PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Perch?

JR Martinez
06-15-2016, 11:45 PM
I can't really seem to confirm their presence even though I have seen there are populations but then again I have also read there aren't.

Does anybody have any info on this? And if they do exist in the state, where are they located and are there places fairly close to Sacramento?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-16-2016, 07:17 AM
Sacramento Perch

This might be what you have seen around here know to reach almost 8 pounds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacramento_perch

I believe they are in Pyramid Lake near Reno, Nevada too.

Yellow Perch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_perch

Tony Buzolich
06-16-2016, 08:13 AM
I think what you are talking about is available at Copco Lake. Upstream of the Klamath above I-5 is Copco. Long ways to go for a perch.

A while back Angler West TV did a show on catching perch there.
Tony

aaron
06-16-2016, 08:37 AM
In the past they've recommended not eating them out of Copco, not sure if still the case. I've fished it a few times, there's a ton but all are on the small side, not many eating size.

MTaylor
06-16-2016, 10:51 AM
Both Copco and Irongate have lots. Easy to catch. Bring a big bucket.

JR Martinez
06-16-2016, 11:24 AM
So they're all up near the Oregon border?

golfish
06-16-2016, 12:44 PM
Great eating fish, pain in the ass to clean for what you get but if you're gonna fire up the frier, do it up! Here's about 45 mins work off my dock on Copco, Memorial weekend...caught with a 6126 used as a tenkara rod and some shad flies, LOL

Nick B
06-17-2016, 08:13 AM
Yellow perch are probably the best tasting freshwater fish I've ever had (beating out crappie and Sacramento perch)-excellent table fair.

Those Klamath River reservoirs (like Copco and Iron Gate) do have perch which seem to average about 7-8". Those lakes do have issues with Microcystis in the summers. Microcystis is a blue-green algae that produces a toxin that accumulates in the fishes' meat as the growing season goes on (the toxin levels drop after the algae bloom ends). From what I've seen on those rivers, I would not eat fish from those lakes after June or so...

The 'other' perch we have around here is the Sacramento perch, which is actually a relative of crappie and rock bass (not a 'true' perch). I would have to say Sacramento perch are the second best eatin' fish around here. The best place to catch them is Crowley Lake, and the best time is right about now. They seem to average about a pound. Most people use spinning rods and jig for them, but fishing a streamer near the bottom under an indicator works almost as well.

Either way, it looks like a 4-5 hour drive to catch either species. Bring coolers and buckets, and good luck!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-17-2016, 08:50 AM
Thanks Nick......

He worked for us some while attending college but is now working for the CA DF&W.

What perch is in Pyramid Lake near Reno, Nevada?

JR Martinez
06-17-2016, 09:31 AM
I knew about the Sacramento Perch but was just curious about Yellow Perch because it's one of the fish I've heard about since I was a kid and know CA has had almost every freshwater fish known in America into it's waters with the exception being fish like pike, muskies, walleye and some I'm sure I'm missing.

I also rarely keep fish unless the people I'm camping or fishing with want them to eat or you can tell they're not gonna make it (mainly hatchery fish), all others are released

Rockman
06-17-2016, 08:26 PM
I grew up fishing Lake Hopatcong in New Jersey. Yellow perch were great fighting fish.

Pound for pound, they fought harder than everything else in the lake "pound for pound"

Oh yeah, excellent table fare!

A few years back, they introduced "Muskys". I may have to go back and do some field testing.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-17-2016, 09:18 PM
I knew they were back East.....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-17-2016, 09:22 PM
Distribution (from Wikipedia)

Yellow perch are only found in North America; they are native to the Arctic, Atlantic, Great Lakes-St. Lawrence River, and Mississippi River basins. In Canada, its native range extends throughout Nova Scotia and Quebec north to the Mackenzie River. It also is common in the northwest to Great Slave Lake and west into Alberta. It is not native to any other areas of Canada. In the United States, the native range extends south into Ohio, Illinois, and throughout the majority of the northeastern United States. It is also considered native to the Atlantic Slope basin, extending south to the Savannah River.

The yellow perch has also been widely introduced for sport and commercial fishing purposes. It has also been introduced to establish a forage base for bass and walleye. These introductions were predominantly performed by the U.S. Fish Commission in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. However, unauthorized introductions have likely occurred from illegal introductions, dispersal through connected waterways, and use as live bait. Isolated populations now occur in the northwest and southwest portions of the United States. Currently, the yellow perch has not been introduced outside of North America. Introductions in Canada have been less intense than in the United States.

jack_salmon99
06-17-2016, 11:26 PM
Yellow perch are in Iron Gate and Copco Reservoirs on the Klamath River. We found them in Lafayette Reservoir in the early 80's - don't know their current status in Lafayette.