PDA

View Full Version : Del Brown was considered by most to be the number one Permit fly fisher.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-19-2016, 08:19 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Delmar-E-Brown-took-fly-fishing-to-a-record-2570905.php

Lee Haskin
04-21-2016, 09:56 AM
Hi Bill,

Thank you for remembering Del.
He was my fly fishing mentor from the 1960's until his death. I was fortunate to fish with Del for many years, starting with LMB on his local lake, and then to stripers in the south SF Bay. His love of top water action really stuck with me, and we were always "tweaking" poppers and flies, and testing them on his lake. He introduced me to Jack Gartside's Gurgler, and after improving that pattern, with a more durable foam, it has consumed a large part of my fly fishing business.
Unlike many high energy fly fishing personalities, Del was quiet, humble, and never wanted the spot light. However, when you catch over 500 permit, and hold many world records, it is impossible to remain anonymous.
The Del Brown Permit Tournament, in the Keys, is testament to his accomplishments.
http://www.delbrownpermittournament.com/

I was fortunate to fish permit with Del and legend permit guide Steve Huff, and caught my first permit on that trip! This trip, and fish, may be the highlight of my fly fishing career!

For more of Del's story and pictures, check out my blog entry!
http://www.leehaskin.blogspot.com/2010_05_01_archive.html

I realize that many new fly fishermen have little interest in our history, but Del Brown is a name every fly fishermen should know!

Rest in Peace, old friend!

Lee Haskin

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-21-2016, 10:18 AM
Thanks Lee

I don't think I ever met Del but heard lots of stories about him from Gary Anderson and Al Perryman.

I think Gary made custom fly rods for Del.

Wll Bauer was another serious Permit guy who fished mostly in Belize with his good friend Lincoln Wesby at the Blue Horizon Lodge.

I met Bill Leavy (sp) at one of /Steve Chapell's parties in the Florida Keys one spring. He was one of the first to really chase Permit.

k.hanley
04-21-2016, 12:31 PM
Nice connection Bill. Del was indeed a heavyweight on the water. I had the honor of fishing with him on SF Bay.

Lee I know you guys were top flight amigos. You've always spoke of Del highly. "Grasshopper" you now walk on the rice paper. I'm sure Del would be proud of your accomplishments.

He gave me two of flies to include in my Mexico Blue Ribbon book...the Gurgler (with his "tweeks") and his Permit Fly. I still have both of those flies in my collection. Great memories.

Keep the legacy alive.
Cheers, Ken

Lee Haskin
04-21-2016, 03:12 PM
Hi Bill,

You might be right about rods, although the only rods I recall were Sage rods. You couldn't really tell what they were after Del "customized" them. All of his rods were painted either drab army green, or later, a dull sky blue. Del was really paranoid about glare off of the rod or the fly line. They were the ugliest rods I ever saw! Grin! He spent a lot of time sculpting the cork too. They always had the thumb scooped out, so you always placed your thumb on top of the rod. He felt this made a big difference with accuracy.

Cheers,
Lee

Lance Gray
04-22-2016, 07:32 AM
I meet Del numerous times at different functions and on the water. My mentor Denton Hill introduced me to Del back in the 80's. We traded phone calls and emails and he was always a person that I could ask any question I needed at anytime. A great man. I didn't know that he passed. I saw this post and all the old memories flooded back. His passion for fly fishing was unmatched. Lee mentioned his rods. One of his rods was a custom made rod that Denton Hill made. Denton's rods trade name was the "Internationist" which I now own "the name". It was a painted grayish blue with no shine. As Lee mentioned he was always worried about reflections.

A great tier, fly fisher and friend.