PDA

View Full Version : Schoolies

Bryan Morgan
06-30-2016, 09:34 PM
Catching a lot of schoolie Stripers in the upper AR. Any idea of what the impact is on the guys spear fishing the larger females down below? Would love to hear from someone who is affiliated with DFG.

STEELIES/26c3
07-01-2016, 03:02 AM
Catching a lot of schoolie Stripers in the upper AR. Any idea of what the impact is on the guys spear fishing the larger females down below? Would love to hear from someone who is affiliated with DFG.

The impact on the guys spearing the big females down below is that they are getting their egos stroked by their other, striper-killing comrades, they are far more susceptible to Mercury and lead poisoning from eating said fish and WORSE YET... they are overrun with guilty feelings for removing the breeder stock of a fishery which once flourished but is now in serious danger of being wiped out (not by them but by politicians and corporate farmers). <-- Sorry, I could not resist~;)

Many smaller stripers being caught everywhere because schoolies, unlike their elder, counterparts... have an easy time flittering about in high/fast water...

Most anglers don't adapt to the changing condition of the river when presenting their offerings and thus find the larger fish elusive...

I'll leave it at that~

I can promise you the spearos haven't speared them all~;)

I'll continue to sore-lip as many monster hens as possible to hopefully make them more weary of spear guys and gear guys who would otherwise hunt and kill them.

And FWIW.... Looking to DFG or CDFW to give an honest appraisal/assessment of the health of the striper fishery... is a lot like looking to Westland's Water District, MWDSC, BOR and/or Governor Brown and Senator Feinstein to get an honest assessment on the health and needed protective measures to maintain a healthy Sacramento/San Joaquin River Delta Ecosystem...

BUT Do yourself and the striped bass (and all warm water and cold water/anadromous fish for that matter) and the delta a big favor and show up to the DFG commissioners hearing on August 24th/25th to voice your opposition to the proposal.

If you are of the mind that striped bass are more responsible for the reduced numbers of salmon/steelhead and/or overall pelagic ocean decline in general... than the substantially-increased delta water exports (via the two canals at Clifton Court Forebay since 1993 when they were installed) then, please do get informed.

Here is a bit more info:

URGENT WARNING TO ALL NORTHERN CALIFORNIA BASS & STRIPER ANGLERS!!!!!

The southern water agencies have petitioned the Fish & Game Commission to enact new laws in an attempt to drastically reduce the populations of stripers, largemouth, smallmouth & spotted bass in the Delta, bay & river system.

They are calling for bass limits to be increased from 5 per day to 10 and the minimum size requirement to be dropped from 12 inches to 8 inches.

They also want striper limits to go from 2 fish a day over 18 inches to 6 fish a day, with a minimum size of 12 inches!!

If, the proposal is the same as it was in 2011 when we drove down to Rio Vista to fight it... then they would also be suggesting limits on stripers of between 25 and 40 in impoundments like Clifton Court Forebay...

Who's behind this? Check out this list and you'll see where the motivation is coming from:

Metropolitan Water District of Southern California, Kern County Water Agency, Southern California Water Committee, Coalition for a Sustainable Delta, State Water Contractors, Western Growers, California Chamber of Commerce, California Farm Bureau and a few others.

They are citing predation on threatened and endangered salmon by bass and stripers as a a key threat and yet, not a word about water issues in the official documents!

We need everyone...guides, charter captains and all recreational anglers to pack the Fish & Game Commission Meeting Aug. 24-25 at the Lake Natoma Inn & Conference Center, located at 702 Gold Lake Road in Folsom.

THIS IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS THREAT and we need to rise in unison. NO EXCUSES...we all have up be there!!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-01-2016, 05:57 AM
There is a long term plan to get rid of the Stripped Bass on the West Coast or to keep their numbers way down by eliminating the large spawning females.

The agency who wants this done will never tell us the truth about this.

Letting people spear a game fish like Stripers in fresh water is very hard to believe.

I know the commercial salmon people have lobbyists.

We are lied to about the water use too.

Money runs the world....get use to it.

STEELIES/26c3
07-01-2016, 09:13 AM
There is a long term plan to get rid of the Stripped Bass on the West Coast or to keep their numbers way down by eliminating the large spawning females.

The agency who wants this done will never tell us the truth about this.

Letting people spear a game fish like Stripers in fresh water is very hard to believe.

I know the commercial salmon people have lobbyists.

We are lied to about the water use too.

Money runs the world....get use to it.

It's really nice to have a living legend around who knows, understands and appreciates the fisheries and the tenuous nature of their existence amidst the powers that be who would eliminate them in a heartbeat in order to further their fiscal agendas....

THANKS BILL KIENE! for all you have done over the years and for choosing to remain current on the issues, to question and understand and to be willing to tell it like it is.

You're a good dude~:)

and yes, money does indeed rule the world BUT, I do still believe in the power of a people united for a cause and ultimately, our executive, legislative and judicial systems... to protect our public resources when there is enough factual evidence obtained and produced by caring individuals who value life's priceless things~

People like you and Mike McKenzie and Sean and Darian and many on this board and Folks like those with Restorethedelta.org and Judge Michael Kenny who threw out The Delta Plan in court earlier this month add ENOUGH hope to the passion I already have to fight for what I love and believe in~

Skeptical? HELL YES I am... but without optimism... without hope... why even bother...? Why even FISH?

M