PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii

johnsquires
04-11-2016, 11:02 AM
I read that the Big Island is not the best for fly fishing, but are there opportunities/guides? We're going to do some fishing while visiting. I didn't want to just watch a rod trolling through the water.

mems
04-11-2016, 02:56 PM
Hi John, I guide on the Big Island. We have trevally, bonefish and various reef fish like cuda etc. I am going to Christmas Island and will be gone for a week. Let me know when you are going to be here and maybe we can set up a day. My e-mail is kickithilo@yahoo.com Let me know how I can help you out. Don

johnsquires
04-11-2016, 03:29 PM
Great. I'll be in touch. Hopefully between May 7 & 14.
Have a great trip to CI.

Tony Buzolich
04-11-2016, 03:37 PM
John,

The Big Island is somewhat limited because of the lack of large wadeable flats. But, by no means is fly fishing totally off limits. I've been fly fishing there for almost forty years around the Kailua / Keahou area as well as north toward the airport and above. By all means get ahold of Don Memmer and let him shorten the learning curve for you. He'll get you into places that most tourists drive right by and would provide great fun for a first-timer there.

If you're up for it, try a 10 wt. in the surf. All kinds of fun stuff will tear the hell out of a popper, especially at dusk or dawn. Papio, Omilu, GT's, and Cuda all prowl the shoreline. Find some calmer water and use an 8 wt. and get Don to take you to some of the "royal" fish ponds.

If you're up for some bigger game on the fly, call Capt. Del Dykes for some offshore fly fishing. Mahi-mahi, aku, even small ahi and billfish can be had around the FADS. Both Del and his wife both hold fly fishing world records taken from the Kona area. Big-eye tuna ? I think was one of their records.

All of the hotels have beautiful beaches as well and all are open to the general public, though they don't promote easy access. Up north of Kona you have Mauna Kea Beach Resort, Hapuna Beach, and Aneohoumalu (sp?) that have open shallow areas for the possibility of finding some bonefish too.

I still think getting ahold of Don will be money well spent and provide you with the most professional help for a fun day there.
Tony