PDA

View Full Version : Pit Flows / McCloud

Troutsource
07-01-2016, 06:18 PM
Thinking of fishing the Pit next week -- probably reach 3 and 4. Any word on the flows?

Also considering the McCloud if anyone has thoughts.

I hope the heat isn't taking too much of a toll.

Thanks and will post a report when done with the trip.

EricO
07-02-2016, 03:06 PM
Thinking of fishing the Pit next week -- probably reach 3 and 4. Any word on the flows?

Also considering the McCloud if anyone has thoughts.

I hope the heat isn't taking too much of a toll.

Thanks and will post a report when done with the trip.

I would hit the Pit...it's prime. Flows are ideal in 3, 4 and 5. Report back with
your success. You should do well..and best part is, no waders. That water
will feel great.

I use Dreamflows to check river/creek flows.

http://dreamflows.com/flows.php?page=real&zone=canv&form=norm&mark=All

Eric

Troutsource
07-10-2016, 07:38 PM
Eric, thanks for the guidance. Amazing trip on the Pit. Fished 1/3 of Tuesday on Pit 5, plus all of Wednesday and Thursday on Pit 3. Between my brother and me we landed an ungodly number fish, virtually all on smallish dark beadhead nymphs fished with split shot and no indicator. Good 'ole high stick nymphing. This type of fishing, coupled with the brutal wading conditions, require more concentration than virtually anything I can think of. Cold ones for breakfast add to the challenge. Knees, thighs, back, arms, fingers, neck -- everything shot at the end of each day. In the words of General Patton (as spoken by George C Scott while surveying battlefield carnage): God help me, I do so love it. I hereby conclude that Pit 3 is my favorite river in California, perhaps anywhere, due particularly to the Talus Siren section on Pit 3, which is a high stick nymphing paradise.

This was also my first time using a drop-shot type rig (with the split shot at the bottom of the rig), instead of the typical split-shot-above-the-fly rig that I've used for so many years. I stumbled upon the drop-shot method on Penn's Creek in PA in April. I've been nymphing all my life and I have to tell you I love this new method. The only problem is the time spent tying on new split shot when the drop-line breaks too far up. A few times I tied on an extra section of really fine tippet so it would break off in the right spot (even tried making a quick pass-through knot just above the split shot to weaken the line strength), but had mixed results. So today I stopped in at Fisherman's Warehouse and found to my amazement an assortment of drop-shots that gear fishermen use and that are designed to slip easily off the line when snagged. However, these may slip off too easily. Anyone solved this yet?

Also encountered two noisy juvenile skunks at our camp site and saw a few eagles (one with a 10" trout in its claws).

My brother forgot his wading staff, made a new one from a branch, lost it, made another one and only managed to fall in twice. Somehow I didn't fall in, despite my rubber boots missing 75% of their cleats.

P.S. EPA may want to investigate whether the river now qualifies as a superfund site due to the carpet of splitshot we left behind on the riverbed. Thinking of switching to Tungsten.

P.P.S. Eric, I am not as brave as you regarding wet wading. It sure was warm enough to do that, but, man, my flesh would have been hanging off my shin bones by the end of the day due to the thorns, thistles, rocks, etc. Not to mention poison oak and rattlesnakes (of which we saw one). I don't know how you do it.

EricO
07-11-2016, 10:46 AM
That's awesome Troutsource! Glad you had a great trip.

It's a trade off right? Brutal wading, thorn bushes, slipping, falling,
banging knees ...for trout in almost every pocket.

Without a wading staff the Pit is just a slippery, sliding mess. At least a staff
gives you some semblance of stability!

As far as wet wading, I do wear knee pads, but need to purchase some
soccer shin guards for the next trip. I know I'm going to go down sooner
or later, so I prefer to wet wade whenever I can. Then if I go under, big
deal...and it's refreshing. :)

Glad you had fun. I totally agree on the End of Day pain.
When you finally get back to the campsite, drained, spent and sore, it's
a welcome relief to pop a cold beer, pop 4 ibuprofen, and sit in front of
the campfire.

I've only tried drop shotting once before. To me it was too much of a pain
to keep tying on tippet at the bottom, so I opt for the shot above the fly.

Did you guys land any big boys in Pit 5? There are some beasts that lurk there.

Eric

cdevine
07-11-2016, 05:05 PM
That's awesome Troutsource! Glad you had a great trip.

It's a trade off right? Brutal wading, thorn bushes, slipping, falling,
banging knees ...for trout in almost every pocket.

