PDA

View Full Version : In a few years the Striper catagory on our forum will not exist.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-03-2016, 01:45 PM
I just got an email from a friend who has some insider info on the planned demise of the Striped Bass population on the West Coast of the United States.

The AG / Water folk$ along with pre$$ure from the Commercial Salmon lobbyists, they have categorized the Striped Bass as a non-indigenous invasive species in their minds.

The FFW and the CA DF&W has secretly designed a 3 part plan to eliminate the Striped Bass population:

Phase 1) Do everything to eliminate the spawning population of large female Stripers by doing things like allowing spear fishing for them.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=spearfishing+striped+bass

Phase 2) Eliminate the daily bag limit on Stripers.

Phase 3) Eliminate the minimum size of fish taken.

*With the third world population we have on the West Coast they feel that they will eat every last one.

** This is just a rumor but I think it is really happening.

***Clouser sales should really drop off sharply.

**** Striper guides need to do some adjusting too.

Mr.Matt
07-06-2016, 11:10 PM
I'm glad I grew up when I did where I did and enjoyed a truly fantastic striper fishery in Lake Mendocino in the 1970s and 1980s.
Also have enjoyed catching the stripers here since moving here 7 years ago.

This country is changing. I am not optimistic as to what it is changing into.

Tony Buzolich
07-07-2016, 06:25 AM
Matt,

Any chance you went to school in Ukiah? My wife's family is from all around there. Having their class reunion at the club house on Lake Mendocino.

I used to like fishing the lake when we were in the area. They used to plant stripers there regularly too.
Tony

Mr.Matt
07-07-2016, 12:30 PM
Yeah Tony my wife and I and all of our brothers and sisters on both sides attended UHS from the 80s into the 90s
3 sisters one brother in my side 2 brothers 2 girls on her side.
If your wife graduated in the 80s or 90s I'm sure I would know the name.

Tony Buzolich
07-07-2016, 05:06 PM
Sorry Matt, My wife graduated there in 1966. According to my brother-in-law fishing at Mendocino was really good for stripers back then.
Tony

Darian
07-07-2016, 07:30 PM
with these type of rumors is the breadth of the proposed action:

"I just got an email from a friend who has some insider info on the planned demise of the Striped Bass population on the West Coast of the United States."

Com'on I'll bet the originator meant the Delta but in the event they did mean the entire coast, that action is probably not possible even in California, let alone the entire west coast of the US. Stripers are caught in all of the CVP/SWP canals and all of the reservoirs connected to them plus a few reservoirs that aren't connected. Not to mention the ocean. The same is true about Black Bass, sunnies and bait fish species.

John Sv
07-08-2016, 09:44 AM
I really appreciate the info and education on this message Board. I come from where stripers are native and am a native fish aficionado. My original knee-jerk regarding stripers was "Get em outta here, they are screwing with the salmon and steelies. Take a trip to the east coast to experience them." And also at the very least "Eat 'em up, they're here as a meat fish." While I still condone eating them to an extent, they are yummy, a better understanding of the politics with the water and the stripers being a pawn in this huge game between water interests, as well as the consideration that "It's the (lack of) water stupid that is causing the declines and not inter species competition" has been very valuable to me.
So.. Thanks everyone!!

Charlie S
07-08-2016, 10:18 AM
Matt: check your messages.

O.mykiss Hunter
07-13-2016, 06:05 AM
Darian got it right. Unless the habitat is completely enclosed, like a man-made lake, it's nearly impossible for the complete eradication of a species.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-13-2016, 07:08 AM
This is officially only a rumor but I have felt that the government has wanted to keep down the Striper population for several reasons.

One, the salmon interests.

Two, the water barons.

I do think it would be very hard to eliminate the Striped Bass population.

This is maybe why we have not been able to get a 'slot limit' which would really help out.

STEELIES/26c3
07-13-2016, 01:05 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=striped+bass+sticker+ca&safe=off&tbm=isch&imgil=V4_U6nMPl7Vm3M%253A%253B1_pFkLVmotiE1M%253Bh ttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.stripers247.com%25252F California.htm&source=iu&pf=m&fir=V4_U6nMPl7Vm3M%253A%252C1_pFkLVmotiE1M%252C_&usg=__I-WHekR0BRYvuT9bssCQQWN86V0%3D&biw=1824&bih=806&ved=0ahUKEwiSirqulPHNAhUP2WMKHec8CiIQyjcIUQ&ei=ZJSGV5LILo-yjwPn-aiQAg#imgrc=V4_U6nMPl7Vm3M%3A

Yes pretty much impossible to delete the striped bass from our state or our delta but that is not the point...

