PDA

View Full Version : Rancho Seco 5/31

JR Martinez
05-31-2016, 11:14 PM
Went to Rancho Seco today, and it was a scorcher but I didn't mind too much. Fished from the docks and saw a decent sized bluegill and a huge rainbow but they promptly disappeared in the time it took me to choose a fly and tie it on so it was just me and the little guys. Caught three bluegill all together, one on a black and orange beetle and two on a bright green beetle... both of which being the Leetle Beetle and is quickly becoming one of my go to patterns. Tried a topwater tadpole, I think it's called a Pyramid Lake Tadpole or something, that I saw online to see if I could entice anything bigger up from deep water or from cover but no dice.

If I were to go again tomorrow, I'd bring a few adult damsels. They were everywhere and fish were jumping to take them, mostly from spots out farther into to the lake or places along the shore I couldn't reach without a boat, or a chainsaw. The other insects I saw around, and as plentiful as the damsels, were Eight-spotted Skimmers, what I think were Black Saddlebags and a few of standard annoying house/fruit/whatever flies associated with public places and the messes people leave behind.

I hope this helps for anybody planning on going out there soon. Oh, and if you're a bird watcher and photographer as well, there were tons of subjects for you to choose from including an osprey and what I'm pretty sure was a white-faced ibis.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-01-2016, 06:40 AM
http://www.kiene.com/portfolio-view/ranch-seco-park-pond/

Rancho Seco Lake is a nice place to fish.

Water is usually very clear which makes things more fun than many other ponds.

JMKiernan
06-01-2016, 08:43 AM
Did you hear about the fellow that has been spearfishing giant bass at Rancho Seco? I guess he has since been banned from the park and reported to DFG. From what I heard he was also on probation for another DFG violation. Not sure if he has been charged with this or not. 1200612007

PV_Premier
06-25-2016, 08:52 AM
Did you hear about the fellow that has been spearfishing giant bass at Rancho Seco?

SMH. what a moron.