PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Reminder

johnsquires
06-09-2016, 05:44 PM
to use that sunscreen - good sunscreen. I got carved up (again) pretty good this week. Paying for the sins of youth.

John Sv
06-09-2016, 06:11 PM
Hear hear and hats! And don't think that non-melanoma cancers are "cancer light". A 3 inch scar on my face, numerous surgeries and a nice long round of radiation treatments remind me of that! Oh and that happened at age 37 so don't think it is an old person's disease!!!

Mark Kranhold
06-09-2016, 08:36 PM
to use that sunscreen - good sunscreen. I got carved up (again) pretty good this week. Paying for the sins of youth.

Oh yes!! 1 1/2" scare from last years basal cell carcinoma removal off the temple area of my head! No fun but ,had fun in my youth! Any sun exposure now of days I just feel like I'm on the frying pan as I get older . Neutrogena 85 wet skin spray on sunblock is a nice easy way to apply it for us fisherman rather than lotion on the skin of the hands transferring on fly line , tippet and flies!!

EricO
06-10-2016, 10:33 AM
Good call guys. I had a red lobster moment some years back.
Forgot the sunscreen...didn't even think about it...fishing at 8,000 ft
near Kirkwood. Yikes.

Tomato red burn. Reminds me of the B-52s "Rock Lobster!"

Eric

Bob Loblaw
06-10-2016, 12:18 PM
I've been under the knife a couple of times to have sketchy looking moles removed and have had numerous others frozen off. I put on a spf 25 face lotion every morning after shaving. Now just part of my routine.

When I fish I wear a buff even on a cloudy day and long sleeves always.

Mark Kranhold
06-10-2016, 07:36 PM
Check this ! That's OK with me ,good birth-control! As I get older I want to fish more not babysit .

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/14/health/sunscreen-sperm-male-fertility/

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-10-2016, 08:20 PM
Two things I hate are sunscreen and insect repellent......

JWilli
06-10-2016, 09:23 PM
I use Coppertone for kids (SPF 50). kind of overkill cause it is so thick, but works. Doesn't bother eyes and waterproof and no reaction with fly lines. Worked well for me at Christmas Island, Hawaii and Baja.

johnsquires
06-11-2016, 10:20 AM
Check this ! That's OK with me ,good birth-control! As I get older I want to fish more not babysit .

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/14/health/sunscreen-sperm-male-fertility/

Just think what is in deoderant.

Mark Kranhold
06-11-2016, 10:52 AM
Just think what is in deoderant.

Ya, that's some bad $hit! I haven't used deodorant since I was 20 just for that reason! Funny thing is I still smell like roses!

johnsquires
06-11-2016, 10:58 AM
Ya, that's some bad $hit! I haven't used deodorant since I was 20 just for that reason! Funny thing is I still smell like roses!

You've got that going for you, which is nice.

JayDubP
06-11-2016, 10:58 AM
I have used sunscreens for 60 years since I have vitiligo which has now totally depigmented me except for my eyes, so I cannot tan at all and can burn within 10-15mins. Plus I formulated and made sunscreens for over 30 years.

If you have a light complexion, got sunburned a lot or are over 50, get an annual check of your skin. Skin cancer is just like prostrate cancer and colon cancer... if you do not get screened it will probably be too late to treat it when it is detected. Even with annual skin checkups, you will probably have to get stuff frozen or cut off/out.... but at least you will be alive to complain.

Biggest advice -- sunscreen will only help if you use it. Be on guard on overcast days, since most of the heat rays are blocked but the UV rays still come through.
Use a “wide spectrum” or “full spectrum” sunscreen that blocks both UVA and UVB rays. Apply 30-60 minutes before you go out into the sun and always apply the first application on dry skin. If you have oily skin, wash & dry your skin or use alcohol wipes to remove excess oil.

Use a product that is "sweat resistant" and "water resistant" and always put the first application on dry skin. If a product breaks down when you sweat, you end up with 100% protection in some areas and zero in others. Apply liberally (I use twice the amount the manufacturer recommends.) You can reapply to sweaty or oily skin, but even then you are better off to dry your skin.

Carry single use alcohol or baby wipes to clean your hands & especially fingers before you touch any fishing equipment or anything rubber or plastic. I had sunscreen react with my golf club grips and ended up with black hands. I rest my left forearm on the window edge of my car-- it has removed some of the paint on the plastic trim. Sunscreens may damage flylines, leaders, cork handles. or even the rubber handles of your oars. Sunscreen is tough on flies.