It is the lying, over the years, by fish and game to its paying customers.

It is the misuse of funds acquired from fees paid by anglers and hunters.

It's the fact that when compared to all states offering a calendar-year fishing license, California’s license costs 84 percent above the national average price ($25.52).

It is that cdfg continues to provide fewer and fewer opportunities yet charges more than every other state in the union for those diminishing opportunities.

It is that cdfg is now is not only not doing its job but is actually aligning with politicians and 'big-water' interests in an effort to secure the salaries of its highest paid public servants who exert the most control over decisions.... decisions which increasingly go counter not only to providing opportunities for fishing and hunting but indeed go counter to conservation so whether you call them CA Dept of Fish and GAME or CA Dept of Fish and WILDLIFE... they are failing us, the US citizens miserably.

I could go on and on and on but let me just direct you to Governor Brown's last 3 appointed commissioners to CDFW:

It is NOT a coincidence that one of the appointees was a senior policy advisor at the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California from 2005 to 2009 (MWD... the agency with the largest financial interest in development of the proposed twin tunnels... MWD... The very agency which just purchased islands in the delta in the exact path of the proposed twin tunnels... MWD who is salivating and drooling at the mouth over the prospect of securing even more water from an already depleted delta.

Look at the appointees below and see their backgrounds are highly skewed towards; civil engineering, business and administration, law, public utilities and particularly water policy.

5-6-2016

SACRAMENTO – Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. today announced the following appointments. Engineers, water advisory

Zolaikha Taghvaei Bayar, 59, of Davis, has been appointed assistant deputy director of the Site Mitigation and Brownfields Reuse Program at the California Department of Toxic Substances Control. Bayar has been project delivery procurement manager at the California High-Speed Rail Authority since 2014. She served in several positions at the California Department of Transportation from 1988 to 2014, including assistant division chief of procurement and contracts, project manager and transportation design engineer. Bayar was assistant design engineer at the California Department of Water Resources from 1987 to 1988. She earned a Master of Science degree in civil engineering from the University of New Mexico. This position does not require Senate confirmation and the compensation is $153,192. Bayar is a Democrat.

Russell Burns, 55, of Napa, has been appointed to the California Fish and Game Commission. Burns has been business manager at Operating Engineers Local Union 3 since 2006, where he has held several positions since 1994, including treasurer, financial secretary, district representative, special representative to the business manager and business agent. This position requires Senate confirmation and the compensation is $100 per diem. Burns is a Democrat.

Peter Silva, 63, of Chula Vista, has been appointed to the California Fish and Game Commission. Silva has been president and chief executive officer at Silva-Silva International since 2011. He served as assistant administrator for water at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency from 2009 to 2011, senior policy advisor at the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California from 2005 to 2009 and vice chair at the State Water Resources Control Board from 2000 to 2005. Silva was deputy general manager at the Border Environment Cooperation Commission from 1997 to 2000 and served in several positions at the City of San Diego Public Utilities Department from 1987 to 1997, including deputy director for water utilities, assistant deputy director for the clean water program and civil engineer. He was a resident engineer at the International Boundary and Water Commission from 1983 to 1987. Silva was an engineer at the San Diego Regional Water Quality Control Board from 1982 to 1983, at the Otay Water District from 1980 to 1982 and at the Los Angeles Regional Water Quality Control Board from 1977 to 1980. This position requires Senate confirmation and the compensation is $100 per diem. Silva is a Democrat.

HERE'S SOME ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT!
CDFG/W MISSION STATEMENT:

Mission Statement

The Mission of the Department of Fish and Wildlife is to manage California's diverse fish, wildlife, and plant resources, and the habitats upon which they depend, for their ecological values and for their use and enjoyment by the public.

STEELIES/26c3
07-13-2016, 01:07 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=striped+bass+sticker+ca&safe=off&tbm=isch&imgil=V4_U6nMPl7Vm3M%253A%253B1_pFkLVmotiE1M%253Bh ttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.stripers247.com%25252F California.htm&source=iu&pf=m&fir=V4_U6nMPl7Vm3M%253A%252C1_pFkLVmotiE1M%252C_&usg=__I-WHekR0BRYvuT9bssCQQWN86V0%3D&biw=1824&bih=806&ved=0ahUKEwiSirqulPHNAhUP2WMKHec8CiIQyjcIUQ&ei=ZJSGV5LILo-yjwPn-aiQAg#imgrc=V4_U6nMPl7Vm3M%3A

Yes pretty much impossible to delete the striped bass from our state or our delta but that is not the point...

