PDA

View Full Version : Loreto Report

Carl Blackledge
04-23-2016, 11:14 AM
Hey guys,

I just got off the phone with my guide. He said we have LOTS of Sargasso, we have lots of small Sardines in the Harbor, he also mentioned some guys have been catching Marlin since March.

Now you know what I know.

Carl

chixnribs
06-02-2016, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the post. I'm heading down in a couple of weeks. Do you know if the sardines were brown or olive?
Sean

Carl Blackledge
06-02-2016, 11:36 AM
I'll also be their in a few weeks, June 23 is my first day for a Month.

The Sardines are chrome with an olive/green back, however after you toss them in the water their backs will turn a rusty brown, because they "light up" or get scared from being chased by the predators.

I tie and sell the articulated crease flies and the Sardine patterns at Kiene's fly shop, stop by and check them out .

Carl Blackledge

Baja Fly Fisher
06-02-2016, 04:00 PM
Not what I"ve been hearing

Carl Blackledge
06-02-2016, 05:23 PM
Not what I"ve been hearing
Jay,

The report you commented on was 6 Weeks old.

Carl

Carl Blackledge
06-03-2016, 03:03 PM
Jay,

The report you commented on was 6 Weeks old.

Carl

Hey guys,

I called my guide today, he told me he caught a Dorado yesterday, and a rooster around 45-50 pounds, very little Sargasso, and very little sardines around at this time, My guide's buddy caught about 8 big Dorado between 25 and 35 pounds to the east. Things are only going to get better, and besides the Sardines usually don't show up till around June 10-15, Now you know what I know

Carl Blackledge

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-03-2016, 04:07 PM
Carl goes to Loreto, Baja, Mexico for about 3 to 4 weeks every year for decades.

He likes to go late June through July.

It is still one of the best values in salt water inshore fly fishing travel with "Mahi Mahi / Dorado / Dolphin fish" being the main attraction.

chixnribs
06-06-2016, 09:25 PM
Thanks guys! I'm heading down July 19-25 for my fourth trip. Love Loreto and absolutely second Bill's comment that this is the best fly trip you can take for the price. Drinks, airfare, lodging, guides, food, drinks <$2000. The best flank steak I've ever had was at a restaurant called the "Super Donkey". Yes, it's a restaurant.