to get to the water in the rivers! Man these subjects sure do piss me off!

STEELIES/26c3
07-04-2016, 06:57 PM
There actually was a full multi-page spread article in the SAC BEE on mercury levels in California game fish. I believe that was back in 2006 and there have been other, lesser articles in other newspapers/other media outlets.

Darian
07-04-2016, 10:20 PM
to try to get an idea of what the use of larger Stripers is, not to stir up more debate.

I'm only interested in finding out how many of these fish end up on the table or in some other use. Personally, I wouldn't eat any Striper I caught but every day Stripers are on the menu in this area, sometimes in restaurant menus illegally. Are they speared, netted, etc.???

Agreed the number of spearos frequenting this BB may be small but from past threads and people I've met, I know there're lurkers/members of this BB community that are spearfishers as well as being gear and/or fly fishers. I'm hopeful, they will respond.

Rockit
07-05-2016, 09:37 PM
I'll chime in opinion even though I don't shoot anymore, and have never done freshwater.
15 years ago I was extremely active hunter in the salt. 2-3 times a month minimum..sometimes a ton more.

I did not know anyone that would shoot a fish simply for the trophy pic. I would (like to) assume the general ethics of the spear community has not changed so much in that time that it would be common practice to throw your kill away. I'm guessing most people eat what they take.

Rockit
07-05-2016, 09:40 PM
They still shoot lion, hippos, elephants, giraffe......?

Usually all of the meat is given to the locals to consume.

winxp_man
07-05-2016, 10:05 PM
So poison people with mercury? Haha...
I don't care for anyone willing to kill a fish that is a trophy fish size! Let them go to breed. Keep the smaller fish to eat. But this is just me and maybe I'm weird. But I don't care.

Darian
07-05-2016, 10:49 PM
Rockit,.... Thanks for the reply. Hopefully others will chime in too.

winxp-man,.... Not helpful....

winxp_man
07-05-2016, 11:29 PM
What's to be helpful about Darian????? All I see on Instagram is trophy fish killed of all types! Who cares if it's eaten. It's full of merc. And I personally know spear guys and if they where to chime in here they would blow off how they eat it no matter how big!!! Then I ask why is there a need to kill a trophy fish for food when commen sense tells you that they are full of merc. Heck we don't live in a day in age when there is no internet. Just a little googling you will be surprised as to what's in the bigger fish. Oh and I'm sure some of the guys killing the striper hens on the lower American say the say thing over and over that they eat them or that they are given to people that eat them. But hey what ever floats the boat.

If education is key it's simple keep the average size or smaller and limit the intake of poison into your body!

STEELIES/26c3
07-06-2016, 03:03 PM
I personally see the Mercury argument as circumventing the real problem...

In most matters of conservation, a river, a forest, a community, an ecosystem, a species is seldom, if ever, saved based on factors favoring human health and well being even though most often those benefits are the eventual outcome of saving say a rain forest, a fjord, a watershed like our delta or a species of fish like striped bass.

It is usually self-LESS reasons which serve as the cornerstone/s to protection of a species or natural area.

Honestly, I believe the mercury-level thing is a bit overdone similar to the AMA's restrictions on certain substances (like kidney tolerances and set standards for acetaminophen mg levels in certain prescription drugs...) Government regulatory agencies do tend to err on the side of conservatism regarding health and safety issues.

That said, I am careful about how much fish I eat from the American River.

But to make suggestions on releasing large stripers based on toxicity and human health is not necessarily helpful to our cause as to do so circumvents and often even omits the real reasons why we should let large stripers go and the even larger issues at hand regarding our diminishing water supply, diminishing delta, diminishing fish stocks (of all species; game and non game fish, native and non-native, cold and warm water, oceanic, anadromous, tidal and fresh water species included) and diminishing opportunities for our hunting and fishing past times.

When I engage in a conversation about striped bass (usually on the river with an encountered angler I do not know) I express the importance of letting large stripers go but my reasons are because the larger fish have the genes for survival and need to be able to reproduce and since larger hens are the brood stock for future generations. A 12 lb bass lays 850,000 eggs whereas a 50lb bass lays as many as 4.5 million.

