PDA

View Full Version : Lower Mokelumne River

kmastro
06-06-2016, 05:27 PM
Curious if anyone has fished the lower Mokelumne River below Camanche Dam and had any luck fly fishing since it recently opened. Heading there tomorrow to practice up before heading to Hat Creek Ranch in a couple weeks.

JTrick
06-06-2016, 08:41 PM
Short, in and out, 30 minutes this morning. Nothing.. Let me know how you do.

thepeacockspecial
06-07-2016, 01:17 PM
Used to fish it a lot when the river was open for Steelhead. Used to be great a few years back, not so much anymore.

kmastro
06-07-2016, 03:46 PM
Short, in and out, 30 minutes this morning. Nothing.. Let me know how you do.

Same results as you had. Tried Dries, Nymphs, Terrestrials and even a streamer with no luck. Didn't even see any fish. Better luck next time.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-07-2016, 05:01 PM
I would go in the evening to see if any caddis were coming off.

RickyOrtiz
06-09-2016, 03:48 PM
I'm 30 min away from there. I've had best luck in the morning, I've seen most of the caddis then and some small mayflies. I had a few on a griffiths gnat which always seems to do the trick there if you see rising fish. Also a size 18 caddis as a dropped with a bead head soft hackle pheasant tail works well for me there. The evening about 630 and later not to much action had a few on the caddis at the second parking lot no risers and very little hatch wise. This year is the best caddis hatch I've seen since they added gravel a couple years ago. Diving caddis pattern works well swinging it in the fast water as well.