PDA

View Full Version : Carson or Walker?

Pupa
04-02-2016, 07:58 PM
My brother and I are thinking about hitting some east slope water next weekend. Anyone been to the E Carson or E/W Walker recently and willing to share some beta on fishing conditions/flows? Thanks in advance!

VinnySteel
04-03-2016, 02:26 AM
last I checked the EW was still running pretty low around 40 CFS. The E. Carson is usually blown and swollen through the spring. If I was gonna hit the East side right now I'd try the Mammoth area. If that's too far maybe give the West Walker a shot.

cdevine
04-03-2016, 08:35 AM
last I checked the EW was still running pretty low around 40 CFS. The E. Carson is usually blown and swollen through the spring. If I was gonna hit the East side right now I'd try the Mammoth area. If that's too far maybe give the West Walker a shot.

I took a trip over to the East Walker recently. I love the eastern sierra's. Flows are still boney. They were in the 60's for a couple days and are now around 34. Bridgeport Reservoir looks very good compared to the last 3 years. Water is up to marina now and the melt is just starting. The rumblings are we should see increased flows in the next 2-3 weeks. Personally I would expect them to get to around 100-125 which would be great.

Now for the fishing. You have to work hard... Walk and stealth is key. There are some big fish still in there. Similar to what I'm seeing on the Truckee I think a lot of the smaller junvenille fish got eaten. I'm just not seeing those fish in the 10-14' range. Water temps were 42 in AM increasing to 51 by afternoon. Early morning fishing was slow and in the afternoon it picked up for me. Fish were active. I caught fish on top fish some skwala stone attractors and nymphing normal stuff like mercury and zebra midges. Are overall #'s down? I think the answer is absolutely. Was I happy I made the trip...... You be the judge.1181311814

Biggest rainbow I've ever caught on the EW too. Thing fought like a steelie. Double digit days are going to be tough and you have to be pretty accurate casting because fish are hugging that structure against the banks. But I'm convinced this year is about quality and not quantity. #'s will come back with a few back to back above normal water years.

VinnySteel
04-03-2016, 12:34 PM
Beautiful fish! I miss the East Walker! Didn't fish it at all last year, it will be nice to see it with some water again.

cdevine
04-03-2016, 01:07 PM
Beautiful fish! I miss the East Walker! Didn't fish it at all last year, it will be nice to see it with some water again.

Thanks Vinnysteel. I had a free day so I went for it. I mean it wasn't ideal but the water is cold and the fish are healthy. No complaints by me. I tossed a few buggers and streamers but I didn't get any chasers. Then again a big brown crushing a skwala dry was highlight of my day. It will be really interesting to see how it progresses once the releases from bridgeport pick up here shortly. The entire area looks so much better than last year. There is snow on the peaks and more wet weather coming next week. April can still be a pretty good weather month for us.

I scouted some other water as well. West Walker is flowing pretty hard and obviously the passes are still closed so a decent amount of runoff will be happening over the next 2+ months. That water is ice cold in the canyon. I took a reading and it was 38 degree. Burrh... Personally I wouldn't fish it this early in the year. I agree about the east carson. Its flowing good and will be blown out a little for the the first part of April-May. I believe it was almost 550 CFS yesterday. For the put and takers the west carson should be ideal early on.

Personally I fish year round but for those who can't or wait until the spring/summer it should be a really good year. Last year there was so little in the way of ethical waters to fish. With water in our reservoirs and streams the options are much greater this year. Get out and enjoy.

Dick
04-03-2016, 06:45 PM
The West Walker in the canyon is now running higher and off color. Just got back from a ride up canyon.
Dick

Pupa
04-04-2016, 09:50 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses. Beautiful fish cdevine! We may give the east walker a shot if the flows are still looking decent. Speaking of which, what is the optimal flow range? Will post a report if we go. Otherwise it's looking like the feather or lower sac!

VinnySteel
04-04-2016, 11:27 PM
I'm no expert on the EW but somewhere between 150-200 cfs is
ideal if my memory serves my right.

Morgan
04-05-2016, 06:33 AM
Thanks everyone for the responses. Beautiful fish cdevine! We may give the east walker a shot if the flows are still looking decent. Speaking of which, what is the optimal flow range? Will post a report if we go. Otherwise it's looking like the feather or lower sac!

I would chose the lower sac if I were you. Its on fire. the opposite of the ew.

JasonB
04-05-2016, 07:28 AM
Flows are even lower on the EW now, down to 30cfs. WAY too low imo, not so much in terms of harmful effects on the fish but more in terms of very poor quality water to work. Yes there are fish there, but it's pretty dismal with dribbles of water through weedbeds and rocks in most places.
I like it above 80-100cfs, and even up to 200cfs is really nice, we went this spring at 60cfs out of desperation having not fished it in over a year and with limited options. It was great to be back in the area, and we did catch a few very nice fish, but not very many. Then the flows dropped to 40cfs while we were there and it was kind of like going from marginal to pitiful, would not waste my time driving over there again at such flows personally (especially since it's now even lower). I would NOT consider the conditions "decent" ... keep driving.
Good luck,
JB

cdevine
04-05-2016, 09:57 AM
Flows are even lower on the EW now, down to 30cfs. WAY too low imo, not so much in terms of harmful effects on the fish but more in terms of very poor quality water to work. Yes there are fish there, but it's pretty dismal with dribbles of water through weedbeds and rocks in most places.
I like it above 80-100cfs, and even up to 200cfs is really nice, we went this spring at 60cfs out of desperation having not fished it in over a year and with limited options. It was great to be back in the area, and we did catch a few very nice fish, but not very many. Then the flows dropped to 40cfs while we were there and it was kind of like going from marginal to pitiful, would not waste my time driving over there again at such flows personally (especially since it's now even lower). I would NOT consider the conditions "decent" ... keep driving.
Good luck,
JB

Personally I can't recall a bad day I've had on the EW. Doesn't always mean I catch monster fish but between the solitude and overall fishing I walk away a better person. I just happened to have a great day last time. But I do agree that these flows are boney and not many options to fish good runs. Its only a matter of weeks before the flows go up so give it some time. Ideally flows in the lower 100's are great for the EW but can fish great into the 200-250 range. More rain/snow later next week and Bridgeport/twin lakes are looking great. The water is coming.......

The lower sac is great if you have a drift boat, kayak, or pontoon. Not a great option to wade fish IMO.

Hard to beat the big truckee right now. Flows are big 800-900, and so are the fish. Don't expect big #'s but if you hook into a fish most likely its 18-22 inches.