Also, if a sunscreen is older than 6 months, throw it away. I always buy new in May and use it all summer. I know the
package will say it is good for 24mos or so, but if you are using it outside it is probably being stored at outside temperatures.
Many products state to reapply every 2 hours or so. This helps to protect you against their sunscreen breaking down from sweat or rubbing or saltwater. You should not have to do this-- but it is cheap insurance, so reapply. Especially if you are sweating.

Buy a good quality product that matches your skin type. If you have oily skin, get an oil-free sunscreen so you do not clog your skin or cause breakouts. If you are older or have dry skin, get a sunscreen that is moisturizing (not a moisturizer with sunscreen but a sunscreen that has moisturizing capabilities) to avoid dehydrating and damaging your skin. If you have sensitive skin, use a sunscreen for sensitive skin or baby skin. Ask your wife for help if you are uncertain since she probably understands skin care.

SPF- I use SPF 30 and do not burn (even without any skin pigment)- but I use products that are not affected by sweat. The number in SPF is roughly the amount of time it will take you to burn. If you normally burn in 30 mins, an SPF 30 would protect you for 15 hours or 900 minutes (30 mins times 30)- but remember sweat, rubbing the product off and water diminish this time.

A SPF 60 does not provide twice the protection as an SPF 30- it only provides the same protection for twice the time.
(so if you burn in 30 mins, an SPF 60 would protect you for 1800 mins or 30 hours (30 mins X 60) )
Nothing wrong with being safe, so if it gives you peace of mind, use a high SPF product... just make sure it will not break down and that it is the right product for your skin type.

Wear a hat. Wide brimmed or with a neck guard. Wear a buff if you can... If you wear a hat, you only block the direct/ downward rays not the sun reflecting off water. So, wear good quality sunglasses with UV protection- sun can damage your eyes also. With a hat, most of your exposure while fishing will be from the rays reflecting off the water.

Wear sun gloves. Simms and others make lightweight sun gloves for fishing. I have found I am less likely to get sunscreen on my flyline or leader if I use sun gloves and do not apply sunscreen to my hands.

Wear long sleeve shirts and if you wet wade wear long pants. There are lots of lightweight shirts & pants made to be on the water; that keep you cool and are very quick drying. Do not gamble with your sunscreen really being "water proof", especially on your legs if you stand in water for hours.

Buy a Brand Name product... Sunscreens are the closest regulated topical skin product in the US. FDA does a great job and would quickly ban an ingredient that is actually proven to be harmful. Skin care and cosmetics industry has lots of snake oil sales.... and one tactic is to sell their product by stating it does not contain a "questionable" ingredient citing obscure or unrelated studies.

johnsquires
06-11-2016, 11:47 AM
Thanks, JayDub, for that very informative and comprehensive post. I think you should submit that as an article to the fly fishing industry magazines.

njbeast
06-12-2016, 11:07 PM
I too have had Basal cell cut out. My doctor told me not to even bother with sunscreen that does not include both Titanium and zinc oxide. I use Eucerin Daily Protection. It is a broad spectrum SPF30. You can pick it up at just about any store.

Mr.Matt
06-12-2016, 11:18 PM
Thank you Jaydub for that info.
I copied it to send to some friends. Good stuff for us that are in the sun daily.

alpen glow
06-13-2016, 12:07 PM
My Uncle who taught me to fly fish ended up loosing his nose to skin cancer. the doctor said dos people don't keep enough sun screen on the nose and checks and the UV light reflecting off the sunglasses just fries those areas. the ears are important as well. i buy the dermatone zinc from fish first in el cerrito every few months... seems really bomber

JayDubP
06-14-2016, 08:34 AM
If you are bald or have thinning hair (or buzz cut) use sunscreen on your head, especially if you wear a mesh ball cap or if your ball cap has an open area in the back above the adjusting strap.

Bob G
06-14-2016, 11:08 AM
I am with JWilli, and give a second vote to Coppertone for Kids...it was rated a top sunscreen last year.

Best, Bob

John Sv
06-14-2016, 11:40 AM
As mentioned I had to do radiation treatments to get rid of one of them and also a few rounds with Effudex- nasty stuff. My suggestion is to avoid both if possible :) My derm says any sunscreen is good, but with a nod toward topical sunblock- stuff that blocks as opposed to stuff that neutralizes the radiation on/in the skin. Mechanical sunblock (buffs shirts, hats) are super important. I use this spendy hippy-dippy stuff called All Good from Herbal Essences, which leaves my face white but is non-nano sized. Some people say the nano sized sunscreen/sunblock particles can get into your skin and bloodstream. I'll leave the debate about that to people in the know...