PDA

View Full Version : Two days in Montana...Bozeman and West

BobVP
06-23-2016, 11:07 PM
The world works in mysterious ways.
I was just invited to go to Pony, MT (1 hour west of Bozeman) for a birthday party..Long story there! As the timing is just right with work I decided, "Why not?" What's a 40 hour round trip drive! Big Deal...right?

I will have some limited time to fish on the way back (toward Boise) and maybe one day in the area of Bozeman. I realize it is not enough time to fulfill my Montana Dream Trip but it is a least a taste. I would love to have some insight as what to expect and maybe the name of a creek or two in the area that has lots of public access...wadable.
I have already read the reports on some of the fly shop sites and the prospects look good but there is nothing better than the insights and advise I get here.
Thanks.

Chazbowski
06-24-2016, 10:26 AM
About an hour west of Boise is the Owhyee River (in Oregon) with big browns that like small dries and streamers.

Chuck

BobVP
06-24-2016, 11:19 AM
Thanks Chuck. We will be right there on the way back.

pgw
06-24-2016, 12:16 PM
There are access points on the Gallatin close to Bozeman. The Norris Rd (Western Extension of Huffline/Main St) just W of Four Corners has good access as does Axtel Bridge and Kirk Wildlife farther out of town (3 miles & 8 miles) heading toward Big Sky. BWOs are all around and caddis are starting in the evenings. Going to be warm until July 2nd, early morning and up to dark are probably best.
Have fun.

BobVP
06-24-2016, 11:49 PM
Thanks Paul.
Great information.
It has been along time! I hope you are well.

Added question: That section of the Madison that runs parallel to 84...I imagine it gets hit pretty hard because of the proximity to the highway (not my usual first choice, but with limited time...). Is it with fishing the access' there? Cherry Creek?