Also, I relay that the American River is a niche habitat which doesn't have anywhere near the numbers of the Sacramento and Feather Rivers but does have a reasonable number of larger fish per capita. I also now have to bring spear fishers in to the equation because as the clearest of the central valley rivers, big hen stripers are now extremely vulnerable to this 100% kill/take method which has (in my opinion) no business being allowed on our river.

As detrimental as over-harvesting and culling of big, spawning females (by ALL anglers and spearos) is to the survival of striped bass, it ultimately pales in comparison to the greatest threat of all which is the excess water diversions accelerated in 1993 by installation of the pumps at Clifton Court Forebay and the continued attempt to greatly increase those diversions (via twin tunnels) by rich, corporate farmers (Westland's Water District) and quasi governmental (MWD) and governmental (BOR DWR CDFW) agencies.

In their attempts to wrest control of delta waters, the striped bass is being used as a scapegoat or a red-herring (a distraction from logical discourse) which has little to do with actual cause and effect and even less to do with the heart/truth of the matter in question) <- me not Merriam Webster so may be off a bit...

As long as proponents of the twin tunnels can dupe the public in to believing that something other than water exports is responsible for the decline of the salmon... or any other declining aspect of the overall health of our delta ecosystem... then they have a better chance of advancing their agenda and they will keep pressing forward and taking politicians and agencies with them in their wake of fury and they will try to divide and conquer those of us who actually care.

This is all so complex as so many are involved and so few are aware of the truth. It is so easy for big money to push its agenda, especially when it calls itself, "Bay Delta Conservation Plan" or "Coalition for a Sustainable Delta" (Look those up to find out what they are REALLY about). When they rally about farming jobs and food for Californians (which in truth they scarcely provide). When they talk about HUMANS vs. a tiny smelt (which is not even close to the actual cost/benefit reality of their water diversion proposals arguments.

Unfortunately, 99% of the people on our planet could really give a shit about a healthy delta, fisheries, etc.. It just isn't at the forefront of most folks' thought process (out of sight, out of mind). Most Americans spend more time watching the Kardashabarfians than they do in their yards and an even greater percentage will tell you they've never been to a river much less fished in one. People are more apt to vote for Kanye as president than to get involved in a sensitive political issue regarding the health of an ecosystem to which they have never been and have no idea they derive any benefit from...

THANKFULLY, there are the whistle-blowers and extremely-concerned folks like those at restorethedelta.org who DO CARE IMMENSELY and are doing all they can to fight for what is most worthy of our protection (our natural resources which belong to you and to me and to everyone and to no ONE entity)

TO BE CONTINUED

GreggH
07-07-2016, 10:49 AM
Do you think the dude in the Raiders gear and throat tat really gives a F what you think?

itsbenlong
07-14-2016, 06:17 PM
Nice piece of material STEELIES/26c3......thanks for taking the time to write that! I am with you on that 100%.....

Scary times for sure!!!

STEELIES/26c3
07-14-2016, 06:42 PM
Do you think the dude in the Raiders gear and throat tat really gives a F what you think?

about what, the Raiders?

I grew up in Oakland and was a huge Raiders fan from the days of Daryle Lamonica to about the Hostetler era so I'm sure we could find some common ground.

But if you mean about spearfishing and stripers, politics and water, conservation and sustainable resources... then, NO and is why I stated the following passage in my original post, "Unfortunately, 99% of the people on our planet could really give a shit about a healthy delta, fisheries, etc.."

Nice piece of material STEELIES/26c3......thanks for taking the time to write that! I am with you on that 100%.....

Scary times for sure!!!

and Thanks Ben for caring~:)

OceanSunfish
07-15-2016, 12:19 AM
about what, the Raiders?

I grew up in Oakland and was a huge Raiders fan from the days of Daryle Lamonica to about the Hostetler era so I'm sure we could find some common ground.

