PDA

View Full Version : Oh those golden memories! Good and bad.

alpen glow
06-10-2016, 07:37 PM
Some info from the pipe line I just got...

@taylerw sweet ya that's a nice one! However I don't know if you heard? SEKI has just posted this... If you loved catching golden's that will be a memory of the past..... *
Date: Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 10:39 AM
Subject: Release of High Elevation Aquatic Ecosystem Restoration Plan and Final Environmental Impact Statement for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks
To: m

June 9, 2016
Dear Interested Party:

I am pleased to announce the release of the High Elevation Aquatic Ecosystem Restoration Plan and Final Environmental Impact Statement (Restoration Plan/FEIS) for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. This Restoration Plan/FEIS will guide our management actions to restore and conserve native species diversity and ecological function to selected high elevation aquatic ecosystems that have been adversely impacted by human activities, particularly the past stocking of nonnative trout. The project would also increase the resistance and resilience of native species and ecosystems to human-induced environmental modifications such as disease and unprecedented climate change.
Over the past 16 years, we have effectively eradicated nonnative trout in 15 lakes and ponds using gill nets and electrofishers. Nonnative fish are currently being removed from eleven additional lakes and ponds. The removal of nonnative trout has been shown to be beneficial for native species. However, we have not had the tools necessary to restore habitats on a larger scale. If approved, this Restoration Plan/FEIS would allow us to use additional tools, including piscicides, for conducting high elevation aquatic ecosystem restoration at the landscape scale in the parks. This Restoration Plan/FEIS would help us restore up to 15% of our high elevation lakes and streams over the next 25 to 35 years. Its implementation would affect up to 85 of the 550 nonnative fish-containing lakes, ponds, and marshes, and approximately 31 miles of streams in these parks, thus, the impact to recreational fishing would be minor.

The final Restoration Plan/FEIS is available on the NPS Planning, Environment, and Public Comment (PEPC) website at http://parkplanning.nps.gov/aquatics. A limited number of printed documents are available. If you previously requested a printed version, you should receive it by June 13. To request a printed document or CD, call (559) 565-3102, or email me at seki_planning@nps.gov and include “Request Printed Copy” in the subject line.

A 30-day “no-action” period will begin on the date the Environmental Protection Agency publishes the notice of availability of the final plan in the Federal Register, which is scheduled to occur on June 10, 2016, after which the NPS will prepare a record of decision (ROD). After approval of the ROD by the Pacific West Regional Director, the selected alternative will be announced through local and regional press, and posted on the PEPC website. The expansion of the program, if approved, would start later this summer; however treatments using piscicides would not begin until 2017 or 2018.

Thanks for your interest in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.

Sincerely,

Woody Smeck

Superintendent

Environmental Compliance and Planning Office
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks
47050 Generals

James W
06-11-2016, 01:12 PM
There will still be a plethora of places in these parks to catch fish, including goldens. Less than 2% of streams will be restored to their original fishless state, less than 15% of lakes, ponds, and marshes.

Looking at the map of locations, and having spent a lot of time hiking the furthest backcountry of Sequoia NP in my youth, they've selected mostly locations more than crazy remote.

The comment period for this plan was over 2 years ago.