PDA

View Full Version : Broken guide

EricO
05-02-2016, 11:08 AM
I broke the second snake guide down from the tip of my rod. Looks like it just
pulled away from the rod. Probably on a tree branch.

What is the best way to repair? Will epoxy hold it?

Thanks,
EricO

Mr F
05-02-2016, 11:49 AM
Hey Eric,

It's a pretty easy fix. If you can whip a rope you can wrap a rod. You'll need to:

- carefully cut off the old thread and epoxy with a razor blade or xacto knife (taking care not to nick the blank)

- re-wrap the guide with thread (There are many great how-to videos online--and no, you don't need a rod wrapper. Look up the "heavy book method" online.)

- coat the thread with rod builders epoxy (typical epoxy won't hold up for the longterm) Note: mixing the epoxy correctly is the hardest part.

- If you don't have a rod dryer you'll have to rotate the rod by hand (give it a turn every few minutes). Working with a rod dryer is easier as you'll be hand turning every 5 minutes for 2-3 hours. Try to borrow a rod dryer if you can.

- Alternatively you can use spar varnish to coat the wraps. It takes longer but you don't need to turn the rod. Most (all?) factory rods use epoxy.

- Most fly shops don't carry rod building supplies so I order online from Mudhole.com or Custom Fly Rod Crafters.

If this sounds like too much of a hassle, I'd take it to a local rod builder. It's a simple fix and shouldn't cost too much. Your local fly/tackle shop should be able to give you names.

Online how-to resources:

- http://www.flyrodcrafters.com/rod-building-101/

- http://www.mudhole.com/How-To-Build-A-Fishing-Rod

- http://www.flexcoat.com/learning-center/instructional-videos (the how to mix epoxy video is really good)

PM me if you have any questions.

-MF

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-02-2016, 12:17 PM
In town Dave "Buff" Henrickson can fix it for you.

916/489-3789

You can leave it at the shop or go to his house near Watt &
Fair Oaks.

*He can cut your hair too.......

JayDubP
05-02-2016, 12:18 PM
EricO: pm sent. I have a desktop rod turner/wrapping stand(s) you can borrow if you are in my area

Jim.

johnsquires
05-02-2016, 01:40 PM
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you were talking about me after a client I had a couple years back.

EricO
05-02-2016, 01:56 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Much appreciated!

Johnsquires. Nightmare client? Lol.

EricO

johnsquires
05-03-2016, 05:17 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Much appreciated!

Johnsquires. Nightmare client? Lol.

EricO

I think I need therapy.

lee s.
05-08-2016, 11:26 AM
Hmmmm.....maybe........ YES!
Hey John, getting ready for this year?

Bob G
05-09-2016, 03:37 PM
Hey Eric -

First I would attempt to gently slip each foot of a new, equally sized guide into the existing holes. If yes, repeat with a very-very small tad of epoxy into each hole as well as on each foot.

Good Luck,

Bob

SeanO
05-09-2016, 05:36 PM
If you're close to Woodland, there is a local fellow who replaces them for $6 an eye.

Seems like good work on a couple of my rods.

EricO
05-10-2016, 03:47 PM
Wow, that's inexpensive!

johnsquires
05-10-2016, 08:57 PM
Hmmmm.....maybe........ YES!
Hey John, getting ready for this year?

Guess who is going again this year.

PV_Premier
05-29-2016, 03:03 PM
If you're close to Woodland, there is a local fellow who replaces them for $6 an eye.

Seems like good work on a couple of my rods.

Could you PM me this person's contact info?