PDA

View Full Version : The end of an era...the Eureka Fly Shop is closing.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-19-2016, 05:22 PM
Here is an email I just received:

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

"ULUAGUY@aol.com
3:02 PM (2 hours ago)

to uluaguy
Much to the sadness of those of us who live in the Eureka area...Mike Kaczynski ( just a guess at spelling of name ) of "Eureka Fly Shop ' is retiring......... Mike gave us a first class inventory of fly fishing "stuff" in this small town of Eureka for years......
I don't know how long Mike was in business ,,but I do remember a few of my friends lent Mike $10,000 each to help open his first shop across from the post office on H street . .. Mike outgrew that location in a short time...he also paid back all the creditors in a short period of time...
Mike shop will be missed by the fly fishermen in the Eureka area .. I think (?) I over heard him telling someone he would still continue guiding on the Klamath River ,,,where he is regarded as the best guide on the river... We will all miss his up dates on the fishing reports his knowledge of fishing and tying ...

Thanks Mike You taught many of us how to tie flies how to fish how to appreciate the rivers..
........... A side personal story........... one can buy flies at Mikes for about $1.85 a fly........ Because of all the "stuff" Mike convinced me I just had to have $300 vices, $80 capes. 26 different color threads, 9-10 different bobbins . I now have the cost of my flies down to about $6 a fly THANKS MIKE !!!!

If you want to give Mike a call his contact information is
:Fly Shop,Mike
Category: Uncategorized
Email
Other E-Mail: mike@eurekaflyshop.com
Phone
work : 444-2000

I remain, as always,
The Ultimate

PS there are some great buys at Eureka Fly Shop RIGHT NOW Tears come to Mike's eyes as he trembling fingers hits a key seldom used by Mike ,,,"discount".... on the cash register .... But he goes through with the sale... "

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-21-2016, 07:40 AM
Mostly Mike has some physical issues (back problems) that make it hard for him to keep up the pace of guiding and running a fly shop.

He will be fine and will finally have some time to do things he wants to do.

Mike ran a good fly shop and guide service for many years.

Terry Thomas
03-21-2016, 07:50 AM
Nice shop and one of the good guys in the business. And that laugh...!