PDA

View Full Version : Streams/Rivers near South Lake Tahoe

KillerSloth
03-16-2016, 09:33 AM
My family is coming out from the midwest to visit at the end of May/early June, and they are going to be staying in South Lake Tahoe. My dad and I want to try to sneak away for at least 1 day to get some fishing in, but I've never really fished that area (mainly fished the I-80 corridor/North Lake side). I was thinking of either trying EF Carson River or the Silver Fork of the American, but not sure what shape they will be in come May/June. Figured I would check here to get peoples input on those 2 rivers or to see if there are any other areas that people would recommend. I would go scout them first, but have a baby due at the end of April (the reason for the visit) so I don't think I'll be able to sneak away before they get here.

I'm not opposed to pond/lake fishing either, as I have a pontoon and a float tube that we could use.

Also, does anyone know some good guides for that area? Not sure it's something we would do, but may look into that as an option as well.

Thanks!

cdevine
03-16-2016, 10:41 AM
My family is coming out from the midwest to visit at the end of May/early June, and they are going to be staying in South Lake Tahoe. My dad and I want to try to sneak away for at least 1 day to get some fishing in, but I've never really fished that area (mainly fished the I-80 corridor/North Lake side). I was thinking of either trying EF Carson River or the Silver Fork of the American, but not sure what shape they will be in come May/June. Figured I would check here to get peoples input on those 2 rivers or to see if there are any other areas that people would recommend. I would go scout them first, but have a baby due at the end of April (the reason for the visit) so I don't think I'll be able to sneak away before they get here.

I'm not opposed to pond/lake fishing either, as I have a pontoon and a float tube that we could use.

Also, does anyone know some good guides for that area? Not sure it's something we would do, but may look into that as an option as well.

Thanks!

EF Carson and Silver Fork are pretty much "put and take" type fisheries. Nothing wrong with that especially for kids. Hell I've fished those a number of times. Crowds can get a little big on the EF Carson and you do have bait people to deal with. But you can also hit up the West Fork of the Carson and do some hiking and get away from people as well. There is tons of fishing opportunities on that side. Lots of lakes. Caples and Silver are just up near Kirkwood. Would be great from a pontoon or Kayak. Bottom line is you have lots of options and our water situation is much better. I would actually expect some higher run off during May. Haven't said that in a long time.

I know Tahoe Fly Fishing Outfitters has a bunch of guides that sort of specialize in the south side of Tahoe.

Good luck

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-16-2016, 11:13 AM
http://tahoeflyfishing.com/

They will have very good info for their area.

TFFO has very good guide service.

They will be able to sell you some good flies too.

k9mark
03-16-2016, 05:15 PM

Thanks!

EF Carson off Wolf Rd and Wolf Creek.

Morgan
03-16-2016, 05:31 PM
We all wonder what the rivers will look like in may/june.
Wont know until mother nature shows us...
But as stated the east and west fork of the carsons...you can fish lazy near bridges for stockers or put some foot work in for wilds and less crowds.
All the lakes in the area should be iced out as well.
Its more what the weather does and how much of an adventure you would like to do.

Fly Guy Dave
03-17-2016, 08:31 AM
From my experience, the EF of the Carson comes into shape later in the season when we have a normal snow year. I would wager it would still be high and off color in late May/early June. If you do decide to wet a line, pay attention to the DFW regs as down stream from the Hangman's Bridge, it is barbless hooks only and zero limit. The only "put and take" section is upstream from Hangman's. The WF of the Carson might be a better choice.

KillerSloth
03-18-2016, 11:28 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. Will definitely take it into consideration, and hopefully we can catch some fish. I'll definitely be checking regulations since I am not familiar with the area. I typically fish barbless and C&R anyway, but it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to the regulations.