PDA

View Full Version : Truckee. CA.

bigfly
06-20-2016, 08:00 AM
Just a fish report.... no need to post replies.
Just let it ride please.

OK.....
This is your Summer update.
The flows are perfect.
"Normal" levels for this time of year, clear green and 55-62.

The bug menu has expanded exponentially.
3-5 Mayflies hatching in the evening, the biggest are the Green Drakes, which are sporadic and sparse...
Try the nymph during the day. But have an adult/emerger/cripple or two just in case.
Find a riser, and stalk him.......
I have seen them come off at high noon, but they usually bust out at dusk.
A size down is a large PMD sz 12. Fish are rising for them.....
Some BWOs, and little white ones...sz18-20.
Caddis are starting to get very busy an hour before dark..
Little yellow sallies, and larger Goldens too....
Plenty of crawling ants, hopping hoppers, and some termite emergence flights.
Fish are chasing streamers......

The shoulder season has passed, so there are lots of people out on the water.
Pullouts are seeing pressure. It's time to walk a bit.......
It's gone early and late, mid-day can be a grind, if you don't bring your A game...
The Universal fishermen rolls out mid-morning.....maybe, get an early start for best results, and come back and stay late.
Fish on the fish's schedule for best results.

The flows are coming down quickly, water will start warming quickly before long....fish now.
We are having fun....hope you are too.
Treat'em nice!

Jim

EricO
06-20-2016, 02:51 PM
But IF I want to reply, do I get in trouble for posting my public thoughts?
And how severe is my punishment?....like fly fishing jail where I'm sentenced to tying 6 dozen size 22 Griffith's Gnats.....

bigfly
06-21-2016, 08:26 AM
Eric, if you have something of value to add, go ahead......
No penalty...
Just didn't want to see the post sit at the top of the page.
Hoping it will just scroll down naturally.
Not looking to start a conversation, just help out a little..
Like I said before....what's there to say? Just go fish.......;)

Jim

Morgan
06-21-2016, 09:22 PM
Love the style of report as always Jim!
But do the fish really have a schedule?
If one brings their "A" game, they can poke and prode all day.
But it can be a different type of fishing mid day.
The type we talked about years ago along the river.
"If your not snaggin, your not braggin". The bottom that is folks.
Dredge deep for those mid day eats....beat that quick flowing rapid of pocket water.
So for someone like me....lately that is...The sun is up too early. I cant sleep w/ an alarm on.
I love my bobber and high sticking!
Are you gonna get as many streamer chases mid day as first light? Probably not.
But gettting that extra rest to me puts me on my "A" game more often than the early rise.

We gotta meet up soon buddy!
Maybe an after work beer/bs/caddis sesh?
I lost all my contacts so feel free to give me a ring.

bigfly
06-22-2016, 09:19 AM
Morgan, email or call anytime...
My web site has info.
Glad you like the report.
It's easy....I just stand in the water till I see everything...then, run my lifetime bug comparison software, take a temp, then write it down...quickly, before I forget what I was .......
If you attend clients and fish enough...you feel it pick-up and slow down in a 24 hr. period.....and that coincides with coldest water temps, and lower light....and bugs.

I can't sleep-in anymore, old guy stuff?
Often I'm done fishing by 10.00 AM.
Use the day for life stuff....then come back for the evening session. Which is sweet...
Bugs have a schedule and fish eat bugs, and much like our restaurants/stores, we feed when we have food most avail..or find what we can..
Instead of making two hundred hopeful drifts, one or two well considered drifts, is a better approach for me.
I've become a statistical fisherman, it's a complex fraction.....casts/drifts/fish..
But, if you did swing it with me at dawn sometime, it might get easier to get up...........
Since you do bring A game..
We can fish anytime...
Mostly I was giving council to the
crack-o-noon dry fly guys.....not as many bugs emerging then, or willing risers....
Mid-day there is virtually nothing in the seine of the water. You do the clinic... sample every half hour..from dawn till dusk, and tell me what pattern you find....
A hopper or big/Lil golden stone might do it....
But mayflys are early-late...
Unless we get big clouds......then, the bugs often bust a move...and it's a good time to go fish. (So it's actually the conditions....not a schedule really.)
For me...it's show fish, what they want, where they want it, when they want it.......

So yes, the fish do have a schedule, and I follow it. Scratch that......I antisapate it.....

Flyfishing isn't really about luck...unless you've never done it before, or much....it's a slow accumulation of experience, until a point you can make fishing look easier than it should be........:rolleyes:

The snow pack has diminished rapidly.
Fish now!

Jim

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-22-2016, 09:36 PM
Thanks Jim.....

I fished the Truckee River "off-n-on" for 50 years and I can tell you that most fly fishers, including myself, have a hard time being consistent up there.

Your info is very helpful....

For years we always told folks from down here on the flat land that the 4th of July was almost always a good bet on the big T.

I think the Truckee River is a world class trout fishery with an extremely diverse food selection for the fish.

Maybe that is why it is not easy for most except the locals who live on it.

Anyone who want s to be helpful and give us ideas or reports about the Truckee is welcome here.

Anyone who has a big ego and wants to show it off with a pissing contest will be delete by little old me.

I am a pretty nice guy until someone messes with my message board.

bigfly
06-23-2016, 08:00 AM
Fresh post above......