PDA

View Full Version : Undamn the KLamath

Andy
04-06-2016, 08:21 AM
Heading in the right direction, finally!

http://www.opb.org/news/article/klamath-dam-removal-plan-revived/

njbeast
04-06-2016, 06:15 PM
Interesting there is no evidence of native american fish camps above the location of the present day Iron Gate Dam on the Klamath...there a hieroglyphs, Indian burial grounds...but no fish camps...thought that was part of the historical claim? I'm just saying...

Andy
04-07-2016, 02:41 PM

Just saying what?

njbeast
04-07-2016, 10:54 PM
Andy,
Just saying...I have been fishing that river for twenty five years. I have met and discussed the watershed with many of the locals. I believe all four should be removed and the original watercourse restored... But EVERYONE involved in the decision wants some personal gain...farmers, natives, fishermen, Pacificorp... And will the RIVER be healthier???? What about the creeks and streams associated with the river? How will this affect the salmon spawning on Bogus Creek, the brown trout spawning habitat on Shovel Creek. Will there be enough flow to clear sediment from behind the dams? Just saying...there is always more than meets the eye. Beast

Rick J
04-08-2016, 08:31 AM
The upper Klamath tribes had water rights restored and this is the stick used to get resolution with the various groups including farmers for water allocations - some of the original agreement fell apart with Congress inaction but currently being re-visited and hopefully worked out - there is active restoration to help the upper watersheds. I too have concerns about the impacts of sediment flow in the lower river and expect it will have a negative impact for at least a couple of years not only on fishing opportunity but on the fish coming in but in the long term it has to be a good thing for the fish - lets hope for a couple of good el nino years when the dams come down!!

Andy
04-08-2016, 09:18 AM
Mother Nature works wonders on that nasty sediment, just look at the Elwha and Rogue where she took care of the muck lickity split. Whatever risk there is in removing the dams is far outweighed by the benefits in restoring the river into the natural state where its fish evolved.

I was amazed to see an old (1960's) Klamath map sponsored by almost a hundred downriver businesses, motels, cafes and guide services, that all vanished as the river slowly withered to its present state. That fishing economy will inevitably be reborn when her mighty runs return!

I know a great riffle above Copco for a muddler and a dry line, can't wait!

Andy

njbeast
04-08-2016, 01:20 PM
Sorry but I disagree with the statement "when her mighty runs return". Don't think it's going to happen. I also know many riffles above Copco. I'll be up there a couple of times this summer and fall.

Rick J
04-08-2016, 09:24 PM
Andy - my concern about the sediment on the Klamath is the Klamath is a much different river than the Elwha and the Rogue with a much flatter gradient and less flashy so that sediment may not move out near as fast as it did on the Elwha. Most believe the first year run of fish will really be impacted - again depending on the type of winter that happens when dams come out.

The Klamath issue was a hot topic at the recent Trout Unlimited Western Regional Meeting in Eugene and I spent a lot of time talking with Brian Johnson who heads up CA TU staff and was one of the major players in the agreements hammered out - long term it should help as it opens up 400+ miles of additional habitat!!

Best,
Rick

Nate Bailey
04-08-2016, 11:04 PM
If this happens again it would be sweet! I hope it does, I also hope there will be enough water for everyone. Tough stuff, I have friends on both sides. 11835

njbeast
04-11-2016, 01:04 PM
I totally agree Nate. My buddy runs cattle on Pacificorp land from the lake to the state line...lots of people depend on the water for a living...