PDA

View Full Version : Yuba frustration

PV_Premier
05-13-2016, 11:51 AM
Been out to fish the evening 'hatch' about 3x in the past 10 days. It is really rough out there. Mayflies almost completely absent, and also a relative shortage of caddis. Seen a few fish jumping/splashing on the far bank, inaccessible for the wade angler due to the heavy flows. I had a couple grabs swinging on a sculpin streamer last night about 45 minutes before sundown, then one rise/refusal on a purple haze caddis right at dusk.

That being said, the sunset was crazy beautiful last night, and the beer was cold...so can't complain too much.

Mr T
05-13-2016, 02:40 PM
Been out to fish the evening 'hatch' about 3x in the past 10 days. It is really rough out there. Mayflies almost completely absent, and also a relative shortage of caddis. Seen a few fish jumping/splashing on the far bank, inaccessible for the wade angler due to the heavy flows. I had a couple grabs swinging on a sculpin streamer last night about 45 minutes before sundown, then one rise/refusal on a purple haze caddis right at dusk.

That being said, the sunset was crazy beautiful last night, and the beer was cold...so can't complain too much.

Sounds like a fine day out if you ended it that way~!

alpen glow
05-13-2016, 03:10 PM
What type of Beer PV?
AJ's in Marysville has fresh squeezed on tap.... yummy!

Jake O
05-14-2016, 08:25 AM
I fished the evening hatch two evenings ago. I was actually surprised at the amount of bugs. Some peds comimg off (pinkies) some small bwo mayfly looking things and some really large drakes. I was equally suprised however at the lack of fish. Sunked. Saw one riser--and this is in a spot I generally have done well in years past. As I was wet wadding I noticed the water was still pretty cold. I think this may be having an effect on risers. Did not have a thermometer, but seemed cold for this time of year (granted, my mind does not extend beyond the last few years of the drought). I've managed a few nice fish on the y this year but overall very tough. Big fly would probably like it lol. But anyone who knows the y knows that tough on the y (an already tough river) is really, really, tough

bigfly
05-14-2016, 09:35 AM
Jake O, not going to say it's not a challenging piece of water.....
Going to try to fish/float the Y this next week to share the pain....
I'll let you know...
Cold temps do keep the action down to a minimum.
It slowed things up here too.

Jim

Troutsource
05-14-2016, 11:04 AM
Trout spend over 90% of their time feeding subsurface. They're always feeding. So if they're not on top, they're underneath. Make sure you're trying some nymphing (including caddis pupae).

yubaman
05-14-2016, 12:26 PM
For what it's worth, I have had some success with big stuff on top, namely Rogue Golden's in about size 12-14. It's about the only thing that has been somewhat consistent for me, somewhat being the key word. The higher flows seem to have the fish moving on opportunity, and this is certainly something easier for them to see. It hasn't been easy in the higher flows, but they're out there.

PV_Premier
05-17-2016, 07:55 PM
What type of Beer PV?
AJ's in Marysville has fresh squeezed on tap.... yummy!

Sierra Nevada of course, straight out the can knee deep in the river. The only way I know.

Morgan
05-18-2016, 08:30 AM
Sierra Nevada of course, straight out the can knee deep in the river. The only way I know.

Its hard to beat those green cans.
So much better out of the can and much more river friendly.

bigfly
05-18-2016, 09:01 AM
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac260/Bigfly1/th_20150511_163404.jpg (http://s905.photobucket.com/user/Bigfly1/media/20150511_163404.jpg.html)
A re-run I know....

I will brave the danger of glass, and lean towards class.....and big bugs too...
Asked SN about sponsoring me, hoping for a "powered by torpedo" sticker for my truck....

Jim

mattv-mcfly
05-18-2016, 06:33 PM
I checked the Yuba out this morning/afternoon. Not a whole lot happening but I did manage to find three strong and healthy fish that took a golden stone nymph. Great fight on a 5WT. I have my fingers crossed for lowered flows this summer.

alpen glow
06-10-2016, 08:58 AM
thats almost a Haiku Jim!