PDA

View Full Version : Battle Creek question..or two

BobVP
04-26-2016, 01:02 PM
I have searched around on the Forum and found a few answers but not an answer to this:

Is there access to BC from the Coleman FH Road...That is, Is there access (I do not mind walking) to a place where there may be fish?

I did find the access information on the Forum about access east, near Mineral, but I have very little information about what, if anything, happens below....

Just a curious guy, looking for a place to catch a wild trout, give a quick "talking to" and placing it back into the water.

Thanks.

cdevine
04-26-2016, 08:21 PM
I have searched around on the Forum and found a few answers but not an answer to this:

Is there access to BC from the Coleman FH Road...That is, Is there access (I do not mind walking) to a place where there may be fish?

I did find the access information on the Forum about access east, near Mineral, but I have very little information about what, if anything, happens below....

Just a curious guy, looking for a place to catch a wild trout, give a quick "talking to" and placing it back into the water.

Thanks.

Bob, I have fished a few of the "beats" that the FLY SHOP in Redding has access too. This is part of their private water. But that area is up near Darrah Springs Hatchery. I have never fished down near coleman. I'm not familiar with access points. Honestly the $100 or so I paid to access the water up near Darrah was worth every penny. Brutally rugged landscape so unless you are very fit I wouldn't suggest it. It's loaded with small wild rainbows that don't get much pressure. If that option is available to you I would suggest looking into it.

Ben J
04-27-2016, 03:12 PM
You can access the water upstream from Coleman on foot if i remember correctly.

Magic
04-29-2016, 08:32 PM
I have fished Battle Creek, but ditto...I used the The Fly Shop to book my beats. Little pressure, no one else there. The hiking down to the river was an adventure. Bring a GPS...you can't see the river from where you park and have to go down several good sized hills. One at the river, some parts are hard to navigate around as you move down. Good nymphing, ran out of time to really explore or get to the "good spots". Once you are the river, bring your lunch as you will NOT want to hike back up the hills to the car. Ouch. Mostly 10-14" bows, however, we did get into some nice size fish. Enjoy. Magic.

Magic
04-29-2016, 08:53 PM
Hard river to get to...hiking can be tough. Bring a GPS so you can find the car on the way back. I paid The Fly Shop for specific beats. No pressure, no one else there. Hiking along the river can be difficult in spots. Fish were mostly 10-14", however, we found a few larger ones in some pools. All nymphing so I was bummed. The hiking back was up some steep hills and will kick your butt if you you are not in shape like me. Nice area. Have fun! Magic...