Without a wading staff the Pit is just a slippery, sliding mess. At least a staff
gives you some semblance of stability!

As far as wet wading, I do wear knee pads, but need to purchase some
soccer shin guards for the next trip. I know I'm going to go down sooner
or later, so I prefer to wet wade whenever I can. Then if I go under, big
deal...and it's refreshing. :)

Glad you had fun. I totally agree on the End of Day pain.
When you finally get back to the campsite, drained, spent and sore, it's
a welcome relief to pop a cold beer, pop 4 ibuprofen, and sit in front of
the campfire.

I've only tried drop shotting once before. To me it was too much of a pain
to keep tying on tippet at the bottom, so I opt for the shot above the fly.

Did you guys land any big boys in Pit 5? There are some beasts that lurk there.

Eric

That is awesome. I thought I was one of the goofy ones who wore soccer style knee guards and stuff while wet wading? Glad I'm not alone. Great report. The pit seems to hold more rainbows per square slippery mile than just about anywhere. Glad you had a good trip.

Troutsource
07-11-2016, 10:05 PM
Eric, I landed maybe a 17"-er in Pit 5, but hooked something that felt bigger. I can only imagine what monsters lurk in that stretch.

We saw some kayakers with fly rods on Pit 3. Also saw a Confluence Outfitters vehicle. Not sure if they were together. Kayaks + wet wading doesn't sound like a bad idea for that river.

TaylerW
07-12-2016, 07:04 AM
In the state of ca it is illegal to have your weight suspended below your flies, just FYI. Snagging rule drafted to protect salmon....

StevenB
07-12-2016, 07:53 AM
In the state of ca it is illegal to have your weight suspended below your flies, just FYI. Snagging rule drafted to protect salmon....

Taylor:
I think you are referring to this part of the regs:

"4. It is unlawful to use any weight directly attached
below a hook."

I wondered about that myself so I called DFW in Redding last year and asked about that rule.
According to the info I got it does not apply to a drop shot type of set up. The key word here is "directly".
Not sure exactly what it means but apparently it is not a drop shot type of set up.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only and does not constitute legal advice.

Bob Loblaw
07-12-2016, 11:30 AM
The Delucci curve section of Pit 3 is awesome. I had a near death experience there a few years back when I was midstream fishing a great seam and when I tried to move after about 20 minutes I discovered that my boot was firmly wedged between 2 boulders. I tried for about 20 minutes to get out and couldn't. The current was too strong to get down there and untie my laces. I was eventually able to get my wading staff in between my boot and the rock and pry myself out...just before it got dark too. Scared the crap out of me.

Whats the difference between a bounce rig and a drop rig? or are they the same? I'd love to fish a bounce rig on the Pit if its legal...would save a lot of money on lost flies!

EricO
07-12-2016, 01:54 PM
Hey Bob,

I have had a couple of those moments on the Pit. It does scare the crap out of you!! One reason to always
fish with a buddy. I also carry a super sharp knife in case I have to cut through my boot or anything else.
Of course, reaching a stuck boot isn't going to be easy. Good call on using your wading staff, I need to
remember that.

I've had my foot get wedged into a hole barely enough for my boot...sure goes in easy, but not out.
After 5 min of stressing the hell out, was able to get it loose, but man does that wake you up. I wade
pretty aggressively, but when that stuff happens, I back way off. My buddy and I talk about bringing
the walkie talkies...so easy to lose sight of the other person. Need to bring 'em next time.

Yes, love that section of the Pit!

Eric

Troutsource
07-12-2016, 10:35 PM
If drop-shot rigs are illegal, I may need to become a fugitive. A fugitive in a cave near Delucci curve. Who trades wild trout for cold beer and Doritos in Burney.

TyV
07-13-2016, 12:36 AM
hats the difference between a bounce rig and a drop rig? or are they the same? I'd love to fish a bounce rig on the Pit if its legal...would save a lot of money on lost flies!

Bounce nymphing is done with a similar setup to what Bass guys use called a drop shop rig. While the general tying and placement of hooks/weight are similar, there are nuanced differences in objective and execution. Neither is illegal in CA. It seems that CA DFG regs have confused some people yet again. Shocker!

Bounce nymphing is a perfect system for much of the small deep pockets on the Pit River. Lots of good articles out there I found on Bounce nymphing, a number of variations. Happy to share links with you if you are interested. PM me...

Fish ON

Ty