PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day....Where to find a stream?

BobVP
04-13-2016, 06:55 PM
For the first time in a few years I can (and will be) somewhere on the water for the opening of the "general trout season".
Probably too much water to fish the NF Yuba, so I will get there later in the year. Probably the same with the McCloud.
My guess is the Hat and Pit will be somewhat crowded.
Fall has always been great for me but I have a trip planned there later in May.
Any smaller streams not running too high?

Where are you headed the last day in April? More importantly: What is Not going to be fishable?

Being as it is always a minimum of five hours driving for me to reach anyplace with wild trout I tend to get as much information as I can beforehand.

Have a great season.

PV_Premier
04-13-2016, 09:02 PM
For the first time in a few years I can (and will be) somewhere on the water for the opening of the "general trout season".
Probably too much water to fish the NF Yuba, so I will get there later in the year. Probably the same with the McCloud.
My guess is the Hat and Pit will be somewhat crowded.
Fall has always been great for me but I have a trip planned there later in May.
Any smaller streams not running too high?

Where are you headed the last day in April? More importantly: What is Not going to be fishable?

Being as it is always a minimum of five hours driving for me to reach anyplace with wild trout I tend to get as much information as I can beforehand.

Have a great season.

You're correct regarding NFYR. Waay too high. Some of the lower elevation feeder creeks might be fishable though...Fiddle, Goodyears, etc.

Sheepdog8404
04-14-2016, 08:11 AM
You might have to fish a tailwater. Find something below a damn and look for the flow charts on them. I imagine its going to be hard to find a creek that's not flowing high. Good luck!

cdevine
04-14-2016, 03:22 PM
You might have to fish a tailwater. Find something below a damn and look for the flow charts on them. I imagine its going to be hard to find a creek that's not flowing high. Good luck!

Agree about the tailwater. Little Truckee is year round and is pretty thin right now at 43 CFS but that is because they are filling up stampede. It should come up in the next month or so. Why wait though? You got a lot of options open right now, but that is just me. This will not be like 2012-2015. We are going to have good runoff and in many cases its already happening. Look at the east carson right now. Its flowing at 800+. Truckee is 1000+ in the canyon and into reno. The smaller tribs that feed main waters will be high until at least early June this year. I'm happy to report that. Just think more weight this spring and you will be fine. Lots of stillwater stuff too.

k9mark
04-14-2016, 04:36 PM
Ive decided I will be at a small river about forty five minutes to an hour off of hwy 108. Then I will walk upstream or downstream at least a mile and I'll be all by myself catching wild trout all day long.

cdevine
04-15-2016, 07:14 AM
Ive decided I will be at a small river about forty five minutes to an hour off of hwy 108. Then I will walk upstream or downstream at least a mile and I'll be all by myself catching wild trout all day long.

I like that. Its like the Reddington videos.. "Find your Water". 8-12' wild trout on a 3wt is fun. My idea of fishing as well.