PDA

View Full Version : Gary Loomis 9' for #4 IM6

Kent
07-03-2016, 11:31 AM
It was suggested to me by an employee at Kiene's American Fly Fishing that I post a request for a possible replace or repair on the Loomis rod described in the title. I inherited this rod from my uncle many years ago and treasure it. On a recent trip to Banff, the TSA were checking my rod carrier and broke the tip off. I need to know if there is an original tip ferrule or this section available. Loomis said that they no longer make my rod and parts are not available.

Thank you,

Kent

larry sommerfeld
07-05-2016, 02:36 PM
First, make a claim against the TSA for full replacement value of the rod. Next, find a good rod builder, Kiene's can help you with that. Have him make an internal ferrule and epoxy the two pieces back together. If done properly, the repair will be invisible.

Larry S

johnsquires
07-05-2016, 04:08 PM
From inside the plane, I watched a baggage handler up in Calgary take some of our group's rods out of the plane, put them on a cart, then pile the heavy baggage on top. I found out how heavy those plane windows are - I was literally pounding on it and yelling, but he couldn't (or wouldn't) hear me. BTW, of course one rod tip was broken when we got to our destination. Lack of common sense.

Kent
07-05-2016, 04:16 PM
First, make a claim against the TSA for full replacement value of the rod. Next, find a good rod builder, Kiene's can help you with that. Have him make an internal ferrule and epoxy the two pieces back together. If done properly, the repair will be invisible.

Larry S

Hello Larry,

Thank you for the advice. I'll visit Kiene's and get a recommendation for a rod builder.

Kent

Baja Fly Fisher
07-05-2016, 04:19 PM
On the way to Baja this year, I saw the baggage handler throw my Eddie Bauer duffle bag from the cart to the conveyer belt, it rolled off on to the ground, and again he threw the bag on to the belt. Bad thing is his supervisor was standing there talking to him. So much for the f******* airline baggage handlers and TSA.

Lincoln Gray
07-07-2016, 08:43 AM
Call Jim Clarkson at Raptor Rod Works. 530-894-2062. He might be able to help you.

How much of he tip section did you loose?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-07-2016, 08:25 PM
When IM6 Graphite was popular G.Loomis made blanks for Powell Rod Company.

Jim Clarkson at Raptor Rod might be able to help you.