PDA

View Full Version : I was just giving a guy some advise on a pram......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-21-2016, 08:20 AM
Advise on prams.......

8' is usually for one person

10' would be for one or two small folks.

12' is good for one or two.

If it is for moving water you might need rocker at both ends but not good with motors.

If you want to use it in lakes get one that is flat on the bottom with a bottom that is at least 40" wide.

Get oars that are longer...7 to 8 feet.

Have anchor cleats at both end for dual anchoring.

I like the Minn Kota 55# thrust 12 volt transom mount with the shortest shaft.

That is the largest thrust 12 volt.

I would get that in the short 36" shaft for a pram.

If you don't run it on highest speed the battery will last longer through the day.

Get a good smaller group 24 deep cycle battery. Some use two batteries, one is a backup.

Charge it fully as soon as you return from a trip.

Little short 16" shaft outboards are great on some prams. I like a 4 hp, 4 strokes with a top gas tank.

Valco and Western were very popular thin aluminum prams. They came in 8', 10', 12' and 14' and 44" wide on the rear bottom.

TP&L, Olympia boats by Columbia fiberglass, Outback and Keaton were nice fiberglass tri-hulls that came in 8 and 10 feet.

Spring Creek prams are very well made fiberglass prams but some are not too stable for standing and casting.

Metal Head and other all welded prams are very good but some have too much rocker in the rear and not good for motors.

If you need any advise on prams besides myself many of the staff at Kiene's American Fly Fishing Company can help.

Andy, Terry and Sam have had lots of different prams.

Sadly not too many new ones are produced now so used ones are the way to go.

Buy one when you see it because when you want one they are hard to find.

Call, email or private message me with any questions on prams or accessories.