PDA

View Full Version : Early May, 5 days free...where to go? Will bring back pics + report

Gregg
04-22-2016, 01:29 PM
May 10th - 15th, anywhere in CA is game, where would you go? Gonna spend some time camping and exploring, would love some intel or ideas. More than happy to bring back reports, pics, conditions to lead the way for the next person. Very down to do some 4x4 and hiking and explore. Thoughts?

VinnySteel
04-22-2016, 01:47 PM
Ever been to Kirman lake on the East side? I don't know that I would spend more than a day or 2 there but if you have a float tube or inflatable raft of some kind you can catch some very nice Cuttys and its known to have some of the largest Brooke trout around. Haven't been there in a couple years and I'm curious myself as to how it faired through the drought. It's about a 2-3 mile hike off of hwy 108.

cdevine
04-22-2016, 02:07 PM
Ever been to Kirman lake on the East side? I don't know that I would spend more than a day or 2 there but if you have a float tube or inflatable raft of some kind you can catch some very nice Cuttys and its known to have some of the largest Brooke trout around. Haven't been there in a couple years and I'm curious myself as to how it faired through the drought. It's about a 2-3 mile hike off of hwy 108.

I think we are going to be a little surprised and pleased with the runoff and snow this year. (Meaning May is going to be a tough month to fish anywhere above 7500 feet unless you can get to a lake). I want to say Kirman is around that elevation. We are going to get a foot this weekend at places like Kirkwood. This needs to be factored in. Not like last year.

With that said I would focus on tail waters. Then again so will everybody and there mom. But places like the NFYR, Upper Sac, East Carson, West Walker, West Carson, etc are all going to be running high. I think by mid June these places will be prime and fish good into the fall. Personally I've had some good days on the EW but its still boney at 65 CFS. Hopefully the pump it over 100 soon. Both Twin lakes will fish well early on. Both are full. There is always the BT and LT. Pretty hard to ignore those fisheries. Not easy fishing but rewarding as hell if you get into a few beast.

Good luck and keep us posted.

k9mark
04-22-2016, 02:18 PM
Anywhere off hwy 108. Specifically Kennedy meadows, Leavitt lake and Leavitt meadows. I won't tell you where but Goldens are within reach (hike) in any of those areas.

TaylerW
04-25-2016, 03:11 PM
you can drive into monache meadow via black rock jeep trail ( more like dirt road, decent clearance/AWD is fine), the SF kern river flows through a massive beautiful meadow, and then you can hike up the SF kern. You can literally drive your car to the river and catch goldens.....

TaylerW
04-25-2016, 03:13 PM
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=87842&inline

k9mark
04-25-2016, 11:21 PM
you can drive into monache meadow via black rock jeep trail ( more like dirt road, decent clearance/AWD is fine), the SF kern river flows through a massive beautiful meadow, and then you can hike up the SF kern. You can literally drive your car to the river and catch goldens.....

I think it's still going to be under a lot of snow early May. Without checking, I think the GTW doesn't open until July 1st for fishing. I have to check that.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-26-2016, 07:33 AM
I have some very general ideas for a road trip in spring.

Spring creeks seem to fish better early than freestone streams.

Lakes usually fish better than most streams because of run off.

Camping should be cold at night so be prepared.

Probably stay under 5000 feet?

Getting away into the wilds is always better than working.....

TaylerW
04-26-2016, 08:37 AM
Didn't even think about snow! I guess we had a real winter this year? With the drought the last couple years I was wet wading in the lower sierra in late march! Hope you find somewhere cool. A great option is to camp on the rubicon out of Georgetown...

bigfly
04-26-2016, 09:26 AM
I've been scampering around up here for decades and I can say this wasn't a "normal winter".
The pack has eroded due to rain....and then warm weather, and then more rain.
from 6-7 thousand it is patchy or dry/mooshy....
Depending on the aspect of the slope of course.
I recommend carrying waterproof socks for early season meadow hiking....
The drought continues....

Jim

cdevine
04-27-2016, 11:21 PM
I've been scampering around up here for decades and I can say this wasn't a "normal winter".
The pack has eroded due to rain....and then warm weather, and then more rain.
from 6-7 thousand it is patchy or dry/mooshy....
Depending on the aspect of the slope of course.
I recommend carrying waterproof socks for early season meadow hiking....
The drought continues....

Jim

For me I think the letdown for winter was mainly driven by the hype of El Niņo. We didn't get what was projected. I mean statistically we did get very close to average but we need above average. Most western slope mtns are +500 inches of snow and a lighter down the eastern side. Mammoth is heading toward 400. Either way you slice it we are at the best levels since 2011. I'm not complaining. We will have water all summer in our rivers and I will be making the most of it.

I wish I had 5 days! Mtn Creeks and freestone rivers will be high and cold early on. Upper sac area is awesome but I think June this year is prime there. Flowing 1k + right now. McLeod, Pit? Wherever it is I will be envious.

TaylerW
04-28-2016, 08:46 AM
I would not overlook eastern Oregon, that puts in prime time for Deschutes salmonfly action. There are some amazing camping spots! Trout Creek, Mecca Flats, as well as others down river.....