It is the lying, over the years, by fish and game to its paying customers.

It is the misuse of funds acquired from fees paid by anglers and hunters.

It's the fact that when compared to all states offering a calendar-year fishing license, California’s license costs 84 percent above the national average price ($25.52).

It is that cdfg continues to provide fewer and fewer opportunities yet charges more than every other state in the union for those diminishing opportunities.

It is that cdfg is now not only not doing its job but is actually aligning with politicians and 'big-water' interests in an effort to secure the salaries of its highest paid public servants who exert the most control over decisions.... decisions which increasingly go counter not only to providing opportunities for fishing and hunting but indeed go counter to conservation of our natural resources so whether you call them CA Dept of Fish and GAME or CA Dept of Fish and WILDLIFE... they are failing us, the US citizens and our fish/wildlife constituents miserably.

I could go on and on and on but let me just direct you to Governor Brown's last 3 appointed commissioners to CDFW:

It is NOT a coincidence that one of the appointees was a senior policy advisor at the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California from 2005 to 2009 (MWD... the agency with the largest financial interest in development of the proposed twin tunnels... MWD... The very agency which just purchased islands in the delta in the exact path of the proposed twin tunnels... MWD who is salivating and drooling at the mouth over the prospect of securing even more water from an already depleted delta.

Look at the appointees below and see their backgrounds are highly skewed towards; civil engineering, business and administration, law, public utilities and particularly water policy.

5-6-2016

SACRAMENTO – Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. today announced the following appointments. Engineers, water advisory

Zolaikha Taghvaei Bayar, 59, of Davis, has been appointed assistant deputy director of the Site Mitigation and Brownfields Reuse Program at the California Department of Toxic Substances Control. Bayar has been project delivery procurement manager at the California High-Speed Rail Authority since 2014. She served in several positions at the California Department of Transportation from 1988 to 2014, including assistant division chief of procurement and contracts, project manager and transportation design engineer. Bayar was assistant design engineer at the California Department of Water Resources from 1987 to 1988. She earned a Master of Science degree in civil engineering from the University of New Mexico. This position does not require Senate confirmation and the compensation is $153,192. Bayar is a Democrat.

Russell Burns, 55, of Napa, has been appointed to the California Fish and Game Commission. Burns has been business manager at Operating Engineers Local Union 3 since 2006, where he has held several positions since 1994, including treasurer, financial secretary, district representative, special representative to the business manager and business agent. This position requires Senate confirmation and the compensation is $100 per diem. Burns is a Democrat.

Peter Silva, 63, of Chula Vista, has been appointed to the California Fish and Game Commission. Silva has been president and chief executive officer at Silva-Silva International since 2011. He served as assistant administrator for water at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency from 2009 to 2011, senior policy advisor at the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California from 2005 to 2009 and vice chair at the State Water Resources Control Board from 2000 to 2005. Silva was deputy general manager at the Border Environment Cooperation Commission from 1997 to 2000 and served in several positions at the City of San Diego Public Utilities Department from 1987 to 1997, including deputy director for water utilities, assistant deputy director for the clean water program and civil engineer. He was a resident engineer at the International Boundary and Water Commission from 1983 to 1987. Silva was an engineer at the San Diego Regional Water Quality Control Board from 1982 to 1983, at the Otay Water District from 1980 to 1982 and at the Los Angeles Regional Water Quality Control Board from 1977 to 1980. This position requires Senate confirmation and the compensation is $100 per diem. Silva is a Democrat.

HERE'S SOME ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT!
CDFG/W MISSION STATEMENT:

Mission Statement

The Mission of the Department of Fish and Wildlife is to manage California's diverse fish, wildlife, and plant resources, and the habitats upon which they depend, for their ecological values and for their use and enjoyment by the public.

STEELIES/26c3
07-13-2016, 01:33 PM
Sorry for the double post.

I submitted before checking grammar and spelling and then tried to edit but rather than replacing the rough draft, the computer genie simply added the corrected thread to the original....

BADDDDDDDD GENIE~;<T>~

STEELIES/26c3
07-13-2016, 02:12 PM
http://csbawestdeltachapter.org/news.php

Darian
07-13-2016, 10:11 PM
Yeah!!! That statement ought to win some people at DFW over to our side.... Right or wrong; whether we like it or not, it will take folks who work in the Resources Agency (which includes DFW) to accomplish our goals for the Delta. You're preaching to the choir. Time to lighten up a bit.

