PDA

View Full Version : Pedal/Paddle Lower Sacramento River

JayDubP
03-31-2016, 12:10 PM
Next week I plan to make my maiden pedaling/paddling trip with my folding bike/folding trailer and Watermaster Kodiak. This is a new experience for me and I need all the input I can get. I will post pictures. I will stop by The Fly Shop to get some flies and their advice on biking.

If you see me on the road or water, give me a shout out. We old, white haired guys need all the encouragement we can get.
I will ride from take out to put in by bike hauling everything on the trailer. The trailer becomes a luggage rack on the rear of my Watermaster to hold the folded bike.

My limit for riding this initial trip is 7 miles, which in practice rides takes me around 45mins.

QUESTIONS: Which section of Lower Sacramento is best for my pedal/paddle trip? I came up with the following routes that fit my criteria: relatively flat bike route with roads that look safe for a bicycle/trailer.
Quality of fishing is important, but also any hills on the bike trip or dangerous roads or areas are also important to know. I do not want to be too tired to fish.

if there are other routes that you think would be better, let me know. And if you think I should avoid a bike route let me know that.

Here are the stretches that seem to meet my restrictions:
Redding:
7 mile ride: put in at N Bechelli Rd (Hwy 44 bridge) take out at Cascade Park (Girvan & Island Dr)
5.8 mile ride: put in at Cypress Ave bridge – take out Cascade Park
6.1 mile ride: put in at S Bonneyville – take out Sacramento RV Park
Anderson:
7 mile ride: put in at Anderson River Park- take out Balls Ferry boat ramp
5.5 mile ride: put in Deschutes Rd Bridge – take out Balls Ferry boat ramp

dave earl
04-04-2016, 07:12 PM
I'd do posse park launch ramp to the golf course take out. Its probably a shorter ride than the others you listed.
i personally think this is the best stretch with the biggest fish. I'm not the only one that thinks that so expect company.

Awood
04-05-2016, 07:57 AM
Jelly's Ferry to Bend:
Environment=10
Fishing Pressure=10
Biking Safety=9

Bonne to Anderson:
Environment=7
Fishing Pressure=5
Biking Safety=7

Anderson to Roosters:
Environment=8
Fishing Pressure=7
Biking Safety=7

Golf Park to Bonne:
Environment=5
Fishing Pressure=4
Biking Safety=6

Rating
Best=10
Poor=1

Btw: Posse to Golf Park is closed to fishing

dude02
04-05-2016, 10:34 AM
I would opt for anything Anderson down for a maiden voyage. Too much traffic at Bonny on up for a 1st trip. Ideal would have been Posse to Aqua golf or even Cypress bridge, but the river closure from Keswick to 44 screws that up.

Anderson to Balls Ferry would be my 1st choice. Easy ramps on both ends. Fairly low traffic, though no shoulders the majority of the way.

You could do Balls to Gravel Bar, but the take out would likely require a little bit of a walk to get to good ground to ride. Very safe ride back to Balls, about 7 miles.

Give us a report. Good luck.