PDA

View Full Version : McCloud Recon

rh crank
05-03-2016, 08:36 PM
Stopped at the McCloud River Saturday in the area referred to as Fowlers. Hiked the short stretch between Lakin Dam and Upper Falls campgrounds. The river seemed in perfect shape for the opener but was surprised to see exactly zero fishermen. Anybody know about this section? Is it fished out or wa?

lcpl.allan
05-07-2016, 01:00 PM
Not quite sure the area you are talking about, I've only fished the McCloud a couple times. I'm headed up there next week. Are you talking about the damn at Lake McCloud or is there another damn out there? I'm still learning the area. (Plus, when I get back I'll let you know how bad the fishing is so you won't have to waste your time going back there. :D:D)

rh crank
05-09-2016, 05:37 PM
lc, Lakin Dam is far upstream from Lake McCloud. It's more of a pond with spillway that was used years ago by the timber folks. This very small dam is above the series of falls on the upper McCloud. But from this dam to Upper Falls is beautiful water with no fishermen.

StevenB
05-10-2016, 08:23 AM
So, short answer to your question:
Upper McCloud (above McCloud Dam and lake) is considered a put and take fishery. Stocked by DFW and fished a lot in the summer. Not heavily fished around the opener. Does have a reasonable population of smallish wild fish, mostly in the parts below Lakin Dam, also has browns and brookies in it.

Lower McCloud (below McCloud Dam) is considered the fly water, lots of fishers on the opener.

Want to know more, feel free to give me a call.

lcpl.allan
05-23-2016, 12:46 PM
Thanks guys. I'm not extremely familiar with the McCloud. I've fished the lower a few times now.
Our fishing trip was fairly successful. We got in late afternoon on the 11th (after stopping at the Fly Shop to see my cousin, and then to Wildcard Brewing in Redding, to see another cousin. Yes, those were shameless plugs!) After setting up camp at Ash camp we headed down to the cathedral and threw flies there from about 6:30 to dark. It seemed the fish were not selective on what they would rise for but the most productive were adams, elk hair caddis, and smaller stimulator patterns. Our group of four probably averaged about 30 fish a piece that night. All the fish ranged from 12 to 16 inches. The largest was shockingly caught on tenkara!
On Thursday we woke up after the sun, had breakfast and got ready then headed down to the conservancy. There was only on tag available so my buddy took his son in to get him into some fish. My friend and I fished up from the conservancy and each hooked into a few fish on nymphs. Golden stones and prince nymphs seemed to be the key. We again hit the cathedral and hooked into a lot of smaller fish until dark.
Friday we had the same leisurely pace as the day before. We fished up from Ash camp and had a good day of hooking into a few larger fish with most being between 14 to 18 inches. I decided to take my two weight and head up Hawkins creek to explore. If you're looking to kill and hour or two grab your small rod and head up a little ways and throw some small dries there! I averaged one fish every two minutes. Just be prepared to not catch anything over six inches. But damn were they gorgeously colored!!! Friday night we headed back to the cathedral and hooked into more fish until dark.
Saturday we packed up and headed back home.
Overall, the fishing was great while we were there. The water was nice and cold, fish were nice and active almost all day long. We brought a float tube with us this time to reach the back of the cathedral pool and swing streamers to some good sized rainbows and browns.
Don't forget, when you guys pass through Redding, stop by my cousin's brewery, Wildcard Brewing, and let them know Josh sent you!

RaffiB
05-24-2016, 06:46 AM
Great report. Thanks for sharing. Hawkins is a nice change of pace.

cdevine
05-24-2016, 02:55 PM
Thanks guys. I'm not extremely familiar with the McCloud. I've fished the lower a few times now.
Our fishing trip was fairly successful. We got in late afternoon on the 11th (after stopping at the Fly Shop to see my cousin, and then to Wildcard Brewing in Redding, to see another cousin. Yes, those were shameless plugs!) After setting up camp at Ash camp we headed down to the cathedral and threw flies there from about 6:30 to dark. It seemed the fish were not selective on what they would rise for but the most productive were adams, elk hair caddis, and smaller stimulator patterns. Our group of four probably averaged about 30 fish a piece that night. All the fish ranged from 12 to 16 inches. The largest was shockingly caught on tenkara!
On Thursday we woke up after the sun, had breakfast and got ready then headed down to the conservancy. There was only on tag available so my buddy took his son in to get him into some fish. My friend and I fished up from the conservancy and each hooked into a few fish on nymphs. Golden stones and prince nymphs seemed to be the key. We again hit the cathedral and hooked into a lot of smaller fish until dark.
Friday we had the same leisurely pace as the day before. We fished up from Ash camp and had a good day of hooking into a few larger fish with most being between 14 to 18 inches. I decided to take my two weight and head up Hawkins creek to explore. If you're looking to kill and hour or two grab your small rod and head up a little ways and throw some small dries there! I averaged one fish every two minutes. Just be prepared to not catch anything over six inches. But damn were they gorgeously colored!!! Friday night we headed back to the cathedral and hooked into more fish until dark.
Saturday we packed up and headed back home.
Overall, the fishing was great while we were there. The water was nice and cold, fish were nice and active almost all day long. We brought a float tube with us this time to reach the back of the cathedral pool and swing streamers to some good sized rainbows and browns.
Don't forget, when you guys pass through Redding, stop by my cousin's brewery, Wildcard Brewing, and let them know Josh sent you!

Very good write up. Thanks. I plan on taking a trip up in a couple weeks. (first part of June). I fish mainly the western and eastern slope so this area is somewhat new to me. Its been awhile. I love to fish small creeks so I will definitely bring a small 2 weight and throw some dries.

A couple quick ?

1. Early week around the ash creek area how is the pressure typically? (thinking of a Tuesday)
2. Is there any hotel suggestions within 30 minutes? I hate to admit it I'm just not a camper. Somewhere in the middle. Not a dive but not a resort either.

Thanks! Chris

amoeba
05-24-2016, 06:06 PM
I've stayed in the Motel 6 north of Weed when I've gone there late in the year and felt cold and lazy, and it is actually quite OK. Mid-week should be no big deal for fishing pressure.

rh crank
05-26-2016, 07:53 PM
lcpl. Great post but please help me out. Where on the McCloud is the cathedral?

cdevine
05-31-2016, 11:00 AM
lcpl. Great post but please help me out. Where on the McCloud is the cathedral?

Any recent updates on upper sac or mccloud. I'm heading up next week for a couple days. Plan to stop into Ted Fay's shop. Looks like upper sac is down around 450 CFS but not sure if that will flux with some hotter temps and snow melt this week. Golden stones buzzing around?

Thanks for any updates. They are appreciated.

lcpl.allan
06-22-2016, 09:37 AM
We were up there on Wednesday afternoon and there was very little pressure. It wasnt until Friday night, Saturday morning that we started to see a lot of people coming in.
Had a guy drop in on me less than 15 feet away and start working the same seams I was.

lcpl.allan
06-22-2016, 09:42 AM
Take a quick stop at the fly shop in Redding and ask for Cory and let him know his cousin Josh sent you by. He will be able to answer any and all of your questions.
And since you'll be in Redding, swing by wildcard brewing to pick up some really good beer! And if Jeff or Jenny is in let them know their cousin Josh sent you in.

(yes, this was a shameless plug for my cousins.) But seriously, Cory can help you out with anything you need to know about fishing up there! And Jeff brews some amazing beer!
Have fun!