PDA

View Full Version : Veteran bass angler Pete Peterson passed away.........

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-12-2016, 09:58 AM
From John Hogg

Long time Granite Bay Flycaster member Pete Peterson passed away early Sunday morning, May 10, 2016, at the age of 79.

Newer members may not have run into Pete, as his health issues, as well as those of his wife, had severely curtailed his attendance in the last couple of years.

Before that though, Pete was a fixture at all GBF events. He was the guy in the back room perking the coffee and setting up for the meeting. He was an innovative fly tyer, (Bass flies only, if you please!), and helped out with casting clinics, fly tying jams, fish outs, and much more. Pete was a great friend of Bill Kiene, and for many years coordinated club activities with Kiene's Fly Shop.

Pete joined GBF in 1993 and was known as a 'bass only' fly angler, as in his opinion, trout were simply a menu item for his beloved large mouths and stripers. Pete was profoundly vague about his favorite fishing spots. Once, when asked where he had caught a particularly large bass, he replied, "Up the north arm of Folsom lake.

We intend to have a short remembrance for Pete at the June meeting, and in that light, I would like to get some photos of him and any stories that you might have, that would bring Pete's memory alive again. Please let me know if you have something to share.

Regards, John Hogg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-12-2016, 10:00 AM
Pete was a dear friend of ours who was a great Kiene's Fly Shop supporter.

He had a wonderful full life with lots of family and friends.

We will miss him......

aaron
05-12-2016, 10:53 AM
Pete was fun a guy to chat with and to try to get to open up about his favorite bass spots. RIP.

k.hanley
05-12-2016, 11:33 AM
I can remember the first time I saw Pete down in Los Gatos. I was conducting a saltwater clinic and Pete was hanging out in the back of the room. When I was done he came up and asked if I did anything with bass. I said "Yup" and that started a long friendship that has lasted many decades.

I admired his love of family. He extended that sincere interest and concern for my family as well. Family and friendship counted.

I received a call from Mark (Pete's son) the other day. We spoke about relationships, the love of sharing the great outdoors, and legacy. Losing Pete was a gut wrench.

A time once again for reflection.

Respectfully, Ken

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-12-2016, 06:12 PM
I think Pete must have lived south of San Fran somewhere.

He was a member of the San Jose Flycasters many years ago.