PDA

View Full Version : Montana/ Missouri River fishing trip

yubaman
06-08-2016, 05:57 PM
We got back from our annual Montana shin-dig last week. This year it was 8 days of fishing around the Missouri River area. This year, after 3 years of having very warm, over 100 degree days, and not fantastic fishing, we timed it right. We rented a house right on the Dearborn River, with wade fishing out the back door. Unfortunately, we were the first ones in the house for the year, and some of the amenities had not been hooked up yet. We had no TV, very limited cell, no wifi and no internet service. This would not normally be an issue, but our GS Warriors were in the middle of the playoff series with the OKC Thunder. We were not missing this. Luckily, we found ourselves at home in Uncle Joe's Bar in Craig, among about 40 other Warrior fans also watching the game. I now know there is a God in this world. Cold beer and our Warriors. This was a good start.

The fishing has been very good there this year. We did 4 float trips on different rivers. We were able to get away from the crowds on the Mo for 3 of those. We pitched streamers for 3 1/2 days and fished dries for a half day. We spent the 3 days wading primarily nymphing. This year was the best fishing we have had in Montana in probably 8 years. Like us, they received a decent amount of water and snow this winter.

I think I might have landed my trout of a lifetime on this trip! I had a large fish slam my streamer on our Day 2 float. After an 8 minute fight, we got this 34" Bull Trout landed in the net. I was stoked to say the least. The Warriors W over OKC days later was only a bonus. I do not think I will ever forget this fish, nor the trip!

grnwtrs
06-08-2016, 07:17 PM
That Bull Trout has got to be a fish of the lifetime. I had caught a few, back in the day,
but nothing, I repeat nothing that could possibly compare with that fish.

Bull Trout are very special trout. Only live in very special places in Montana

Good Job,
gene

Fly Guy Dave
06-09-2016, 05:58 AM
That is a HUGE bull! A fish of a lifetime, indeed. Congratulations!

Morgan
06-09-2016, 07:01 AM
Awesome trip it sounds.
And congrats on the monster bull!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-09-2016, 08:39 AM
Beautiful big predator.......thanks......great photo.

I would get it blown up as large as it will go and frame it.

yubaman
06-09-2016, 09:29 AM
Absolutely. That goes on the wall in the Mancave at the Tahoe Donner house. It was caught on one of Kelly Galloup's Sex Dungeon's, in white. I became a huge fan of his articulated streamers after this trip. And a big shout out to our Guide for really educating us on this trip, regarding how to make those things deadly for the big brownies and occasional Bull.

The day before, he had another client who hooked a 16" brown, as well as the 30" Bull that chased down and inhaled the Brown after the brown was hooked! They ended up landing both fish?!

EricO
06-09-2016, 10:43 AM
That's awesome....What a beast!

cyama
06-09-2016, 06:45 PM
Nice fish Bob! Way to Stick em! Post some more photos of the "smaller" fish!

alpen glow
06-10-2016, 08:54 AM
sweet! i was wondering what you've been up to! if i get a chance ill swing by your shop.

yubaman
06-10-2016, 09:24 AM
12031120321203312034Well . . . Okay . . . CHris, thank you for being my paid shill here! A couple of other pictures actually. the double rainbow appeared right before Game 6 of the OHC/ Dubs series. It must have been an omen for their big win that night. The other picture is looking up-valley from our backyard. The scenery in Montana never ceases to amaze me every year. Awesome sights to take in.

The other Bull was a 27" fish landed about 20 minutes before the big guy. The other fish was a Brown taken on the Missouri.

If you are in the Missoula/ Bitterroot/ Missouri area, our guide is John Wilcox. He works for an outfitter named JoshLauer. They are both excellent guides to use in the area.

EricO
06-10-2016, 10:55 AM
Fishing all day in gorgeous country, and watching the GSW at night in a local bar?

That is absolute nirvana!