PDA

View Full Version : What's your gear/technique?

Moose
04-04-2016, 02:08 PM
Shad run should be popping any time now. Sitting here tying a few flies and thinking about what I may need to buy in the way of gear. I haven't actively chased them in a few seasons. I have a 12 1/2' 5 weight spey and figured I use the Rage head and extra fast sinking polyleader. Not sure yet how I'm going to rig my 6 weight single hander.

What gear do you prefer for chasing shad? How does everyone rig up, two handed or single, and what flies do you prefer?

Mark Kranhold
04-04-2016, 03:26 PM
SGS Scandi full intermediate + polys on a ACR 1214

winxp_man
04-04-2016, 05:44 PM
TCX 6119.... Hard to beat. I have used down to 4wt switch rods and its not enough rod for shad that can pin themselves to the bottom of the river. Fly bloody Maria period. Us shad guys have made quite a few other variations and the Maria will produce on any given day. For evenings Jeff and I like one called a badder Santa.... ;)

Line a 400 rio max short. Tips depends on water. Who ever tells you they use only one don't know crap about shad. :)

Scott V
04-05-2016, 10:51 AM
7 weight rod with a type 4 shooting head on intermediate running line. I also carry heads from floating to deep sink. It all depends on the amount of water and the flow as to which head I will use. Straight 12 pound flouro for a leader with a bloody maria or something similar for the fly.

Mr.Matt
04-05-2016, 01:43 PM
7 weight rod with a type 4 shooting head on intermediate running line. I also carry heads from floating to deep sink. It all depends on the amount of water and the flow as to which head I will use. Straight 12 pound flouro for a leader with a bloody maria or something similar for the fly.
12 pound? I didn't think I could get away with anything over 8....
Might try heavier this year on the yak.

Jeff C.
04-05-2016, 02:40 PM
Go to set up for the American: 6119 Method, 425 Skagit Max, 15 ft DC tips, 12 lb flouro tippet, and the Maria (and variations).

Anne Vitale
04-05-2016, 09:12 PM
Jeff....what does the "DC" stand for in a 15 ft DC tip? And this may be nit picking but do you think the flouro tippet makes a difference. I have been using 10lb Maxima for years now with, admittedly, limited success and I have to blame it on something.
Anne

Mark Kranhold
04-05-2016, 09:50 PM
Anne, DC stands for density compensated and fluorocarbon has a sink rate opposed to the buoyant mono. Does it really matter? Time to get the snorkel and mask out this summer and do some R&D under water.:)

winxp_man
04-06-2016, 10:10 AM
Jeff....what does the "DC" stand for in a 15 ft DC tip? And this may be nit picking but do you think the flouro tippet makes a difference. I have been using 10lb Maxima for years now with, admittedly, limited success and I have to blame it on something.
Anne

What flies are you using and how big? Also floro will sink better then mono. These fish are funny. I will explain. One of the past seasons I was using a T11 and getting real good number of fish. My brother next to me was running T8 and nowhere near what I was getting. He switched and boom good to go. It's why I said mess around with tips. Don't just listen to someone telling you this works and that's it. Because I will tell you the next day it might change. Also time of the day matters on where the fish are in the water column. Hope this helps.

EricO
04-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Hey Aron,

Is the TCX 6119 your go to rod for coastal steelhead streams too?

Or do you jump up to a 7 wt switch rod? Just wondering. I know,
should have posted this on spey forum but too lazy. :)

EO

winxp_man
04-06-2016, 05:52 PM
For summer costal yes. But I have a back up TCX 7119 with me at all times. And if I fish a river where I want to throw something bigger my TCX 7126 comes to play.

EricO
04-06-2016, 10:51 PM
I have a 7 wt TFO that is a broomstick...that's my normal steelhead rod, but
gonna get back into the two-handed game again...leaning towards a 6 wt so
that's why I asked.

It's almost funny...kinda...when you add up the cost of the stuff we use for
fly fishing...waders, boots, rods, reels, lines, vests...not even factoring in tying flies!

And I am a sucker for the knick knacks..nippers, tying tools, the next greatest indicator.
Love all that crap! :)

EO

Morgan
04-07-2016, 06:59 AM
Ive only caught a few.
I havent got to fish for them in a real water year.
Cant wait for this year!

So my technique would be the same for fishin for them halfies.
Drift boat generally, bobber rig with a cj and caddis.
And boy are they a blast. Shred pound for pound!

Jeff C.
04-07-2016, 07:22 AM
Swinging from a drift boat can be a blast especially if you find a good sized pod and anchor above them. You get slammed on the swing. on the dangle and stripping in.

Fly Right
04-07-2016, 09:31 AM
Swinging from a drift boat can be a blast especially if you find a good sized pod and anchor above them. You get slammed on the swing. on the dangle and stripping in.

These fish love a swung fly which is why I love to fish for them. From a boat of any kind anchored up over a pod of shad you are talking a numbers game........a real hoot!
I am a wade guy. I generally use a 1266 Anderson. I start off deep when the sun is still up using a 12.5 or 15' T11 mow with 4-6 feet of 2x fluro. As the light fades I switch to a shorter mow or a 50/50 as the fish come up higher in the water column. The last 45 min of light most of the fish tend to be near the surface and in shallower water. Generally I expect to get most of my grabs on the last of the swing or the hang during this period. This isn't always the case but the general pattern.
Look for water that is moving about the pace of a mediu to fast walk.
Last year on the A was a little different. Most of my fish were caught between 5 and 7pm deep.
BTW....Marias

Stay tuned

rylcrawford
04-08-2016, 08:54 AM
This topic always makes me think of the great Bill Lowe video. RIP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_lZjo3hTEg

Mark Kranhold
04-08-2016, 09:10 AM

Awesome stuff! Miss Bill, a one of a kind person with that special sense of humor for sure! RIP good buddy!

Bryan Morgan
05-01-2016, 05:52 PM
Any of the well known Shad flies will get the job done. Depth is the key and keeping it in the strike zone, just like
Any other species of fish. Throw your shad flies with these kind of flows with a 5/32 dumbel eye and let it sit. Pink, Chartreuse, and Red will work. It's not rocket science. pm me if you want. Depth is the key.

STEELIES/26c3
05-03-2016, 09:43 AM

Yah... Bill the Coyote... trickster...

A Great guy with a strong sense of purpose and humor~

Too many river friends taken too soon for me in the last few years...