BTW, My post was directed to Bill's comment about the rumor he heard; nothing beyond it.

STEELIES/26c3
07-13-2016, 10:56 PM
Sorry Darian but I call it like I see it.

I have worked for DFW and for MWD so I know first hand the BS that transpires within...

I do also realize that there are a lot of wonderful people working for CDFW who actually do care about our natural resources and about providing a balanced approach toward values (of recreation and conservation) outlined in their mission statement....

I do not however see directives coming from the top which are in harmony with said mission statement.

I guess I hope to create a spark that catches fire and sheds light on the truth. If CDFW or any other agencies aligning with the 'powers that would be' hording our delta's waters unchecked if they could be... take offense, then let them speak out. NO, let them ACT! in a way that shows good faith in doing what they as public servants were hired to do (protect lands and life therein of public trust).

Ironically, the same ad-hoc committee known as "Coalition for a Sustainable Delta" sued the California Department of Fish and Game in 2008 over the exaggerated role striped bass play in the decline of salmon and delta smelt and for CDFG's alleged role in propagating striped bass at the expense of the other 2 aforementioned species and further that by doing so were in violation of sanctions put forth by the Endangered Species Act.

And again in 2011, the coalition made proposals to the CDFW commission to change limits on striped bass to reduce their numbers.

And now, in August, 2016 CFSD will again make an appeal to an agency that it sued.

Maybe I'm disrespecting the political process... and I can admit to that but I have just seen so little get done so many times by so many inept people and then with the stroke of %$#$% and a pen, somebody hired, something passed and something enacted and enforced which defies all sense of logic and what is just and righteous in the world and it makes me sick!

So yes, I will continue to fight and be brash at least in my assessments and accusals... and when I take the podium, I will do my best to be more patient, objective, factual, and deliberating but I won't lose the spark....

Cheers~:)

Darian
07-14-2016, 12:10 PM
OK,.... Here's something that'll make you crazy. Latest on proposed federal legislation reported in todays SacBee:

http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article89430827.html

STEELIES/26c3
07-14-2016, 03:52 PM
Yeah, saw that coming after their exclusive meeting with the head of MWD:

http://restorethedelta.org/blog/media-advisory-advocates-denounce-biased-delta-tunnels-event-at-sacramento-bee/

(http://restorethedelta.org/blog/media-advisory-advocates-denounce-biased-delta-tunnels-event-at-sacramento-bee/)"Off goes the head of the king, and tyranny gives way to freedom. The change seems abysmal. Then, bit by bit, the face of freedom hardens, and by and by it is the old face of tyranny. Then another cycle, and another. But under the play of all these opposites there is something fundamental and permanent — the basic delusion that men may be governed and yet be free."

H. L. Mencken

Darian
07-19-2016, 03:06 PM
Here's a link to some reportage from the SacBee concerning the purchase of several islands in the Delta:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/delta/article89943172.html

Could history be ready to repeat itself with the purchase of the islands in the Delta to accommodate the "tunnels project"???

While I was still employed with the state, our Legislative Liaison office did a limited study on what the indicators of a of a bill becoming law was. Turns out it's the level of interest/activity is. The higher the level of activity/interest, the more likely a bill or project would become reality. If that's the case, it seems like we're going to have to learn to live with some form of the "tunnels project".

winxp_man
07-19-2016, 03:11 PM
What is the form of tunnels? As in something still getting put in? Or in legislative battle?

Darian
07-19-2016, 08:47 PM
Aron, there really isn't any way to actually predict what form the final document/project will take. However, since the current "tunnels project" is not yet finalized/permitted by authoritative powers, there could be revisions to the current proposal, such as reducing the number of tunnels or intakes. There're several alternatives listed in project documents that were rejected initially but supported by evaluators. Any one or more of them might/could potentially be adopted. If you've been following the BDCP/WaterFix process, you'd be aware that project documents haven't yet been approved for implementation. Water contractors have raised some concerns about the cost vs benefit of funding the project (the LA MWD purchase of the islands may've changed that, tho). Too many problems for project teams to work on to list here but rest assured, that planning continues by all of those who want to divert water from the Delta. Among the others, the problem of a lack of dedicated funding for completion of the project before obtaining required permits remains unresolved to the best of my knowledge.

If you're really interested in this, I'd recommend you contact the project team at CA Department of Water Resources and have them send you the DVD that contains the project document (all 34K pages of it), like I did.