PDA

View Full Version : EFC or WFC conditions?

EDHFly
06-23-2016, 09:24 AM
Hey all,
First time on the board, new to the Sacramento area as of last year. Been a long time fly-fisherman (since I was 14) and super excited to be closer to the trout streams of the Sierras after moving from the bay area. I grew up in Oregon and I have a ton of experience on the lower Deschutes, Metolius and Crooked if anyone is planning a trip up there and wants advice.

I'm considering a trip to the Carson, either WF or EF, but haven't heard much on conditions lately. Has anyone been up there recently?

My buddy fished the SF American 2 days ago by Kyburz and hammered a bunch of 8-12 inch rainbows, we were up there 3 weeks ago and it was still blown out but he said its clear and in great shape now so that's an option as well.

Thanks!
James

cdevine
06-23-2016, 10:39 PM
East Fork of Carson has been pretty blown out this early summer. A few weeks back it was over 1000 but its not starting to get down into the 450-500 range. Still sort of murky green but not brown like it was was. Honestly I just drive by it when I head over to the East Walker or West Walker. I did fish a few of the smaller creeks around the West Carson last week and had lot of fun getting small Brookies. The West Carson looked really good. Flows around 110-130 CFS.

Fly Guy Dave
06-24-2016, 03:32 PM
I drove by both rivers this AM. The WFC is still a bit high, but the clarity looks OK and it looks fishable. The EFC is still pretty blown. I saw it Monday and it was chocolate milk in clarity and high, but today it looks murky-ish and high. I think you would have more success on the WFC right now.

johnsquires
06-24-2016, 05:12 PM
Welcome, James.

EDHFly
06-27-2016, 11:12 AM
Thanks all!
I've heard EFC is a late season river... saw there was a poster at Kiene's fly shop for a tournament in August via Amador Fly Fishers on the EFC. Unfortunately it's on my sons birthday.

EDHFly
06-27-2016, 11:26 AM
Thanks @cdevine How's the West Walker fishing?

cdevine
06-27-2016, 12:48 PM
Thanks @cdevine How's the West Walker fishing?

West walker is my definition of a true freestone fishery that gets massive late spring and early summer runoff during good winters. We are starting to see the tail end right now of the runoff season. Its been choc milk most of May-June this year so you haven't missed anything. In fact I would say it hasn't been fishable for most of that period. Last I checked it was running in the 450 range which is still fairly high. I haven't fished it yet but I would guess in the next 2 weeks it will start really coming into its own. I personally like to fish the little walker and hike around for some of the smaller wild fish. I will probably start that toward end of July this year. Don't discount the EW. Its flows are great right now at 240 and I can't see that lasting all summer. This fishery gets higher water temps so fish it now because sometimes by August it can get pretty warm.

BTW, the West Carson is in great condition today. Pretty ideal. Nice flows, cold/clear water. Fish away from the bridges and you can find some open water even on the weekends.

Bob Loblaw
06-30-2016, 03:42 PM
I was up there this weekend and the East Carson was verging on unfishable. It was high and colored but the bait dunkers were out in force nonetheless. I fished the wild trout section below Hangmans for about 30 mins and called it quits. it was too high to cross and there's not much in the way of fishable water there if you are stuck roadside.

I drove up to Hope Valley and fished along Blue Lakes road. If you can handle the mosquitos you'll have a blast casting dries to hungry brookies. I could only deal with them for about an hour, but still had 6 beautiful fish in hand.

I took myself down to the West Fork west of the 88/89 junction and fished the meadow section for a while. Conditions there were perfect for stalking and sight fishing big trout. I was broken off twice by the same monster fish...assuming it was a stocker...I could see it chasing all the wild fish around the pool it was holed up in and got him to take a streamer. I did manage to land a couple of beautiful wild fish again on a parachute adams.

The scenery in that valley is stunning. One of my favorite places to fish, even if it can get crowded. I was lucky on Sunday morning and didn't see another person. I started fishing at the Toyabe Forest boundary and fished upstream for about a mile.

cdevine
07-01-2016, 07:03 AM
I was up there this weekend and the East Carson was verging on unfishable. It was high and colored but the bait dunkers were out in force nonetheless. I fished the wild trout section below Hangmans for about 30 mins and called it quits. it was too high to cross and there's not much in the way of fishable water there if you are stuck roadside.

I drove up to Hope Valley and fished along Blue Lakes road. If you can handle the mosquitos you'll have a blast casting dries to hungry brookies. I could only deal with them for about an hour, but still had 6 beautiful fish in hand.

I took myself down to the West Fork west of the 88/89 junction and fished the meadow section for a while. Conditions there were perfect for stalking and sight fishing big trout. I was broken off twice by the same monster fish...assuming it was a stocker...I could see it chasing all the wild fish around the pool it was holed up in and got him to take a streamer. I did manage to land a couple of beautiful wild fish again on a parachute adams.

The scenery in that valley is stunning. One of my favorite places to fish, even if it can get crowded. I was lucky on Sunday morning and didn't see another person. I started fishing at the Toyabe Forest boundary and fished upstream for about a mile.

Nice report Bob. If you walk a little in the hope valley you can get away from the crowds and enjoy some nice meadow style fishing for wilds. I was up there the other day and the conditions are damn near perfect.

The east carson isn't what it use to be. Seems to carry more mud/silt now and the fire last year didn't help with clarity. Years ago that was a very good fishery but these days I tend to drive past it for better water. Years ago I've hiked way down into the canyon below the airport and got into a few nice fish but I'm not sure the reward is worth the effort these days.

Bob Loblaw
07-01-2016, 09:33 AM
Some of the biggest fish I've ever caught have come out of the East Carson. I had one huge day where I got to a hole just upstream from the Monitor Pass turnoff and the hatchery truck had obviously just been there and they had dumped in the end of season lunkers. I pulled about 30 fish out in 90 minutes, half a dozen over 24 inches. I took two back to camp and they tasted like dogfood! nasty! the fish in my avatar is one of them.

Some of the big fish in the wild section are stockers that have washed down there, but there are some genuinely big wild fish in there too. I have hiked down from the airport a couple of times, but that climb out is an ass kicker especially on a hot day. There are easier places to fish IMHO with the same quality of fish...its always a last resort for me...only go there if the rest of the Carson is elbow to elbow.

cdevine
07-01-2016, 12:54 PM
Yeah the east Carson is really a put and take place now for bait Dunkers and confederate flag trucks. (I'm 1/2 joking)
I just don't find any joy in the setting. Now if you are taking a young kid or a newbie to fly fishing it's a good option to hook fish. I'm of the opinion it helps greatly to catch fish when you first start. It gives you the juice for more.

Agree about the fish that get washed down. I caught some big ones deep in that ass kicking canyon and I was doubtful they were wild.
If you bushwhack on the west Carson you can catch some nice wild rainbows and trust me you won't see anybody. The folks with jeans on are up by the bridges.