But if you mean about spearfishing and stripers, politics and water, conservation and sustainable resources... then, NO and is why I stated the following passage in my original post, "Unfortunately, 99% of the people on our planet could really give a shit about a healthy delta, fisheries, etc.."

and Thanks Ben for caring~:)

I doubt the beforementioned fan even knows who Daryle Lamonica is....... For me, I miss Bill King....... And, could you imagine what his play-by-play would've sounded like of any of Curry's performances this season?! Especially the OKC game back in February!

I remember fishing the delta (a very different delta, naturally) with my Father while listening to Bill King's play-by-play of an early 70's Raider game...... Good times and memories........ Great fishery back then too......

STEELIES/26c3
07-15-2016, 03:28 AM
I doubt the beforementioned fan even knows who Daryle Lamonica is....... For me, I miss Bill King....... And, could you imagine what his play-by-play would've sounded like of any of Curry's performances this season?! Especially the OKC game back in February!

I remember fishing the delta (a very different delta, naturally) with my Father while listening to Bill King's play-by-play of an early 70's Raider game...... Good times and memories........ Great fishery back then too......

Yah buddy!

My favorite era and favorite quarterback produced one of the most memorable 4th quarter sequences, victories = 1974 Raiders VS Dolphins "Sea of Hands" comeback with The Snake flushed and falling pass to Clarence Davis in the end zone, followed by the Phil Villpiano INT. Great game call there by King. He was the greatest~

Frank Alessio
07-18-2016, 01:15 PM
Hey Darian...Once there is a Spear through the Fish...What Difference can it possibly make??? Cheers

Darian
07-18-2016, 02:38 PM
Hi Frank,.... Probably no danger of any other spearos answering now.... So, what I was after was a reading on the actual use of those speared fish, human consumption or waste of a natural/public resource. If the latter, a proposal to modify/repeal any regulations or local codes would likely be more acceptable by the commission or county supervisors if supported by some applicable information than the highjacking/emotional rant in/of this thread.... Guess I'll try to develop this from other sources.

winxp_man
07-18-2016, 02:59 PM
Hi Frank,.... Probably no danger of any other spearos answering now.... So, what I was after was a reading on the actual use of those speared fish, human consumption or waste of a natural/public resource. If the latter, a proposal to modify/repeal any regulations or local codes would likely be more acceptable by the commission or county supervisors if supported by some applicable information than the highjacking/emotional rant in/of this thread.... Guess I'll try to develop this from other sources.

Most statements I made where not rants. And it's not what I was trying to project. My point is BIG HENS being taken out of a system by spearo guys that can make better decisions on what size fish to take. They seem to target big hens period. So in this instance what difference does it make if it's eaten or not??? I just don't see the point in talking about it once the fish that can produce a few million eggs is killed. And it's why I brought up the subject of "its what most spearo guys do." Notice I'm not saying all. Again if you don't have Instagram get it to see what I'm talking about. I guess it's that saying that goes around about why some guys need to have a truck that is lifted or jacked way up on giant tires to make up for what is not there ;) hahahaha!

Darian
07-18-2016, 10:54 PM
Aron,.... Yeah, you made your point but you're still missing the point. Let the spear guys answer for themselves (altho, I doubt that's going to happen now). They certainly don't need a spokesman. Especially not you!!

winxp_man
07-18-2016, 11:44 PM
Darian when they show pics of killing large fish I think they have made their points. And good luck on getting a spear guy to answer. The spear guys on here I imagine don't go shooting on the American River. And if they would be on here most likely they are fly fishermen to. So to add it up they would have some ethics. Like I said go else where for such answers. The question would be beyond any kind of point worth talking about. Once again and last time saying it what difference is it if the kill is big hens on the America... Oh and if you want evidence of my statement look no further then threads on this boards from members seeing spearo' with big hens killed. Again I could careless what they do with the fish once it's killed because that big hen will never again breed.
But hey good luck with your answer to what they do with said spear killed hens. It would be an interesting answer if someone does come forth.

Tight lines... Oh wait soon there will be no striper section like bill said ;)