PDA

View Full Version : Gheenoe 15'4" Canoe/Skiff?

Idadon
03-22-2016, 06:01 AM
I've been looking at one of those Gheenoe boats to buy. Videos that I can find indicate that they perform pretty good with small motors but I'm not sure about stability. Is this thing just a wider than normal canoe? Can a guy stand and cast out of a Gheenoe without great risk of tipping?

Any opinions/advise on this boat would be greatly appreciated. I know these are made in Florida and seem to have a big following down South. I would be using it here in Southeast Idaho and Northern Ca. Thanks!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-22-2016, 06:43 AM
I think they are made just north of us in Titusville, Florida.

One of my neighbors has one with a mud motor.

He can get back into places that no one else can.

Lots of Gheenoes here in Florida.

Small Jon boats are popular too.

Fishing kayaks are very popular now too.

One or two people? is an issue.

EricO
03-22-2016, 09:24 AM
Never heard of 'em, but Googled some images and they look VERY stable.

People put some big a$$ motors on those things...lol. Hydroplane anyone?

http://www.gheenoe.net/fifteensix_classic.html

EO

TaylerW
03-22-2016, 12:05 PM
brad bohen of musky country outfitters is a fan, call him for firsthand experience?

k.hanley
03-22-2016, 12:31 PM
While tying at Renzetti's Fair (in Titusville) I was introduced to the owner of Gheenoe.

Their boat is a beauty. Crafted with excellence. I'd certainly feel safe in one. Great vehicle for exploring estuaries, rivers, and stillwaters.

Cheers, Ken

ptychocheilus
03-22-2016, 12:37 PM
Bohen runs Towee skiffs, not Gheenoes; wider transom, different hull geometry, integrated rod trays, and way more stable. You could almost stand on one of the gunnels without worry... I routinely stand on the bow cap and cast.

http://toweemarine.com/

Idadon
03-22-2016, 01:58 PM
Wow, that Towee skiff is really nice too. The specs say a 20hp prop and that's still pretty economical. Wonder if there is anywhere out west to look at those?

Idadon
03-23-2016, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the input guys! I just made an offer on a 15' Gheenoe, with trailer and a 2014 9.9 Suzuki SS. Deal includes the usual accessories. Offered $2000 and settled on $2100. Picking it up tomorrow, I'm excited. WAHOO !!

JayDubP
03-23-2016, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the input guys! I just made an offer on a 15' Gheenoe, with trailer and a 2014 9.9 Suzuki SS. Deal includes the usual accessories. Offered $2000 and settled on $2100. Picking it up tomorrow, I'm excited. WAHOO !!

Congratulations. That should fly with a 9.9HP. Where you going to do your maiden trip or do you have to wait a few weeks for ice-free water?

Idadon
03-23-2016, 10:46 AM
Most of the ice is gone but the snow is still around. Got a couple of inches last night. Probably take it to Ririe Resevoir, the closest place to try it out. The guy selling it says it will get up to 19mph on his GPS, and he's no flyweight either. I'm thinking this is going to be really fun!!